What is the reason for Mullen's perceived cap?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No one is arguing that our current roster doesn't have holes. I would say that Mullen is a better coach than Kirby. That is not the argument, no one is saying that Mullen isn't a good coach, it's the argument is he a elite coach.
We are going to find out over the next 36.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Okay then who?

He won with MSU talent in the SEC West.

Look at UF under Urban with and without Mullen.

And I wanted Frost...Whould you be happy with what he's done at NE?

Chip Kelly at UCLA?

Would you have give Mark Stoups time? Would he be worthy?

So who?

I get so fed up with this fecal material...and this is year 1.

IMHO...UF has had 3 great HC:
Pell for builing the program which was crap before he got to G'Ville
SOS our greatest HC
Urban for 2 NC

So get it out of your system.

NOLA is Drunk but I don’t drink.

NOLA is on drugs but I don’t do that either

NOLA hallucinates again I am lucid

NOLA is delusional but what have I said that is “not real”

So answer this, “Why have I not enjoyed watching Gator Football since 2009 but I do now?”

AGAIN...BMF I don't drink?

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The guy has taken a moribund group of players who flat sucked out loud for YEARS and turned them into a viable team who have shown the ability to compete and compete well in the SEC. When evaluating the team after just a short period I've seen them playing in a way that I haven't seen in a long time. Same players, different scheme and attitude. His play calling shows thought and understanding of the game, the competition and strengths of his players. When he speaks he makes sense and his reasoning is sound.

The issues are pretty clear. We need a QB who is capable of running this offense and some DBs who know how to play the position. If we get those pieces and some more quality depth at all positions we have the kind of coach who can help us compete with anyone.

Last edited:

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Here is my thought and I truly hope he proves me wrong. Is he the coach we need right now. The obvious answer is yes. He knows what he is doing, gets the most out of the trash he inherited, and actually wants to be here. Will he ever take us back to consistently being in the championship hunts? I'm not sure about that, but I hope he proves me wrong. I can't hate a coach that really wants to be here at this point in time after the last 8 years. If I had to give a ceilings based on what we know now I would compare him to Mark Richt. A guy that consistently wins, recruits well enough, but never takes you all the way. That's not a bad thing for the next couple of years after Butters tried to murder our program. I truly hope he proves us all wrong and becomes a coach that is always in the hunt, but if he stabilizes the program that is a giant upgrade right now. My question is that if he does prove to be a Richt like coach, how many 8-11 wins seasons in a row does he get before we are tired of it. I think the biggest goal in mind should be that if he is not the guy, at least he sets the table for the next one.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here is my thought and I truly hope he proves me wrong. Is he the coach we need right now. The obvious answer is yes. He knows what he is doing, gets the most out of the trash he inherited, and actually wants to be here. Will he ever take us back to consistently being in the championship hunts? I'm not sure about that, but I hope he proves me wrong. I can't hate a coach that really wants to be here at this point in time after the last 8 years. If I had to give a ceilings based on what we know now I would compare him to Mark Richt. A guy that consistently wins, recruits well enough, but never takes you all the way. That's not a bad thing for the next couple of years after Butters tried to murder our program. I truly hope he proves us all wrong and becomes a coach that is always in the hunt, but if he stabilizes the program that is a giant upgrade right now. My question is that if he does prove to be a Richt like coach, how many 8-11 wins seasons in a row does he get before we are tired of it. I think the biggest goal in mind should be that if he is not the guy, at least he sets the table for the next one.

^This

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Elite in college is being able to coach players up, manage the players in ball games and sell the future players into coming to play for him. So far he is 2 out of 3 in my book.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
By the end of 2020 we either will be talking about playing for championships, or be coach shopping.
My guess is he'll have us at least good enough that shopping for a replacement will be a tough sell. It's the prospect of his being a terminal tweener that concerns many of us most.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My guess is he'll have us at least good enough that shopping for a replacement will be a tough sell. It's the prospect of his being a terminal tweener that concerns many of us most.

That is what I'm saying '78, he is a good coach, but his record shows more Richt than Meyer... I don't think he is a Coker, Muschamp, etc.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I left Gator Country years ago because of the sunshine pumping. I really like Mullen ... but lets deal in the rational and not the emotional. He is doing a great job so far and I hope he keeps it going.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
The guy has taken a moribund group of players who flat sucked out loud for YEARS and turned them into a viable team who have shown the ability to compete and compete well in the SEC. When evaluating the team after just a short period I've seen them playing in a way that I haven't seen in a long time. Same players, different scheme and attitude. His play calling shows thought and understanding of the game, the competition and strengths of his players. When he speaks he makes sense and his reasoning is sound.

The issues are pretty clear. We ned a QB who is capable of running this offense and some DBs who know how to play the position. If we get those pieces and some more quality depth at all positions we have the kind of coach who can help us compete with anyone.

Or just a QB who can accurately throw the ball and read the defense. There is no "offense", but rather one that uses the talents of the players.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I left Gator Country years ago because of the sunshine pumping. I really like Mullen ... but lets deal in the rational and not the emotional. He is doing a great job so far and I hope he keeps it going.

OH, you had better calm that down...He's doing a great job so far...? You can'y say that with Dougie boy around.

I could not stand watching Addizo, Chump, and really hated Butters MacShark's Offense. NORD and his TE/Special Team Play drove me nuts.

So yes, maybe I pump a little Sunshine. But after the last 8 years...

You must admit it at least appears we are headed down the right track?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I will be the first to admit we are headed in the right direction.

But. Let me put this in perspective. I do endurance races ... marathons, Ironmans and long a$$ gravel bike races like the Dirty Kanza. This is a marathon and not a sprint. Look at Meyer ... he gets a new job and he looks fresh and ready to rock and roll. He gets stuff moving. Look at him in 2009 and now ... he looks miserable.

This is a marathon. Look at Saban. He is just as miserable now as he was when he first took the job. He is pacing himself. Its easy to pay attention to the details when everything is new and shiny. Lets see how this program goes a couple years from now. I love where it is going now but need that progression to keep going.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Everything is right there for the taking...like when Meyer got here the state of Florida was in turmoil. Miami was going down and fsu was being destroyed by a senile bowden. Meyer came in and took it over. Jimbo took advantage of it when Meyer was heading out the door. Now it’s our time again. Willie is a ****ing joke and Richt is looking awful. If Dan’s gonna do it he needs to take over the state in the next 2 years of recruiting

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017

And he will always be good until he wins a championship. Then he will be elite.

For me, it too early for that argument. The programs seems pointed int he right direction. If in three years we aren't competing for championships, then its time for that discussions.

Until then, I will enjoy the ride.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
In my opinion, you can’t be considered an “elite” coach without a championship. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator