What do you think the impact of...

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014
Foley nearing retirement and the University currently looking for a new president have on WM keeping his job.

Thought I would shift away from the possible future coach thread and try and figure out why we still have the one we got.

It is a ton of effort to fire WM (buyout $$, dealing w/ media, trying to save what little of a recruiting class we have, etc) and even more effort to find a coach that can take the heaping pile of sh!t the WM has assembled and turn them into a competitive unit.

I believe WM buyout it is excess of $10M dollars which I would guess has to be cleared by more than just Foley to cover on WM way out and I know there are big Bull Gators out there but not sure how much they are going to be willing to throw into this mess to fix it.

So, with the combination of Foley's and Machen's retirement and WM huge buyout....what are the chances WM just hangs around because the current regime just does not have the energy to put into changing things on their way out?

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp will not stay here simply because of money.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think they're worried about the buyout. Hell they just approved an indoor practice facility. Wich is going to be a good selling point to head coaching candidates btw. I think alot goes into firing and replacing an entire staff. But to stay on topic I seriously doubt the university's biggest money is going to get ignored. I also don't think Foley would retire with the football program in the state it's in.

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014
Who has to approve the firing beyond Foley. With that much money hanging in the balance, does the president of board have a REQUIRED say in this matter?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
None. Absolutely none. There are only two things that will impact Muschamp's job:

1. The Bull Gators
2. Foley deciding to fire Muschamp.

I don't think #2 happens without immense pressure from #1.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Foley answers to the President but he can be pressured by Bull Gators and their money.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n80228 said:
None. Absolutely none. There are only two things that will impact Muschamp's job:

1. The Bull Gators
2. Foley deciding to fire Muschamp.

I don't think #2 happens without immense pressure from #1.

I agree. If Foley is ready to retire next year he may try pushing the decision off to the next guy if Muschamp goes 7-4 and there isn't big time pressure from the real big donors.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Normally I would say that there is no reason to fire champ until a replacement has been found. However at this point I see no reason why we can't fire champ lit Roper be the interim coach while we go about our search.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Crunchtime;n80206 said:
Foley nearing retirement and the University currently looking for a new president have on WM keeping his job.

Thought I would shift away from the possible future coach thread and try and figure out why we still have the one we got.

It is a ton of effort to fire WM (buyout $$, dealing w/ media, trying to save what little of a recruiting class we have, etc) and even more effort to find a coach that can take the heaping pile of sh!t the WM has assembled and turn them into a competitive unit.

I believe WM buyout it is excess of $10M dollars which I would guess has to be cleared by more than just Foley to cover on WM way out and I know there are big Bull Gators out there but not sure how much they are going to be willing to throw into this mess to fix it.

So, with the combination of Foley's and Machen's retirement and WM huge buyout....what are the chances WM just hangs around because the current regime just does not have the energy to put into changing things on their way out?

His buyout was $10 when he got the contract, it goes down $2-2.5 million a season of the contract's completition. I beleive it is down to $6 after this season.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Down from $10 to $6?! I got this...

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member