What do you do when it all starts to go wrong.....again

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You know that feeling you get when good ol JD leads the offense onto the field time and time again during a game and you just know what's coming. How do you guys as a fan cope with knowing with great certainty what is about to happen?
I ask this question because during last weeks game my wife told me she was surprised that I have become "emotionally detached".....not from her, from my beloved Gator football team.

I started becoming this way last year during the UGA and Vandy games. As silly as it sounds I've been almost over the top as a Gator fan since I've known her and now she ask why I'll go work in the yard by about the 2nd quarter most of the time with my car stereo blaring the game so I can hear it while gardening or fishing from my dock. The response I gave to her was that it hurts less to listen to the same old sh!t that it does to watch. The other bad things that happen are it ruins my appetite, ruins my double digit beer buzz, and I don't want to watch anymore CFB for the rest of the day......I need help, is there a better way of coping ?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I continue to root for the team and watch the game. I also drink.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
WobbleGator said:
I continue to root for the team and watch the game. I also drink.
I've tried that......it didn't work. Not the drinking part. But more drinking just seems to make me angrier.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I actually find watching it makes me less angry than listening. At least when I watch I can see how bad we are and I know who to blame... For all the work and class the kid has JD just doesn't seem to have what it takes.

It doesn't seem like Muschamp is getting it done either... hopefully that will change and the team will turn it around, but I will be watching next weekend hoping we beat the crap out of UT.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Detach. Compartmentalize.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think Bama was the first game I went into detached a little bit after watching that Kentucky game - I just felt things may not go well but I did get fired up again after the first turnover until later in the 3rd quarter despite our play. As far as last season we usually hung around for a while somehow in most games so I wasn't really detached then despite the record and play on the field. Drinking helps some.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'll always watch.....but damned it's like seeing a rerun of a show you never liked in the first place. I not squimish about watching tight games like some people get either. It's just halfway through the game and that feeling of hopelessness sets in that's like watching your dog get put down or something that drives me to the radio call.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I used to drink myself into a coma when we lost a big game... :drunk:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
-THE DUDE- said:
I used to drink myself into a coma when we lost a big game... :drunk:
I usually drink myself into a coma when we win a big game.......Sadly it been a looooonnngg time since that happened.

spook

Founding Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Blessedly we are no longer relevant. No one cares. ESCAPE!!!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gatoravatara said:
Why wife used to watch the game with me. She can no longer tolerate it anymore. I get angry and I yell at the TV. I watch it to the end even when we are sucking. I have stopped drinking during the games. Drunk Angry Avatara is not a pretty sight to see. Optimistic Avatara is dead. It does not help to have 2 Criminoles at work rubbing salt in the wounds. Once Muschamp is fired, My wife will allow me back into the bedroom again. I've given up. I really don't expect to win anymore games, but I will watch all of them till the last snap. I don't know what to say. It has to get worse before it gets better.
You sound like you feel about the same way I do. I won't even begin to watch a game with my wife though. I tell her to go shopping at least until the second half and she takes our 6 year old son with her. That way I'm free to cuss my azz off and get it out of my system before they get back !!!

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
When you truly care about something nothing makes it good. Now what I try to do is channel the energy into something productive, it is difficult but perhaps the best that anybody can do.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara said:
Why wife used to watch the game with me. She can no longer tolerate it anymore. I get angry and I yell at the TV. I watch it to the end even when we are sucking. I have stopped drinking during the games. Drunk Angry Avatara is not a pretty sight to see. Optimistic Avatara is dead. It does not help to have 2 Criminoles at work rubbing salt in the wounds. Once Muschamp is fired, My wife will allow me back into the bedroom again. I've given up. I really don't expect to win anymore games, but I will watch all of them till the last snap. I don't know what to say. It has to get worse before it gets better.
If your wife shops anything like mine then I feel bad that you make your son go with her.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen said:
I have given up all hope. Forever.
How do you act during games? Inquiring minds want to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.