Well that was an interesting game.......

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I have many thoughts about last night, some good, some bad.

1. Demarcus Robinson is good. REALLY good.

2. Secondary outside of VH3 is going to be 2007-esque. It's going to be like it was last night all year, where they just throw away from VH3 almost exclusively, so they need to start making some plays. Lots of raw talent, but the inexperience showed big time. Full credit to Poole for making the play on the deep ball in the 3rd OT, though, showed lots of guts to knock that one away.

3. Driskel had an awful first half, just awful. But his receivers dropping passes, the endless onslaught of deep balls, and o-line's shaky protection didn't exactly help his cause. Roper called a lot more short passes and "sure things" for him in the 2nd half, which got him more in rhythm, and he did fine after that. Only truly bad decision he made all night was the pick. The play where the UK defender dropped the pick and D-Rob caught it was actually D-Rob's fault, he slipped on his out cut and Driskel had already thrown the ball on timing. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, I guess.

4. Matt Jones is for real. Taylor did a little too much dancing in the backfield last night, and I'm sure that's why Jones was getting the bulk of the carries late in the game.

5. Offensive line is what it is. UK runs a 3-4, which can be tricky for protection because of all the blitzes, but I'm not sure why Roper didn't call a few screens to slow those blitzes down.

6. The offense isn't going to truly open up like it should until they take the handcuffs off Driskel and let him run the ball. He's a great runner, and I understand the need to keep him healthy, but they need to let him run. Just the threat of him running will open a lot more things up for us.

7. I'll eat all the crow you want for saying we would roll past UK. They came to play and almost got an historic win.

That's about it. It's such a weird time when our basketball team has an easier time beating UK than our football team, but hey, at least they still won. Obviously not thrilled about our trip to Tuscaloosa, but we'll see how this team responds and if they can correct some of the horrific mental errors they made last night.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Great points and kudos to the kids for fighting until the end. They showed great heart. That said...the first nail in Muschamp's coffin was driven deep.

Dead man walking...

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You really think Driskel didn't have the OK to run in the 2nd half when the game was in the balance ? He evidently has a hard time with those zone reads just like he does with longer passes. He could have walked for some first downs almost.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Also, I forgot to comment on the play in the 2nd OT when Driskel threw late to D-Rob.

That play is what's known as a "snag" concept. You have the outside receiver go in towards the LB's, turn and sit. The #2 receiver runs a corner, and the #3 receiver (who was D-Rob) runs to the flat. Can't even tell you how many times I've run that play. In fact, now that I think about it, I think it's the play Dunbar scored on in the 4th quarter against FSU.

Driskel followed his read, which on that play, the flat read is the last one. Now maybe he could have progressed through it more quickly, but you can see his head go from the inside guy, to the corner, to D-Rob. He actually probably could have hit Pittman in the corner, as well, but D-Rob was more open. I can't remember if we were on the near side of the field or not, but it looked like the play just developed too quickly for Driskel to get through his reads.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
All very good points...especially Driskel running. There were so many plays he could have pulled the ball and had an entire sideline to run because they were crashing so hard on the run. It didn't matter for Jones because he ran like a freaking beast yesterday...but like you said Taylor was dancing too much and those guys crashing on him could blow it up.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Also the refs had a pretty awful game last night...how they missed that hit on Taylor is beyond me. The ref was standing right on top of the play and that was one of the most blatant and viscious targeting hits i've ever seen. Watching the replays you could see he slowed up to line right up and dove right into his back with his helmet a full 3-4 seconds after he was already down and the whistle blown. Again the ref was right freaking there and did nothing.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Here's what I said in the JD thread about read options.

Some of you guys are "misreading" the "read options." Just because Driskel hands the ball off and runs around the end doesn't necessarily mean it was a read option. If the play was called as a straight hand off, he's still going to carry out the read option fake to keep the back side of the defense honest. None of us knows for sure what play is called on those, so while it looks like he's making the wrong "read," it could just be he's supposed to hand the ball off on that particular play.

And yeah, the refs were AWFUL last night. So bad.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm looking forward (or not) to where this thread might go, but I'll be gone all day until later tonight. Play nice, you crazy kids, and Go Gators!

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n50252 said:
Also, I forgot to comment on the play in the 2nd OT when Driskel threw late to D-Rob.

That play is what's known as a "snag" concept. You have the outside receiver go in towards the LB's, turn and sit. The #2 receiver runs a corner, and the #3 receiver (who was D-Rob) runs to the flat. Can't even tell you how many times I've run that play. In fact, now that I think about it, I think it's the play Dunbar scored on in the 4th quarter against FSU.

Driskel followed his read, which on that play, the flat read is the last one. Now maybe he could have progressed through it more quickly, but you can see his head go from the inside guy, to the corner, to D-Rob. He actually probably could have hit Pittman in the corner, as well, but D-Rob was more open. I can't remember if we were on the near side of the field or not, but it looked like the play just developed too quickly for Driskel to get through his reads.
Well you would know more than i would and i just assumed that Robinson was the first look and the whole point of putting him in motion and to the flat was for Driskel to hit him quickly and not have him be the last read. It looked like he wanted to throw but kind of double clutched and then threw to Robinson. Pittman in the corner was open because his defender was crashing down on Robinson.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n50234 said:
The play where the UK defender dropped the pick and D-Rob caught it was actually D-Rob's fault, he slipped on his out cut and Driskel had already thrown the ball on timing. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, I guess.

glad that I am not the only one who saw that. There are some really ignorant posters on this board.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n50256 said:
Also the refs had a pretty awful game last night...how they missed that hit on Taylor is beyond me. The ref was standing right on top of the play and that was one of the most blatant and viscious targeting hits i've ever seen. Watching the replays you could see he slowed up to line right up and dove right into his back with his helmet a full 3-4 seconds after he was already down and the whistle blown. Again the ref was right freaking there and did nothing.
Guy should have been ejected.

[video=youtube;2ZXD4IQI3Q8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZXD4IQI3Q8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Way back in the day, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and SOS was running the show the difference between championship and non championship years was dropped passes. If we had dropped passes in game one we had dropped passes all year usually costing us a game. We have more issues than that but the dropped passes are a bell weather.

Darthgator

Aug 18, 2014
There was definitely some serious booing going on with those refs after that play. It's unbelievable they missed that call among a few others.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
The refs were bad, in particular in the first half it was being called VERY UK friendly. When they "missed" that targeting on Taylor I thought for sure they were in UKs corner. But they called a more even second half, but the damage was done by then.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n50261 said:
I'm looking forward (or not) to where this thread might go, but I'll be gone all day until later tonight. Play nice, you crazy kids, and Go Gators!

I tried to tell you this is a different UK team, but the bottom line is driskel plain out sucks at the end of the day.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE- said:
All the other calls and non-calls in that game I could accept, or at least over look. But the one you are talking about here was absolutely ridiculous, and could have seriously hurt Taylor. There was no reason for the UK player to do that, and he should have been ejected.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n50256 said:
Blatant targeting if there ever has been. Couple of zebras had money on the game it seemed.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Sas, you're right on the $$ with all your points. You summed it up perfectly.
I acutally did see DR slip on that play. If he doesn't and catches it, probably tackled there. But it was a weird play.

That hit on Taylor....that dude has reached Darnell Dockett status IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator