We need you, Mr. Two Bits

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Florida fans have always been a tough sell. Take 1949, for example. After the Gators went all Butters and dropped five of their final six games the previous season, the fans had become a bit, shall we say, put off. They mercilessly booed the team for the home opener against the Citadel. Morale was at a low point

Enter George Edmondson, a retired WWII Navy fighter pilot who worked in the insurance biz in Tampa. From the stands, he led the fans in a highly demonstrative and energetic cheer by adding up bits, or eighths, of a dollar while wildly waving his arms to lead the fans along.

The Gators won the game and so began a tradition that has lasted till this day.

Mr. Two Bits.

George Edmondson is 96 now, too frail to attend the games but still every bit as much a diehard Gator. He and his wife, Jane, watch the games on TV. They sponsor the Mr. Two Bits Scholarship Fund that benefits UF cheerleading. He was inducted into the UF Athletic Hall of Fame as an honorary letter earner in 1992 and was named an honorary alumnus in 2005.

Edmondson is the very essence of why it's great to be a Gator.

I can't imagine life as a UF student or fan without the crazy gray-haired guy in the yellow button down and saddle shoes maniacally leading the stadium in his famous cheer.

TWO BITS, FOUR BITS, SIX BITS, A DOLLAR.

ALL FOR THE GATORS, STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!

We need you more than ever, Mr. Two Bits. Please help us, will you?

Mr_Two_Bits.jpg

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
It was a goal of mine and I actually took the whistle to a game or two and led my section back in the 80s. The guy was one of a kind. You want a real statue of a real gator for over 8 decades......he is your guy.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
A new Gator tradition in the making? Seems like a natural to select an honorary "Mr. Two Bits"
for the Gator home games to help carry on the memory of old George.

cs_gator

Nov 12, 2017
A new Gator tradition in the making? Seems like a natural to select an honorary "Mr. Two Bits"
for the Gator home games to help carry on the memory of old George.
That's what they've been doing for the last few years.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's what they've been doing for the last few years.
Who's the dimwit who interviewed him? Fuchs' first comment was how amazing it felt leading 90,000 people in a cheer. Fifteen seconds later, she's asking how it feels leading a stadium of 90,000 in a cheer.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I remember going with dad to my first Gator game (77 or 78). I kept seeing a section of fans stand up and holler and had no idea why. Dad explained the Mr 2 Bits tradition and later in the game he showed up to lead our section. It’s one of the Gator traditions that has me hopelessly hooked on UF for life, in all kinds of weather!

Go Gators!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator