Way Too Early BB Top 25 for 2017

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ketball-way-too-early-top-25-rankings-2017-18

5. Florida Gators

The short version of the history of Florida basketball is roughly as follows: decades of practical nonexistence; a few seasons under Lon Kruger; and Pax Donovana. When Billy Donovan, the most successful coach in Gators hoops history by a laughable margin, left two summers ago, it was safe to wonder whether they could possibly sustain it without him. Wonder no more. Donovan's replacement, Mike White -- the last great hire of legendary Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley's tenure (he retired in October 2016) -- has answered that question only two seasons in. The core of an already emergent Gators squad will remain intact in White's third year, led by KeVaughn Allen and Chris Chiozza, one of the nation's best (and fastest) backcourts. White could start five significant contributors from the current Elite Eight group while mixing in a top-10 recruiting class (led by forward Isaiah Stokes) and two transfers (Jalen Hudson and Dontay Bassett). This was already one of the nation's best teams. It's only going to get better. Billy who?

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah I was thinking we would be ranked in the preseason in the top 15. We will finish this year ranked in the top 8. Not bad for starting the season UNRANKED.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Really think we can win it all next season. I've also seen a Top 25 that has us projected to be 19...so a wide range early and the preseason ranking will be dependent on who stays

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Silly poll is silly, punctuated by the fact they listed Bassett as a transfer. We've done this exercise not too long ago where I think we were ranked in the top 15 for next year (still too high, IMO). Now we're getting a lot of love for getting to the Elite 8. We lose an entire team of experienced players this year that helped get us there: Hill, Leon, DRob, Barry and Egbunu. To think that we'll get back to the Elite 8 next season with Allen as the only blue-chipper is crazy talk. I'd love for it to happen, but it's crazy talk nonetheless.
crazy-talk.gif

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They don't even have SC ranked anywhere...

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We still have a ton of experience returning and Coach Mike White has SHOWN the ability to blend a team together and have SUCCESS. We should be a program that can get 20-24 wins and get into the NCAA Tourney. White doing work with these Gators!! Go Gators!!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah I was thinking we would be ranked in the preseason in the top 15. We will finish this year ranked in the top 8. Not bad for starting the season UNRANKED.
I believe the first NC team we had started unranked, right?

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah we were ranked as low as 73 to begin the year in 05-06 and WON it all baby doll!!

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

Maybe LeeforThree was on to something..

Didn't know about Stokes, let's hope he can play some freshman year.

Good news- seems all but certain that Allen is coming back.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure this projection is realistic given the unanswered personnel questions:

- Is DRob gone?
- Is Allen back?
- Is Egbunu coming back?
- Is Hudson really a player or an underachiever?
- Will Hayes gain 20 pounds of muscle?
- Can Hester step up and be a good second point?
- Can anyone other than Allen and Stone consistently make an outside shot?

I could go on but you get the idea.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just received an alert that Eggy, along with Robinson, will test the NBA waters.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure this projection is realistic given the unanswered personnel questions:

- Is DRob gone?
- Is Allen back?
- Is Egbunu coming back?
- Is Hudson really a player or an underachiever?
- Will Hayes gain 20 pounds of muscle?
- Can Hester step up and be a good second point?
- Can anyone other than Allen and Stone consistently make an outside shot?

I could go on but you get the idea.
Hayes doesn't need 20 lbs of muscle. He's ling and he's a leaper. I don't know how well he'd carry it. I also fully expect okauru to be our 2nd pg. If that answers 2 of your questions.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Maybe LeeforThree was on to something..

Didn't know about Stokes, let's hope he can play some freshman year.

Good news- seems all but certain that Allen is coming back.

Where was allen gonna go?

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Jalen Hudson is a transfer? Is that a good thing or should we insist that White get it done with players he recruited? Not sure if that rule only applies to Mac?

White did take Barry last season. Now he has another transfer? I hear those one and done band aid rejects from other schools is a sure sign our coach sucks. It absolutely means he has no confidence in the players he already has. This doesn't bode well for our future. I know it's true because I heard it on GC.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Never know brah. We've seen plenty of less talented guys leave early. Allen will play in the association.
Yeah, i doubt that. I love allen and he's a great college player but there's not too many 6'2" shooting guards in the nba.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Jalen Hudson is a transfer? Is that a good thing or should we insist that White get it done with players he recruited? Not sure if that rule only applies to Mac?

White did take Barry last season. Now he has another transfer? I hear those one and done band aid rejects from other schools is a sure sign our coach sucks. It absolutely means he has no confidence in the players he already has. This doesn't bode well for our future. I know it's true because I heard it on GC.
When mac starts performing remotely even close to the level of coach white ,he'll get the benefit of the doubt. Also ,there's a big difference between taking the number 1 rated grad transfer(according to espn) and taking a 3rd stringer who can't throw.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Funny ,I thought the negators were derailing every thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb