ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous said:
Free Gator;n39121 said:
They look out for the players, not you.
No doubt. From here on out they need to cancel all high school, college, or pro football games that have a wet or snowy field.
And have gotten season and career ending injuries too. But I get it. The UF Athletic Assocation made a call, so it surely must have been a bad one.

We have been on of the top five schools in the nation for a decade out of sheer luck.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n39283 said:
Based on what I saw there was more water on the field for that first play then during the 2008 game in Tally. I definitely could see how it was unsafe for the players and with the amount of rain that occurred there was no reason to think the field would have improved enough by midnight to ensure safety. The other thing to think about is that the field would have taken a beating from playing a game with that much water on it. They may not have been able to get the field ready for the next two home games. Believe it or not.. grass does not just take to having a ton of water poured on it then people in spikes ripping it up. The bottom line is that the correct decision was made here.. I get that people are disappointed... we all wanted the game and from what I hear the players were also really ready to go, but it wasn't mean to be, so we'll wait one more week and everything will be fine.
I remember the hardest rain came down after the kickoff and the players were cleared from the field. Before that, I remained hopeful they would play, no matter how late. I was loading my 4 year old up with cola and m&m's. It backfired as he was bouncing around in the RV for an hour or two after we walked back. All in all, he had a blast though :bananaparty:

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A 4 year old hopped up on cola and m&m's ? In a trailer ? :inout:Damn Phan you like to live dangerously ! :D

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
How was the weather yesterday (Sunday) afternoon in G-ville between noon and 4? Why not play it then, the field would have drained nicely after the rain stopped.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's funny, everyone that was in Gainesville fully understands and accepts the situation. Everyone that was sitting at home is whining....2 days later.

As for turning around and playing a game 12 hours later, there are A LOT of logistics that need to be worked out, it's not as simple as saying, hey...go play NOW! We won't even go into the fact that the field was probably completely bogged down and would have been torn to shreds after a quarter.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No, they couldn't have. The right decision was made.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Awe c'mon. I've seen lightning a million times but I've never seen it hit anyone. Just old wives tales.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
threatmatrix;n39842 said:
Awe c'mon. I've seen lightning a million times but I've never seen it hit anyone. Just old wives tales.

:lies:

:dance:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n38930 said:
No, there is no such rule.

Then ESPN needs to get its facts straight, because they said that multiple times on ESPN and their SEC Network.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm with Phan and Quenny. The stadium was a freaking blast and the energy in the crowd was amazing. I will never forget that night. I just wish that I brought a second flask of bourbon with me. When the teams were pulled off the field after the kickoff return, many thousands of people left. I upgraded my seats to the best spot I could think of. Although the game should have definately been called.... I still wish I could have watched a game from these seats (pic was taken around 10 pm).

Attachments

• conv_587.JPG
    conv_587.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 47
  • conv_588.JPG
    conv_588.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 41

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I say leave it cancelled. Our common bye week is a needed rest period before UGA, let's keep that.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
bradgator2 said:
I'm with Phan and Quenny. The stadium was a freaking blast and the energy in the crowd was amazing. I will never forget that night. I just wish that I brought a second flask of bourbon with me. When the teams were pulled off the field after the kickoff return, many thousands of people left. I upgraded my seats to the best spot I could think of. Although the game should have definately been called.... I still wish I could have watched a game from these seats (pic was taken around 10 pm).
Oh so YOU were the drunk in my seats!

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hate that the game was cancelled, but it was the right call.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wow glad i was busy this weekend and didn't get to read this thread until now...we have some absolutely embarrassing posters on this site. Vicious storm, 1,100 lightning strikes, swamped field...yeah heads should roll for all the inconvenience. Probably muschamps fault.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Good God. When are you same group of guys going to let fans be emotional? Let it go for Christ's sake. People complain about all the bickering and then they keep on stoking the flames.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, I'm just going to close this so it doesn't go on for another six pages about who is a "reasonable" fan and who isn't. :rolleyes:

It's the first game coming off our worst season in decades and it was cancelled, as far as I know the first Gator game in history cancelled for weather. People are going to be pissed off, especially after they ran the players out there for a kickoff. Generalizing the entire board as "stupid", "morons", "embarrassing" because they were upset is irritating to me.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator said:
I say leave it cancelled. Our common bye week is a needed rest period before UGA, let's keep that.
I read a story this morning, not sure if it was Bleacher Report, or somewhere else, but Idaho isn't particularly interested in rescheduling for Oct 25 either. They prefer a game in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator