Status
Not open for further replies.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gotta wait another week to get the stench out.

SC Gator

Sorta Kinda
Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Gatoravatara;n38737 said:
I've never seen this ever.
The only other time was the Kentucky UF .......basketball game in the Georgia Dome when the tornadoes came through during SEC tourney

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Someone on ESPN said you had to play 12 but I am not sure if that is true.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
sonomagator;n38733 said:
24/7 posted the rule , from the SEC Game Management Book." Once a game has been started after an initial suspension , and becomes suspended again the game can't resume after midnight local time, or 2 hours following the 2nd suspension- whichever is later." http;// florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Florida-season-opener-terminated-by-lightning-strikes-30724374/ A lightning strike was detected at 9:52 pm .Therefore according to the rules they COULD NOT restart the game. It wasn't Foley, the coaches being scared or pressuring the refs it's the idiotic SEC and their arbitrary rules. They're also the ones who set how close the strikes have to be to suspend a game. The Idaho AD says there's 2 things they can do 1) Play a new game or 2) determine the game is a no contest. The Florida Athletic Dept, says they will have to discuss the options and hash things out. They also say they will be making an announcement about refunds etc.

The radar showed things being clear at around 11:15 and they had until about 11:45 I think.
The SEC also has a determined time that you have to wait before restarting after the last lightning strike, I don't remember the time. I want to say 1/2 hour, but not sure.Thers also the time to get the teams on the field etc, etc. During the softball season one of the teams, I think Bama, had the same situation and had to do a replay.Quite frankly I don't feel like looking it up right now. I don't agree with it but I think the SEC is scared of injuries or lawsuits so are over cautious.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
It's unrealistic to expect a football game to start at 11:30pm local time, regardless of field conditions. Starting a game that late would put players in jeopardy due to fatigue. They made the right choice to suspend the game.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
sonomagator;n38733 said:
24/7 posted the rule , from the SEC Game Management Book." Once a game has been started after an initial suspension , and becomes suspended again the game can't resume after midnight local time, or 2 hours following the 2nd suspension- whichever is later." http;// florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Florida-season-opener-terminated-by-lightning-strikes-30724374/ A lightning strike was detected at 9:52 pm .Therefore according to the rules they COULD NOT restart the game. It wasn't Foley, the coaches being scared or pressuring the refs it's the idiotic SEC and their arbitrary rules. They're also the ones who set how close the strikes have to be to suspend a game. The Idaho AD says there's 2 things they can do 1) Play a new game or 2) determine the game is a no contest. The Florida Athletic Dept, says they will have to discuss the options and hash things out. They also say they will be making an announcement about refunds etc.

The radar showed things being clear at around 11:15 and they had until about 11:45 I think.
they could have played it most likely - the coaches got nervous seeing those guys sliding like that and used the further delay to make people think that wasn't the reason probably - imo anyway.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
QueenCityGator;n38756 said:
It's unrealistic to expect a football game to start at 11:30pm local time, regardless of field conditions. Starting a game that late would put players in jeopardy due to fatigue. They made the right choice to suspend the game.

They would have no problem doing it if the original start time was 9 PM I bet.

granitegator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
i think the players have to start and stop get loose could lead to injuries more than sliding in the rain

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
The make up date will be 10/25 probably - we both have open dates then (if it has to be replayed).
Hope not we need that to practice for the leg humpers

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
sonomagator;n38733 said:

Just read on another site that the decision was made by the SEC and Refs, they consulted with the AD'S .Say now that the field was in terrible shape and they were worried about safety. Also, they have to wait one half hour after the last lightning strike ( within 8 miles) before allowing the players on the field to rewarm up, that would have put them over the 2 hour rule which factored in .

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
This is 100% on Muschamp. He just didn't have the team ready to play.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
QueenCityGator said:
Disagree. It was the wrong choice and everyone involved should be fired and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
QueenCityGator said:
I'm with Ox.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm still in shock. And to be honest, I really can't think of a legitimate reason why it couldn't be played tomorrow or Monday.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What's funny is there isn't a damn person who was gonna be playing in that game that is home sleeping right now. Hell, its STILL not midnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.