We Talkin Bout The State of the Program!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Once a generation? The Kresser example? You are saying that it is rare for a talented QB to be riding the bench because there is another talented QB ahead of them?

In my previous post I listed the FSU QBs from 1987 to 2000. Most of that list is talented QBs that sat on the bench until their junior or senior season because there was a talented QB in front of them.

Jacob Coker transferred to Alabama because he couldn't get on the field at FSU. Coker won a NC.

Troy Smith won a Heisman at OSU. He didn't become the starting QB until his third season and he only got the position then because the guy in front of him got hurt.

I can come up with examples all day. That's hardly a once in a generation situation.
So now the point has shifted from a kid so great that he has to transfer because he cant get on the field but still can win a championship, to one where kids simply sit behind other talented upperclassmen until its their turn. I can come up with examples of that all day long as well, but that wasn't your point, and we all know it.

As far as coker is concerned, give me a freakin break. He won a title for the same reason bama wins titles all the time, defense, run game, and sabans recruiting. Coker was a mehh player at his very best. If he's the best example you can point to then youve already lost the argument.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
You may be correct, but I can't find a single post of his that has a typical Vulcanism in it....of course he has his posting history blocked....Lester was VERY transparent. Please provide a quote that contains a Lesterism if you will.
It's Vulcan... go read his PF posts

macNCheeseB

Mar 1, 2016
Watched that podcast thingy they did last night. Sure sounds like Trask is dropping bombs all over the place, just needs to learn how to lead the offense and gain some confidence and he could be special. Word is Franks is the guy taking the lead and breaking down film though. Should be an interesting spring.
What is the podcast thing? I guess, which site has it? I'd like to catch up on things on the field.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I simply copied and pasted all of that information from the sites listed at the bottom of my post. When I saw the info on this board that Sirk might become a Gator, I honestly had no idea who he was. Never heard of him since I don't follow Duke football. I looked him up and posted the info in case there were others that had never heard of him. I wasn't manipulating anything. I simply posted a timeline of Sirk at Duke with stats and references.

By the way, I honestly think Driskel could have been a good QB at Florida if he had played for a coach like Spurrier instead of a coach that despised offense.
I agree, right or wrong I put the Driskel situation (and frankly many of our problems now) squarely on Chump

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Reading between the lines on what little bit we get out of practice and what Franks has actually done since departing his high school I am afraid we might have another Driskel on our hands. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Trask starts most of this upcoming season. Franks may get the courtesy first chance since he was a blue chipper however.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Reading between the lines on what little bit we get out of practice and what Franks has actually done since departing his high school I am afraid we might have another Driskel on our hands. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Trask starts most of this upcoming season. Franks may get the courtesy first chance since he was a blue chipper however.
Ive got a serious concern we dont have anyone capable of being a legitimate starter at the position. I doubt mac's knowledge at the position, he ran off grier thinking ldr would be more than sufficient - a real indicator his head was firmly up his backside. And now we have 2 guys that HE recruited who so far sound like more of the same. Either he cant recruit them, cant develop them, or just doesn't know talent from crap but it doesn't really matter either way because the result will be the same. Hope I'm wrong but there's not much to point to yet to think so.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ive got a serious concern we dont have anyone capable of being a legitimate starter at the position. I doubt mac's knowledge at the position, he ran off grier thinking ldr would be more than sufficient - a real indicator his head was firmly up his backside. And now we have 2 guys that HE recruited who so far sound like more of the same. Either he cant recruit them, cant develop them, or just doesn't know talent from crap but it doesn't really matter either way because the result will be the same. Hope I'm wrong but there's not much to point to yet to think so.

Yep him thinking LDR would be our answer makes me doubt his knowledge with QBs some. Heck that coach with the rival team said LDR didnt have the stuff to be an SEC starter before the season ever started. He probably saw him in practice when he was at Bama.

Even with the paid service guys giving their positive spin on things you still hear Franks can't hit some patterns good at all and is sailing the ball etc. It sounds like he is still interception prone. Trask I don't really know what to think but it does sound like he isn't having the same issues as Franks is with his passing. They definitely want the blue chipper to start it appears and are giving him most of the 1st team reps I guess.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Articles aren't saying anything ... or the QBs aren't doing anything. All that gets mentioned is one TD pass from Feleipe to Cleveland. What about saying something like FF went 13-19 and KT went 12-16? Something? Was Feleipe's throw 30-40-50-60 yards in the air. I assume from the writers' lack of conviction that they were not even there - got it hearsay.?

macNCheeseB

Mar 1, 2016
Articles aren't saying anything ... or the QBs aren't doing anything. All that gets mentioned is one TD pass from Feleipe to Cleveland. What about saying something like FF went 13-19 and KT went 12-16? Something? Was Feleipe's throw 30-40-50-60 yards in the air. I assume from the writers' lack of conviction that they were not even there - got it hearsay.?

It is eerie how little has been written or talked about spring practice since the first day or two. I mean, we hardly know that practice is even going on based on the information I can find. I was hoping more on the board could have some inside info or at least be able to attend an open session or two and let the rest of us smucks who are far from the motherland know what is going on. Did they close all parts of practice?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It is eerie how little has been written or talked about spring practice since the first day or two. I mean, we hardly know that practice is even going on based on the information I can find. I was hoping more on the board could have some inside info or at least be able to attend an open session or two and let the rest of us smucks who are far from the motherland know what is going on. Did they close all parts of practice?

I agree... there isn't much talk about spring practice at all.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I agree... there isn't much talk about spring practice at all.
Yeah, and it gives me a bad feeling. I don't know if there's ever been a time when a qb was looking really good that the info didnt filter out fast and in a lot of detail. I don't think no news is good news for this team.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, and it gives me a bad feeling. I don't know if there's ever been a time when a qb was looking really good that the info didnt filter out fast and in a lot of detail. I don't think no news is good news for this team.

I don't pretend to know if it is good or bad. I think if the QBs looked really bad you would see some news coming out as well, but in reality, we aren't seeing news on anything, not on WRs, RBs, D, etc...

It isn't like we just aren't seeing news on QBs.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I don't pretend to know if it is good or bad. I think if the QBs looked really bad you would see some news coming out as well, but in reality, we aren't seeing news on anything, not on WRs, RBs, D, etc...

It isn't like we just aren't seeing news on QBs.
I got a feeling they look the same as driskel, treoff, brisset and the rest of them did. make some plays, not make some plays, etc... but nothing really exciting. It also bothers me that the local media pumps the snot out of whoever it is at the position during the offseason even though they actually suck. We aren't even seeing the driskel like pumping for this batch. Either the media has completely changed, or theres nothing to pump. Full disclosure - I have a hard time believing the media has changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.