What can we expect out of our 2014 OL?

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I believe this offense will go as the offensive line goes.

We haven't had a good unit since 2009 and frankly, I didn't think the 2009 unit was all that good either...they couldn't pick up a stunt or a delayed blitz but Tebow was good enough to hide a lot of faults. You can argue that the 2012 line was solid--the USC, LSU and FSU games come to mind--but they couldn't pass block a lick. We've had talented players but the unit has been a disappointment for many years now.

I expected an excellent season out of our OL in 2013. Humphries and Green at T, Harrison at C, and Halapio and one of the transfers at G with the others providing some depth. The only concern was that we didn't have depth at T. Well...we lost both preseason starting Ts, then we lost the G we moved to T. On top of that, we didn't have a TE or a RB that was any good at pass blocking. Needless to say, it was an unmitigated disaster.

What about 2014?

Projected 2014 Starters:
LT D.J. Humphries LG Tyler Moore C Max Garcia RG Trenton Brown RT Chaz Green

This year we're looking at much the same situation. The starting 5 look solid on paper but we don't have depth at T. Maybe a bit more than last year, but our Achilles heel is the same. If our Ts can stay healthy this group can be very good. The parts are there.

D.J. Humphries is experienced and he's light and quick on his feet like an SEC LT should be (they go up against the best pass rushers in the nation week-in and week-out).

Tyler Moore is better than what you saw last season. We had to play him out of position at T and he simply lacked the quickness to protect the edge. He'll be much better at LG, mobile enough to pull, strong enough to drive block.

Max Garcia is another guy who is better suited to playing inside than on the edge. That said, C carries much more responsibility than G. He needs to understand and read defenses, make the OL calls, and snap the ball on time and on target. I don't know if he can do any of those things. I'm putting my trust in new OL coach Mike Summers and hoping he chose to go with Garcia here because Garcia is capable of making the right reads and eventually getting the hang of snapping. Physically, Garcia is well suited to the position. Let's see if he can mentally make himself into a real C.

Trenton Brown doesn't look like a G. He looks like a ginormous T. When I first suggested he would be starting at G a couple of posters took issue claiming he's too tall and lacked the leverage needed to play G. When you're as powerful at Trenton Brown...I guess you can afford to give up a little leverage. The guy is a mauler. If he gets his toaster oven-sized mitts on you, it's over. He was not terrible at RT last year but he's just not light enough on his feet to take the starting job away from Chaz Green. He's too good to keep on the bench so he's your starting RG. Wilt Chamberlain famously quipped that nobody roots for Goliath. Correction Wilt, we'll root for Goliath as long as he's wearing the Orange & Blue and I'm rooting hard for this kid. I want to see him toss aside SEC D-Linemen like they're rag dolls and open gaping holes for our runners. I want to see him pull and come up on a 230 lb LB with a full head of steam. I know he'll probably miss the block (that's what OL do in space) but the look on the LB's face will be priceless. It's fun to watch a giant play football.

Chaz Green is experienced and solid. Like Humphries, he's a true T who can hold down the edge.

Substitute these guys into one of Spurrier's or Meyer's good teams and they are plenty good enough to play in Atlanta. Lose Humphries, Green, and Brown to injuries for extended parts of the season and we suck again.

I choose to be an optimist. Last year's injuries were an aberration. If Humphries has to miss a couple of games with a bad knee, Green will move to LT, Brown to RT, and one of the back-ups will take over Brown's RG spot. That's your typical, normal injury situation. We can survive that kind thing. We can't lose Humphries AND Green again.

If the OL stays reasonably healthy, I think we can get to Atlanta and that's the goal every year...getting to Atlanta. This OL will be the key.

Alex.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Judging by the Spring game (even with the defense at a disadvantage) it appears it will be improved quite a bit. They were getting a good push many times and were pulling well etc.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Trenton Brown could be similar to what the Dallas Cowboys had in Leonard Davis a guy with Tackle size who excelled at being a guard.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Impressed the hell out of me when , during the O & B game , Brown pulled and open it up for M.Brown. Having a 350-60 pulling guard who can get a hat on a lb is an exciting proposition.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I know this is asking a lot but we need some big, early, blowouts. Put the starters on the bench where they can't get injured and get the young guys some game experience.

Alex.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
We need a unit. We did not have the same lineup 2 weeks in a row all season last year. There is no cohesion when that happens. I don't expect that to happen again, and we return a lot of talent from injury this year. We might just be in business.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n12138 said:
I know this is asking a lot but we need some big, early, blowouts. Put the starters on the bench where they can't get injured and get the young guys some game experience.

Alex.

And a high octane offense is the quickest way to get our big uglies off the field because plays aren't drawn out. And by SCORING we can take the pressure off our defense and get experience with the younger kids on both offense and defense. When the games are constantly close you can't get any of your younger guys experience because you can't play them.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I expect our OL to need about 7000 calories a day to keep their weight up. (source: investrong.com /// 50 calories per every 2.2 lbs of body weight)

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Really like everything I've read about our new OL coach. Between that change and a little luck on the injury front, we should see an SEC OL for the first time in what seems like forever.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n12243 said:
And a high octane offense is the quickest way to get our big uglies off the field because plays aren't drawn out. And by SCORING we can take the pressure off our defense and get experience with the younger kids on both offense and defense. When the games are constantly close you can't get any of your younger guys experience because you can't play them.

That was one of the big advantages of the Spurrier era. We got the young players plenty of game reps. It was good for identifying young talent, for developing young talent, and for keeping back-ups interested and involved. Even walk-ons might play against SEC competition. It was good for the team.

Alex.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n12257 said:
That was one of the big advantages of the Spurrier era. We got the young players plenty of game reps. It was good for identifying young talent, for developing young talent, and for keeping back-ups interested and involved. Even walk-ons might play against SEC competition. It was good for the team. Alex.
Other than the 2007 and 2008 offense we haven't seen that in a looooong time.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think this could be our best unit in a while if we can keep them all on the field. Plus the new offensive system will take some of the pressure off the o line. They wont need to make a lot of straight up blocks that they need to hold for multiple seconds. It will probably be a lot of chip blocks and moving on to the next level in the run game and from everything I have heard, if the QBs make decisions and get the ball out as fast as Roper wants it out pass blocking shouldn't be an issue. Just need them to stay healthy.

cornbread

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ol isn't any better than the center, they get the guys in the right blocking schemes, but you have to have the athletes to block even if the right scheme is called

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Depth building and growing throughout the season from experience gained. At the least we need to shoot for 10 deep with 3-5 more plug-ins. May be wishful thinking, but if our numbers are close to that, we may indeed be in business. Good offensive football teams, whatever the scheme, begin up front.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp really struggled with o lineman recruits in his first 2 recruiting years. I think only 2 o lineman from those 2 cycles combined. I think we're only 13-15 or so deep. And 5 or 6 are true freshman. We're still a year away from quality depth.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
we had 2 one year and the other year we took 2 and had 2 transfers, but you're right.Right now we are at 14 able bodied and 1 definite redshirt(Kelleher).I would guess that at least 3 of the other freshman will redshirt, But thankfully Muschamp is recruiting some big boys. What really killed us was bad numbers from the last couple of Meyers classes and Muschamps first couple. Plus we had Tommy Jordan having to quit due to injury w/o playing a down ,Then Dunker with his stupidity and the other kid who coach kicked off because of a theft,and Valentine this year having to quit. Add to that players like Roby that never really panned out and Pachan and Silberman and the armeniann kid transferring we are where we've been. This is really the first year Muschamp is up around where we need to be.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Like others have said, the numbers have improved, but about half of our O-linemen are freshmen or red-shirt freshmen. Hopefully we won't have to use those guys except in some mop-up duty. When this line is healthy, then they may be the best line we've seen from UF in 5 years. They have the size and strength to excell in the running game, and now they have the coaching to improve in the passing game.

One of the many problems with Pease's offense is that the majority of the pass plays took a long time to develop. There were rarely any screens, quick slants, hitches, etc., so the line had to hold blocks for 3-5 seconds for the play to have a chance for success. Roper wants the majority of his passes thrown before the 3 sec. mark, so it will be much less pressure on the line. Also the camaraderie between Roper and Summers that Pease and Davis didn't have will make an impact as well.

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Alex - nice piece! Much appreciated. We have the chance to field a very good line, barring injuries, of course. We will see a major difference in coaching, as well. Brown gets his leverage from his long arms. He can get away with not being as low, because he can keep a DL off of him. He's definitely a beast and I have been told that he is a man on a mission. For him to push Green, for the starting RT, like he has, says a lot - Green is very good and underrated. Sharpe will play a lot this year. He is a freak and is very coachable. I honestly believe that he will be pushing for a starting job by mid-season. Garcia is very intelligent and knows OL play. I have no concern with him, at all. He could end up being the top Center in the SEC. He really is that good.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Our problem has been the Tackle position. Xavier Nixon didn't meet expectations. Patchan was constantly injured (but what I wouldn't have given to have had him wearing the Orange and Blue last year). We missed on Laremy Tunsil because we had D.J. Humphries (and that was a HUGE miss for this team). When Meyer couldn't recruit a first rate Tackle, he decided not to take a second rate Tackle so not only were OL numbers low, but specifically Tackle numbers were way down. Compound it with Dunker getting kicked off the team and Humphries and Green getting injured last season...it was a disaster.

We've had plenty of solid interior linemen but there is a reason stud Left Tackles are often number 1 overall picks in the NFL draft and are often franchised while stud interior linemen go in the late second round and make peanuts.

We've got two guys who can play Tackle in the SEC right now (Humphries and Green) and one guy who can be serviceable as a short-term stop gap if one of those two goes down (Brown). That is scary. Until our younger Tackles develop, we need those guys to stay healthy if we're going to have a turnaround season.

Alex.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
cornbread;n12278 said:
ol isn't any better than the center, they get the guys in the right blocking schemes, but you have to have the athletes to block even if the right scheme is called

This is from Zach's article on GatorSports.com

Woods said Summers' best attribute is his attention to detail, and there's never a moment in practice when he's not coaching, evaluating or teaching someone. He also goes extra lengths to prepare his players for their opponents.

“He played defense in college, and that was one of the most surprising things about him,” Woods said. “One of the things he had us do that I never experienced before was to learn the defense and what they do. It goes back to that saying — everything matters. The average O-lineman can look at the defensive lineman in front of him and see what he's going to do, but coach Summers takes it to the next level.

“He'll make you look up and watch the patterns of the defensive backs or the formations so you know what blitz is going to come. That's a center's job or a quarterback's job. They're supposed to tell us. But he made all of us know what's going on, even the guys not playing.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.