What were you doing at 11?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Safe to say I was not doing that...

I've wondered what became of SRV's guitars. Not sure if that's one of his or if the kid just put the lettering on there.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Safe to say I was not doing that...

I've wondered what became of SRV's guitars. Not sure if that's one of his or if the kid just put the lettering on there.

Fender sells an SRV model Strat. Kids parents probably bought one and had it seasoned. Vaughan played a lefthanded model like Hendrix.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was at an inspection.

Oh, wait... You mean at age 11?

Hookers and Blow.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Actually that's not true...

I thought Jimi played a right handed guitar but played it upside down.

"With few exceptions, Hendrix played right-handed guitars that were turned upside down and restrung for left-hand playing"

Last edited:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Actually that's not true...

I thought Jimi played a right handed guitar but played it upside down.

"With few exceptions, Hendrix played right-handed guitars that were turned upside down and restrung for left-hand playing"

I never saw SRV live, only on video or Austin City Limits. I did see Hendrix live at the second Atlanta Pop Festival. I read somewhere that that he played the same setup as Hendrix but I can not find an image (Google). Everything I see is right handed body and neck. Diddy is correct about Hendrix playing a strat turned upside down and restrung. SRV did use a left-handed tremolo bar set-up. Apparently many of Vaughans guitars were put together with baling wire and had to be constantly refretted and necks replaced due to his heavy-handed playing style. The guitar shown in your video (Lenny) was crushed on stage by a piece of heavy stage equipment falling on it requiring major surgery on it (see second link).

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/srv-s-lenny-1
The girl in question is Lenora, or “Lenny” Vaughan, Stevie Ray Vaughan’s wife at the time, and the legendary Strat’s namesake, who was with Stevie when he found the ‘65 Strat at an Austin pawnshop. This battered, bruised guitar with one of the most twisted backstories in six-stringed history – frequently confused as a ’64, incorrectly listed on Wikipedia as a birthday gift in 1976 and rumored to be spotted with a left-handed neck at one time or another – has finally returned to set the story straight and appease SRV fans worldwide. On December 12, Guitar Center will welcome the newest addition to its Tribute Series of guitars, the SRV Lenny. At some point in my life, I remember reading or seeing something a little more definitive on this but I can't find anymore than this..

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guit...ray-vaughans-guitar-tech-rene-martinez-267030
In the following interview, Rene Martinez recalls working with Stevie Ray Vaughan, detailing the specifics of the Number One guitar and Vaughan's live rig and speaks eloquently about the legendary bluesman he came to think of as a friend as well as a boss.

What was the first guitar Stevie brought in to you, the Number One Strat?

"Yes, indeed. It was the Number One Fender Stratocaster. The action on it was pretty high. The guitar was pretty beat up, even then, showing a lot of wear and tear. He had had somebody install a left-handed tremolo system, even though he was a right-handed player."

Because he wanted to emulate Jimi Hendrix?

"I would imagine that was the case. I never really asked him. But that's what he had done. Maybe he liked the way it moved."

Regardless SRV was one hell of a special guitar player. The guitars he played were all hermaphrodites and Frankensteins.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
OK I'm not sure which guitar this is but it has a left handed neck and tremelo bar in its normal right handed position. It's kinda like he reached into a box and pulled out parts to assemble.

8b34b5a7a2ffc0919cad5c8454f50ff6.jpg

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
OK I'm not sure which guitar this is but it has a left handed neck and tremelo bar in its normal right handed position. It's kinda like he reached into a box and pulled out parts to assemble.

8b34b5a7a2ffc0919cad5c8454f50ff6.jpg

And from the video I posted above it seems he has a right handed neck with a left handed positioned tremolo bar.

Wow. Learn something everyday. After all these years I didn't realize SRV played that way.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I looked at the thread title and then my watch. 11? I can't possibly remember that far back.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I was always amazed by the sound Brian May got out of his guitar. Just last night I found out how :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Special

May built the guitar with his father out of stuff they had laying around because he couldn't afford to buy one. The neck was made from a fireplace mantel. The body from an oak table, He rewound (reversed) the pickups, used motorbike valve springs in the whammy bar and a bicycle part for the arm. A guitar he built as a kid was used to record some of the most iconic music of the decade and he used for 30 (40) years before he had to restore it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.