What does the school/media expect from fans?

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Noticing the tone of schools and media that covers them towards the fan bases of those programs/teams, not just the GatorNation but other others as well. It's as if complaining about losing or desiring a change at coach or a position is automatically related to pitchfork carrying extremists who should be tut-tutted, whose opinions are without merit and should be dismissed.

Is it that we are expected to be Stepford Fans or is this just a "why are you all getting so worked up it's just a game" response?

I've gone from passionate for change to astonishment there was no change to detached bemusement - but what do outsiders and schools expect when things turn as they are right now?

Forgive me for thinking aloud - I'm trying to sort it all out - Am I supposed to be the passionate fan that cares so much I'm willing to spend 2k per season on football tickets or am I supposed to treat this like a youth league game where everybody plays?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
They always try the strategy of "its just a disgruntled minority of fans etc." as their main tactic. We have reached a point where if we have a losing streak the noise is going to be too loud to ignore and even Foley may be forced to act during the season.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Great observation. Do they want us to care and be passionate or not? Can't have it both ways. I have no expectations of improvement until this regime is ousted and I'm as disinterested in Gator football as I have ever been. Waiting on the inevitable (that should have been done last year) and looking forward to some Billy Ball!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Unlike the NFL, the college game is a more emotional game. An our school against the world mentallity. People are not so hard on "kids" as they are on pros. There are very few school that have a more professional attitude to their college football teams like we do at UF. Defending your school is like defending your family in a lot of cases.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
The vast apathetic masses are more potent than the active complainers. We have 113 members in my local Gator Club. I'm not even sure if there is a game watch party tomorrow. Normally people are checking in on our page to see who's coming, save me seat, etc. Not a single post since Sept 19. That kind of apathy sends a bigger message than our incessant grumbling on a message board ever could. I just wish we'd get the game was underway already. It's like waiting for a root canal.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
HogtownGator;n67604 said:
...Normally people are checking in on our page to see who's coming, save me seat, etc. Not a single post since Sept 19. That kind of apathy sends a bigger message than our incessant grumbling on a message board ever could. I just wish we'd get the game was underway already. It's like waiting for a root canal.

Amen to this...it's purgatorial...the whole situation actually.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;67591 said:
Unlike the NFL, the college game is a more emotional game. An our school against the world mentallity. People are not so hard on "kids" as they are on pros. There are very few school that have a more professional attitude to their college football teams like we do at UF. Defending your school is like defending your family in a lot of cases.
Yep. Agree 100%. And the NFL's media market is significantly larger. And they will toast a team's performance. College town media generally falls in line with the school.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n67753 said:
Negativity around the program does it no benefit.
No benefit? Had there been no negativity around the program, Galen Hall might still be coach here. I disagree with your statement.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n67760 said:
No benefit? Had there been no negativity around the program, Galen Hall might still be coach here. I disagree with your statement.

Well it somewhat depends on what you think of as negativity. Now honest review and critical thinking is not what I call negativity. Negativity is whining without a reasonable basis for doing so. Our current football staff is not producing at an acceptable level, saying it is not negativity, but honesty.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
oxrageous;n67760 said:

As I recall, Galen fell on his sword for the program

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Gatoravatara;n67769 said:
You aint seen nothing yet. If we lose to TN, then you will see what negativity is really like. People think you calling him Mushcramp is juvenilehave not seen anything yet. If he loses tomorrow, my nicknames will make yours seem like you are the adult in the room.

And you take pride in this?

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
jaywalker72;n67620 said:
Amen to this...it's purgatorial...the whole situation actually.

My next Gator-themed screen name: PurGatorial. Dammit! Why didn't I think of that before?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n67764 said:
Well it somewhat depends on what you think of as negativity. Now honest review and critical thinking is not what I call negativity. Negativity is whining without a reasonable basis for doing so. Our current football staff is not producing at an acceptable level, saying it is not negativity, but honesty.

What if a person had the foresight to see that years ago?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator