What if Treon...

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What if Treon plays very poorly in Jax and as the season progresses? I wonder how Gator fans, and this board in particular, will view it.

Will it be seen as Treon not being good enough or needing time to develop? Will it be seen as Muschamp's fault? ...or Driskel's? :hehehe: Will people blame Roper? ...the receivers? ...the protection?

I know some of this may be answered by how it happened, if it were to happen. Still, if he's got more INT's that TD's, I'm curious how Gator Nation will respond.

What say you?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
WobbleGator;n89878 said:
It will be seen that Treon is a true freshman and he is going to have growing pains.

This.

And yes, it will still fall on the shoulders of the coaches. Harris should've been playing much more this season than he has, making next Saturday much less of a monumental task.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Coach9;n89894 said:
Quite obviously it will be Muschamp and Driskel's fault. No matter what it is.

The entire mess is Muschamp's fault. At this point, it's down to you and some of his family members that believe otherwise.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I think it speaks volumes that half way thru the season we are having to rely on a freshman who until this week only took snaps with the #2 squad and now has the season on his shoulders. Piss poor management has got us here. I dont care how poor Harris plays, it cant begin to be as bad as Driskels incompetence...

ntcrze

Founding Member
Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
If Harris plays poorly, the cry will be for Will Grier. UF can be better with a good quarterback. The question is when will one come? Is there on on campus now with either Harris or Grier? Let's not make the mistake of thinking the number of stars they had coming out of high school means anything. We have seen that is folly with Brantley and Driskel.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If he throws for 100 yards it will be an improvement over what we've been getting out of noodle arm.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Harris plays poorly it will be contributed to the fact that he's a true freshmen with little experience. He should have had more experience by now, but it is what it is. I think the players around him are excited for the change, and will play better than if Driskel were in the game.

I doubt they'll put in Grier if Harris struggles. No need to waste Grier's redshirt. Hopefully they won't pull Harris after his first mistake either. Mistakes will happen, but UF will have a chance as long as the good outweighs the bad.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I believe Treon is a gamer and a winner. My fear is... will they actually let him play. Or are they going to go with a SUPER conservative playbook that basically sets him up to fail.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No body expects much out of Harris against Georgia anyways

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n90020 said:
No body expects much out of Harris against Georgia anyways

Nor should they. The other problems on our offense haven't been truly fixed.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Our OL has been weak for several years and still is. That is
part of JD's problem. No one can play an outstanding game
when they are in the backfield as soon as one gets the ball. QB
or running back.

Treon will be under pressure next Saturday. He seems to react
to it much better than JD does. Plus we could call some different
plays to help in that area. it won't be pretty.

I really don't think WM has fully given the offense over to Roper.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
jmskjrgator;n90031 said:
Our OL has been weak for several years and still is. That is
part of JD's problem. No one can play an outstanding game
when they are in the backfield as soon as one gets the ball. QB
or running back.

Treon will be under pressure next Saturday. He seems to react
to it much better than JD does. Plus we could call some different
plays to help in that area. it won't be pretty.

I really don't think WM has fully given the offense over to Roper.

Of course he hasn't. Nor will he. That was never part of the plan.

GatorFin

Jul 24, 2014
I'll take Treon under pressure a 100 times over Driskel though. He can make you pay with his legs and escapability to the point where the D line will have to play more contain instead of blitzing. If they overload blitz and he can't hit one on ones outside than this point is thrown out of the window.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n90039 said:
Of course he hasn't. Nor will he. That was never part of the plan.

I'm not sure he should - not that he's better at it, but he is (as evidenced by this board's thoughts) ultimately responsible for it. However, when I say that it probably means less to me than to others as I'm not confident that he's as involved as others think he is. I think he makes the final decision (after hearing contributions from the staff) about QB playing time and when to try to go for it or run out the clock before half. ...that kind of thing. I'm sure he is the leading influencer in the overall game plan, but I don't think he's telling Roper not to call a deep ball (we've seen a ton of those - just thrown by the wrong arm) or to call a QB run.

In the end, he's accountable for it and should be involved.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
For the record, I think we'll play better with Treon than with Driskel. I don't doubt that he doesn't know the offense as well and the pre-snap stuff will suffer with Treon in ...but frankly, the pre-snap work that Jeff's done hasn't come close to the malfunctions that he and many others have caused. I think Jeff is smart (despite his ears ...poor guy) and very tough - physically and mentally. I think he has worked hard too.
I think Treon, however, is a gamer with more confidence as a player, great quickness and escapability, and a much better deep ball. I think he also processes at game speed better. Driskel is likely smarter and has a higher ceiling for understanding the plays, but will never be able to process it as quickly as Treon. I hope Roper can set him up for success and that the team does rally around him, though I admit that I feel for Jeff when Treon heaves a terrible decision up in the LSU game and "Hands" Westbrook comes down with it in the middle of 14 defenders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator