Recruiting Welcome Safety Donavan Stiner

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
FWIW, he was originally a Baylor commit. Not sure if we are really taking him as a SS or a LB project.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
you didn't know that....where the phuck have you been?
Well, I've been desperately trying not to pay too close attention to recruiting these days. We're so defensive of being 3-Star U that now we're saying, "yeah, but he's a HIGH 3-star!"

We're dead.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Last edited:

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing significantly improves our roster depth and development short term this cycle. It's like you can almost touch it... we're just a couple of 2theHouse types, sack your a$$ in the backfield types, QB delivering in clutch 3D, special dragster returning kicks away from being really Great again. o_O

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
It's as bad as it sounds. High three stars are still three stars.

I agree with your repeated statement that stars count, but how much of a real difference do you think there is between subjective 5.7 ratings and subjective 5.8 ratings for 18-year-olds, presumably by a small group of mostly unidentified people issuing such ratings with no guarantee of any depth of research by any of them? No allowance for a 0.1 variance due to subjectivity and/or human error?

Defend.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Am I supposed to be excited or should I cry?

gal-coaches-7-jpg.jpg

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Every rating service assigns each recruit a grade.

This is how Rivals does it:

Rivals assigns each player a number in their evaluation (RR). Here's what they mean.

• 6.1 Franchise Player; considered one of the elite prospects in the country, generally among the nation's top 25 players overall; deemed to have excellent pro potential; high-major prospect
  • 6.0-5.8 All-American Candidate; high-major prospect; considered one of the nation's top 300 prospects; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team
  • 5.7-5.5 All-Region Selection; considered among the region's top prospects and among the top 750 or so prospects in the country; high-to-mid-major prospect; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team
  • 5.4-5.0 Division I prospect; considered a mid-major prospect; deemed to have limited pro potential but definite Division I prospect; may be more of a role player
  • 4.9 Sleeper; no Rivals.com expert knew much, if anything, about this player; a prospect that only a college coach really knew about
To put it another way, 6.1 and above are 5*, 5.8 - 6.0 are 4*, 5.5 - 5.7 are 3*, 5.0 - 5.4 are 2*, 4.9 and under are 1*

Rivals assigned Donovan Stiner a 5.7 making him as close to a 4* as you can possibly get without actually being a 4*

It's actually much more finely graduated than that. For the purpose of ranking classes players get points from 0 to 250. So yeah there's High or low star.
Zach Carter 4* 156 points
KL Herbert 4* 108 points
Big difference

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-com-football-team-recruiting-rankings-formula-1
What is the formula?
Rivals Rating points + Rivals250 Bonus Points = Total Points
Rivals Rating (RR) Scale (Top 20 rated commitments)
(Rivals Rating = Points)

6.1 = 150 points
6.0 = 135 points
5.9 = 120 points
5.8 = 105 points
5.7 = 90 points
5.6 = 75 points
5.5 = 60 points
5.4 = 45 points
5.3 = 30 points
5.2 = 15 points
*Prospects without an assigned rating will count for no points. All FBS committed prospects will have a rating once evaluated and rankings are updated.
Rivals 250 Bonus Scale (all commitments)
#1= 100 points
#2= 83 points
#3= 82 points
#4= 81 points
#5= 80 points
#6= 76 points
etc....

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with your repeated statement that stars count, but how much of a real difference do you think there is between subjective 5.7 ratings and subjective 5.8 ratings for 18-year-olds, presumably by a small group of mostly unidentified people issuing such ratings with no guarantee of any depth of research by any of them? No allowance for a 0.1 variance due to subjectivity and/or human error?

Defend.
http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/want-a-national-title-sign-top-ten-classes-020316

I look at this from more of a macro standpoint. No doubt there's errors on an individual basis. But overall over extended time the ranking system bears out the facts...high classes equals wins and titles. There are always outliers. There always will be.

The FACTS are the FACTS - you want to win titles - recruit with the best of them. If not, pray for a miracle.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/want-a-national-title-sign-top-ten-classes-020316

I look at this from more of a macro standpoint. No doubt there's errors on an individual basis. But overall over extended time the ranking system bears out the facts...high classes equals wins and titles. There are always outliers. There always will be.

The FACTS are the FACTS - you want to win titles - recruit with the best of them. If not, pray for a miracle.

I agree with all of that, except for praying for a miracle. I'm more of a "make it happen" guy. I'm not looking at four 5.7-rated and two 5.6-rated members of the incoming class from a macro POV. My point is: the numbers posted by 2222 give me reason to think we have more substantive 4-stars in this class than a superficial reading of the ratings conveys. That's where I take issue with your comment, "It's as bad as it sounds. High three stars are still three stars." NOT if you factor in subjectivity and human error, which cannot be removed from a human-driven process such as rating 18-year-olds in anything.

You need to relax a little, T. Valid criticism's got its place, but don't forget to enjoy what you've got here. Either Mac will do it, or our next coach will. Bottom line: it really is . . . GR8 . . . 2B . . . . a Florida Gator!

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
3 star? 4 star? 5 star recruit? It's all subjective. I only care if our players are Champions of Life...amiright?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator