Welcome new UF Basketball Coach Michael White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
VulcanAlex;n220178 said:
Sounds like a good deal, but I wonder what our assistants are going to do. It would be nice to keep at least one.
They should all leave if they have the pride . I mean White over Grant or Pelfrey? Really? What must they be thinking? Foley gave this unknown coach 6 years guaranteed and he was basically a minor league college basketball coach. People can say Billy wasn't big time when he was hired by Foley and that's true. But still. When Foley hired Mac I was disappointed. Now I am more disappointed with the hiring of White. Not that he won't be a good coach but there are more successful coaches out there who recruit at a higher level too and Foley passed on them like they didn't exist. I hope they get lucky of course and it works out. But what happens now with Billy's recruits? Going from Donovan to White the unknown is a big deal for 18 year olds.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Scott512;n220791 said:
They should all leave if they have the pride . I mean White over Grant or Pelfrey? Really? What must they be thinking? Foley gave this unknown coach 6 years guaranteed and he was basically a minor league college basketball coach. People can say Billy wasn't big time when he was hired by Foley and that's true. But still. When Foley hired Mac I was disappointed. Now I am more disappointed with the hiring of White. Not that he won't be a good coach but there are more successful coaches out there who recruit at a higher level too and Foley passed on them like they didn't exist. I hope they get lucky of course and it works out. But what happens now with Billy's recruits? Going from Donovan to White the unknown is a big deal for 18 year olds.

th

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I mean come on. We could have tried to go after Andy Kennedy and then found out he wasn't leaving Mississippi.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Scott512;n220791 said:

Gee one is going with Billy and the other may also leave. For myself I would stay for the players as long as the new guy treated me properly. Now I thought one of the assistants should have gotten the job but I am not in charge and both had failures at larger schools.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n220790 said:
I'd say Ol Jeremy is more concerned with finding a gymnastics coach....At the rate he's going it will be the only sport we've got a chance to win another NC in.

You forgetting Softball and Lacross (sp)

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I truly believe there are some people who will never be satisfied with anything that happens at this school. Foley could have hired Archie and I guarantee you something would have been wrong with the deal. It's almost comical at this point.

(cue the only response I ever get when I'm not bashing my keyboard with anger...I'm a Foley nut swinger :rolleyes: )

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
VulcanAlex;n220816 said:

Of course.....How could I ever forget those 2 revenue producing giants. Although I've heard rumors those coaches might also be leaving for greener pa$ture$.......

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n220820 said:
I truly believe there are some people who will never be satisfied with anything that happens at this school. Foley could have hired Archie and I guarantee you something would have been wrong with the deal. It's almost comical at this point.

(cue the only response I ever get when I'm not bashing my keyboard with anger...I'm a Foley nut swinger :rolleyes: )

:pumper:

This statement is a little unfair. We are coming off the worst four year stretch in football in how long? 30 years? 40? So a lot of people didn't like Will Muschump from day one. It's a HUGE stain on Foley's resume. He also hired Ron Zook. He hit home runs with Meyer and Billy D. I think the Mac hire is ok not great. White? SIX year contract for 3 straight NITs? That's settling to me. This is one of the top 3 athletic depts in the country.

In all kinds of weather, right? It's ok to question Jesus Foley. Some of you act like he can't do anything wrong. Is it possible he stayed on too long?

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n220825 said:
:pumper:

This statement is a little unfair. We are coming off the worst four year stretch in football in how long? 30 years? 40? So a lot of people didn't like Will Muschump from day one. It's a HUGE stain on Foley's resume. He also hired Ron Zook. He hit home runs with Meyer and Billy D. I think the Mac hire is ok not great. White? SIX year contract for 3 straight NITs? That's settling to me. This is one of the top 3 athletic depts in the country.

In all kinds of weather, right? It's ok to question Jesus Foley. Some of you act like he can't do anything wrong. Is it possible he stayed on too long?

Like I said last night...I have never said this is a home run hire and I'm wondering how it will turn out. The difference is I'm not pounding my keyboard spewing hate every single time I post. This is a huge hire for Foley and we'll see how it goes. I just choose not to automatically throw it in the dumpster like some of you. That's all. It took less than 30 minutes last night for the BS posts to start.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n220821 said:
Of course.....How could I ever forget those 2 revenue producing giants. Although I've heard rumors those coaches might also be leaving for greener pa$ture$.......
Please tell me septic lid where you heard the rumor. The whole country is piling on us right now, but when our own fans make stuff up to hurt our programs it makes me mad.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n220820 said:
I would have said Foley's intern.

Did you used to work for him? I'm wondering exactly how bad the football program would have to get before you started questioning his judgment?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n220816 said:
Vulcan, I hate to break it to you but no one would notice if the entire gymnastics, softball, lacross, and badminton teams disappeared.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n220835 said:
Vulcan, I hate to break it to you but no one would notice if the entire gymnastics, softball, lacross, and badminton teams disappeared.

I would and I bet other Gators would as well, not to mention the Feds as well.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Law98gator;n220835 said:

Actually a lot of people would notice. And UF only has a club badminton team, so you are correct about that sport.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n220829 said:
Like I said last night...I have never said this is a home run hire and I'm wondering how it will turn out. The difference is I'm not pounding my keyboard spewing hate every single time I post. This is a huge hire for Foley and we'll see how it goes. I just choose not to automatically throw it in the dumpster like some of you. That's all. It took less than 30 minutes last night for the BS posts to start.

It IS a message board...lol. The Miller hire would've have been Meyeresque, IMHO. That guy took a mid-major to an Elite 8 plus young and energetic. Maybe we are insufferable fan base. Maybe the Muschamp fiasco is bleeding over...idk.

Foley is the elder statesman AD in the SEC. He has a lot of power and prestige. He has the resources to get proven coaches. I can't put my finger on it but something seems off with him. I understand fiscal restraint. But he is still trying to find diamonds in the rough when we are allowed inside Tiffany's. Is it ego? He has a bigger name then all of our coaches now. That's weird to me.

Maybe it's time to find a diamond in the rough AD. I think Foley was the perfect guy to lead the ATH program to new heights. He did. He'll get a statue some day. I just think we need a fresh perspective. Personally, I think Foley has stayed on too long. He should have handed off the reigns to new blood right after Meyer left. I think the game has changed dramatically and he hasn't shifted with it. That's only my humble worthless opinion. I don't write any checks.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n220843 said:
Is it ego? He has a bigger name then all of our coaches now. That's weird to me.
That's always what he wanted.

It's weird to me he is still employed. Normally you don't get this many chances to fvkk up totally.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n220843 said:
It IS a message board...lol. The Miller hire would've have been Meyeresque, IMHO.
It's freakin' hilarious that we "didn't think we could pry the guy away"........ from DAYTON.

From fvkkin DAYTON!!!!

What a joke we have running this ship.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n220843 said:
It IS a message board...lol. The Miller hire would've have been Meyeresque, IMHO. That guy took a mid-major to an Elite 8 plus young and energetic. Maybe we are insufferable fan base. Maybe the Muschamp fiasco is bleeding over...idk.

Foley is the elder statesman AD in the SEC. He has a lot of power and prestige. He has the resources to get proven coaches. I can't put my finger on it but something seems off with him. I understand fiscal restraint. But he is still trying to find diamonds in the rough when we are allowed inside Tiffany's. Is it ego? He has a bigger name then all of our coaches now. That's weird to me.

Maybe it's time to find a diamond in the rough AD. I think Foley was the perfect guy to lead the ATH program to new heights. He did. He'll get a statue some day. I just think we need a fresh perspective. Personally, I think Foley has stayed on too long. He should have handed off the reigns to new blood right after Meyer left. I think the game has changed dramatically and he hasn't shifted with it. That's only my humble worthless opinion. I don't write any checks.

I honestly can't argue with any of this. The difference is some people choose to just spew endless hate and garbage and others like to have actual discussions about it. I'm all for actually talking about things....maybe that comes from having Type A bosses who are constantly "my way or no way"...I just get sick of it all the time. And IMHO, I think if you and some of the others had ever said anything positive about the school or athletic program you might get a little more leeway. But it just seems like all you choose to post is negative so that's what people get sick of reading. And yes, I know I'm a pumper...but I just try to have positive outlooks on things that I have a deep love for. I'm always hopeful for the best.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n220850 said:
I honestly can't argue with any of this. The difference is some people choose to just spew endless hate and garbage and others like to have actual discussions about it. I'm all for actually talking about things....maybe that comes from having Type A bosses who are constantly "my way or no way"...I just get sick of it all the time. And IMHO, I think if you and some of the others had ever said anything positive about the school or athletic program you might get a little more leeway. But it just seems like all you choose to post is negative so that's what people get sick of reading. And yes, I know I'm a pumper...but I just try to have positive outlooks on things that I have a deep love for. I'm always hopeful for the best.

True story. I can't disagree with any of it either. We're at a huge crossroads. I look back at the last 20 years and oh my, have we had our fair share of success. And you don't replace HOF coaches with ease. However, you'd think that with the country's 3rd(?) largest athletic budget we would have the resources to hire folks with a proven track record at this point. Doesn't it seem like he's trying to hire that darkhorse that everyone else missed. Like he's trying to show all the other programs that he can still pick 'em? I'm just spitballing here, of course. It's like he reverted back to the 90's.

He has nothing to prove. He's a hall of famer. It's odd. Again, maybe it's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator