What is the most overrated movie of all time ...

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n190768 said:
Matrix is rated that way for the innovations in special effects. The story is decent at best. Fight Club in my opinion is excellent, but if you aren't really paying attention you miss a lot of little things that end up being very important (which I did the first time, and had a lukewarm opinion of the movie).

flight club was alright. I just wasn't crazy about it. I found the Matrix to be quite boring. As far as underrated there are several films that come to mind, but that might be for another thread.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n190708 said:
Bit of a left turn here, but what ever happened to Bilbo and Gandolf's restaraunt in Gainesville? It was a great date place that was kind of set up to look like an underground Hobbit house or something like that. Used to take dates there to drink wine, eat fondue and listen to Vernon Hall on the guitar. Chicks dug it.

As far as overrated movies are concerned, for me it's a tie between Chariots of Fire and The English Patient. They both won tons of Academy Awards and were complete and utter snooze fests.

It was here when I left in the late '70s and gone when I returned in '86. I don't know what actually happened.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The Matrix basically changed special effects in movies forever. When you really think about the plot, it's kinda hokey (and far too preachy), but nobody can deny the cultural impact of the film nor the quality of its action sequences.

I like Fight Club a lot, but damn is it pretentious. So f*cking pretentious. I feel like that's a big reason why so many people are turned off by the film. I do wish they had cast someone other than Helena Bonham Carter to play Marla, I can't stand her.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
All of the superhero movies suck. I don't know how a grown person can sit through one.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;191125 said:
All of the superhero movies suck. I don't know how a grown person can sit through one.
Your face sucks. I don't know how anyone could sit through a conversation with you.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n191070 said:
the cultural impact of the film
:rolleyes: What was the cultural impact of the film?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;191151 said:
:rolleyes: What was the cultural impact of the film?
Oh, I don't know. The 8 billion parodies, the countless social references, the change that it brought about to Hollywood special effects. Increase in latex clothing sales.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
There really isn't much of an Old South anymore,
Get off the interstate in any deep south state drive awhile and tell me that. Hell just go to Cross City and walk around.
Bit of a left turn here, but what ever happened to Bilbo and Gandolf's restaraunt in Gainesville? It was a great date place that was kind of set up to look like an underground Hobbit house or something like that. Used to take dates there to drink wine, eat fondue and listen to Vernon Hall on the guitar. Chicks dug it.
George (the owner) was a drug dealer. Mike (the cook and my brother) invented most of the menu especially the French onion soup. Feds caught George and it was over. GREAT place to eat. You had the Upper Crust behind it awhile (the french bakery).
And the Cypress Wood place connected to it to on the west side of the building.

Most under rated film? Waterworld hands down. If you like SciFi it had the tricks and enough humor to work,
Frozen was not too bad (I have a 7 year old girl) And the kids in my school LOVE THE sound track.
Just the music from Chariots of Fire made it worthwhile and the historic Olympic games revisit (love sports)

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
Easy A was a very underrated film.

There.

I've said it.

And I mean it!

And I couldn't wait for a new thread topic titled, "Most UNDERrated films".

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n191149 said:
Your face sucks. I don't know how anyone could sit through a conversation with you.

Go back to your comic book heroes and boxed wine.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n191271 said:
Get off the interstate in any deep south state drive awhile and tell me that. Hell just go to Cross City and walk around.
George (the owner) was a drug dealer. Mike (the cook and my brother) invented most of the menu especially the French onion soup. Feds caught George and it was over. GREAT place to eat. You had the Upper Crust behind it awhile (the french bakery).
And the Cypress Wood place connected to it to on the west side of the building.

Most under rated film? Waterworld hands down. If you like SciFi it had the tricks and enough humor to work,
Frozen was not too bad (I have a 7 year old girl) And the kids in my school LOVE THE sound track.
Just the music from Chariots of Fire made it worthwhile and the historic Olympic games revisit (love sports)

Waterworld? It's not possible to under rate that dumpster fire of a movie.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Underrated? Basketball Diaries. I still think it was one of di Caprio's best acting performances.

Dec 10, 2014
stephenPE;n191271 said:

I have, and I am telling you that. You are clueless. You hold on to values/ideals/notions that were already dying in the 70s. You have issues, and it becomes apparent every time you mash around your keyboard.

Dec 10, 2014
I agree on Matrix. I was completely bored by the story. The only good memory I have of seeing it is that we were on high school spring break, and it got us out of the sun for two hours.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Lost in Translation. I'd rather watch paint peel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.