We had it wrong all along

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It appears our much maligned former coach and OC had the best interest of the players development in their hearts, as they were doing their best to prepare them to play in the NFL.

"NFL quarterbacks throw short of the first-down sticks nearly two-thirds of the time on long third downs." from the article.

All the armchair coaches here screaming to throw it beyond the line of scrimmage or past the first down marker, pffff, don't quit your day jobs

/s

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/...-injury-acl-knee-philadelphia-eagles-disaster

and we thought it was just us that that felt their passing game was a shadow of our past glory days.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Without reading the article, I'm sure the rationale is defenses are playing a deep zone on 3rd & long, so throwing it underneath and giving the receiver room to run after the catch is a decent strategy. And it is. But at least get the throw somewhat close to the sticks. Don't throw a 2 yard pass when you have 10 to go. Throw a 7 or 8 yard pass. And when you throw that 7 or 8 yard pass, don't have the receiver's back to the defense so he has to turn around and get his momentum going. Hit him on a route moving towards the first down marker, or at the very least, moving horizontally so he has some momentum already built up.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Strategy and route concepts are meaningless if the clueless coaching staff cannot teach this to the players.
I didn't read the article because I am trying to forget what I have witnessed for the last three seasons so that my mind is clear and I won't freak out when I see competent offense again....hopefully.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Total crap. WR's change routes at the LOS per QB audibles all the time so the idea that the route can't be changed is BS. Second, If a WR runs a route 1 yd short of the stick, makes the catch and gets tackled short of the first down then the route was useless particularly in man coverage and that shouldn't even be debated. That may be what the NFL is doing but there is a lot of BAD football being played in the NFL right now and much of the coaching looks like shyt to me.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

I thought that if you had the right training you can change the routes in real time, so that after your pre snap read you identify a change in the defense you have options. Not to mention I have seen QBs in the NFL look at a receiver and get him to change his route since they both saw the same thing.

I remember a great wide receiver that believed that blocking defensive backs on running plays got better results on passing plays because they had an experience of being physically abused.

I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator