We could have been playing Idaho this week

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n89171 said:
Opting to not play the Idaho game was a little bit of a gamble. Some felt like we needed every guaranteed win we could get to ensure a bowl game. The counter argument to that was that if we needed 1 win to get us to 6 wins, he was toast regardless. I think WM and Foley both adopted that opinion, which is somewhat respected. The problem is that similar to Zook turning down a contract extension prior to 2004 with the hopes that his performance that season would warrant a better version(also commendable) the gamble turned out wrong. We can argue about the merit all we want, but 7-5 just may have been enough to get him by based on perception. I don't see 6-5 doing that. Probably better for UF in the long run.

I see where you're coming from, and I get it from a "we need to get rid of Muschamp ASAP" point of view, but I also think about the kids, and their desire to play the games and benefit from every opportunity to learn something and get better. Especially now that we have a new starting QB. 2 weeks in a red jersey against our #1s is still 2 weeks in a red jersey. There's no real comparison to facing a defense that's going to blitz and try to put your @ss in the dirt at every opportunity. One more game under live fire could be the difference between being ready to face UGA or being unsure of himself and his reads/timing.

ntcrze

Founding Member
Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Who cares what any of us think about it. Think about the players. If they finish with only five wins, that's the second year in a row they don't get to go to a bowl. A minor (very minor) bowl may be meaningless to the fans who have higher expectations, but it does mean something to the players. They get to go on a trip and get some nice goodies. They are also treated like royalty by the town they visit. It beats staying at home in Gainesville and just stewing for even longer about a failed season. If you win, it gives the team some momentum going into the next season. If Florida doesn't go to a bowl, the last game to go into the next season will probably be a whipping in Tallahassee. I guess Foley was a little too confident about this team and couldn't imagine the Idaho game being important to UF's chances for bowl eligibility.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze;n89492 said:
Who cares what any of us think about it. Think about the players. If they finish with only five wins, that's the second year in a row they don't get to go to a bowl. A minor (very minor) bowl may be meaningless to the fans who have higher expectations, but it does mean something to the players. They get to go on a trip and get some nice goodies. They are also treated like royalty by the town they visit. It beats staying at home in Gainesville and just stewing for even longer about a failed season. If you win, it gives the team some momentum going into the next season. If Florida doesn't go to a bowl, the last game to go into the next season will probably be a whipping in Tallahassee. I guess Foley was a little too confident about this team and couldn't imagine the Idaho game being important to UF's chances for bowl eligibility.

STFU, Nole.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
WM has a better chance of a happy ending by just playing with himself.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n88651 said:
Kinda funny in hind sight. We didn't think for one second we'd miss a bowl so a piss ant like Idaho doesn't matter. Just like he came out and said we aren't going to play fcs schools anymore 2 months after losing to one.

Who didn't think we'd miss a bowl?

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
I'd like to interupt this thread about whether we need an Idaho win and whether a sh!tty bowl is worth it to remind everyone that we are GATORS. I've moved on from this coach and this season.
As one would expect, the NCAA playoff system has garnered no attention from Gator fans, yet. But let's start expecting to go to the Sugar, Rose, Cotton, Peach, Orange, or Fiesta bowl every single year beginning in 2015!!
Go Gators!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator