We Talkin Bout The State of the Program!

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I'm sorry... what thread is this again? Practice? Recruiting? Jake Allen doesn't like harbaw?

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We might as well add Mac ran Will Grier off, it's infiltrating all the other threads. And that NEVER gets old.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Reading your post led me to a question. How many QB's develop in college? ...or perhaps what does developing a QB in college look like concretely?

Here's what I mean. In recent years there have been numerous QB's who started and made huge impacts early in their careers.
Deshaun Watkins
Lamar Jackson
Johnny Bunghole
Sam Darnold
Baker Mayfield (a walkon who started his freshman season)
Jake Browning
Jalen Hurts
Tim Tebow
Sam Bradford
Colt McCoy
Youget Mypoint

Most of theses guys (who have completed their career) were really good in their first season and didn't show massive improvement over their career (at least statistically). When I think of recent Heisman winners, they were either good from the get go or didn't play because they were behind entrenched starters. I'm sure there is an adjustment from college and I'm sure they are trying to learn and they're being taught. I just wonder if it's accurate or realistic to think you can take a QB and change him from a mediocre player to a star through coaching. Maybe at the college level (at least) they either have it or they don't.

Can you think of a recent example of a guy who was good at the end of his college career who wasn't bad or behind an entrenched starter in his early years?
Without giving it a great deal of thought, Eason may be part of the answer in 2 or 3 years.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He ran Driskel off also who promptly threw for 4000 yards and made it on an NFL roster. Don't forget that.

Still on a roster, amazingly enough... right under McElwain Recruit and Product AJ McCarron (irony).

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel was horrid in the pre-season for SF - people still can't see why Cincy picked him up as their 3rd QB. That is definitely a head scratcher as he Driskeled big time at SF in their preseason games.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I'm sorry... what thread is this again? Practice? Recruiting? Jake Allen doesn't like harbaw?
I think now it's about how Mac has ran off the amazingly talented QBs that Chump left him. I think Mac had a hand in running off Cam also but Crete knows more about that - he gets invited to those meetings.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think now it's about how Mac has ran off the amazingly talented QBs that Chump left him. I think Mac had a hand in running off Cam also but Crete knows more about that - he gets invited to those meetings.

Yeah, if Cam had only stolen Clarabelle.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel was horrid in the pre-season for SF - people still can't see why Cincy picked him up as their 3rd QB. That is definitely a head scratcher as he Driskeled big time at SF in their preseason games.

At least according to NFL network (during the season) it was a combination of desperation on Cinci's part (not having a legit guy after McCarron) and the thought around the league that the 49ers organization was poorly run and couldn't evaluate talent (as we know now they cleaned house this off-season). So what is the issue with taking a flier with athletic talent, maybe he just wasn't coached right. I could understand Driskel being on a practice squad as a camp arm, but not on an actual 53 man roster.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

On that same day, he also said that Toney is "Impressive"
http://gridironnow.com/kadarius-toney-florida-freshman-quarterback/

And just yesterday Nuss said he believes UF can win with Franks or Trask at the helm.
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...ors-can-win-with-feleipe-franks-or-kyle-trask

I'm not sure we have enough starting QB spots for all these guys :couch:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone believe that Nuss is going to be here next year or that he has a clue about offense or QBs?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Does anyone believe that Nuss is going to be here next year or that he has a clue about offense or QBs?

What a bonus if Franks performs well enough to boost our offense so nuss will get plenty of HBC job offers that take him far away.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I could understand Driskel being on a practice squad as a camp arm, but not on an actual 53 man roster.
As I understand it, if he wasn't held on the 53 man roster, he returned to SF (or was a free agent). Something like a Rule 5 draft from MLB.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He's been offered before. And if chump could land a HBC gig after the dumpster fire he lit at UF, anyone can get a HBC job. ANYONE.
Well if you mean some div 2 school. I mean a real offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator