What would it take for 2 SEC Teams to get in the 4 team playoff ?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...et-two-teams-in-2014-college-football-playoff

I am not sure how this will play out but I am glad they have that emphasis on conference champions in their selection criteria as I still think Bama and some teams from years earlier shouldn't have been in the BCSCG when they didn't even win their own conference and there was no playoff (not even a small 4 team one). My guess is they will almost always take a conference champion over a non-conference champion if the records are the same regardless if the non-conference champion has the harder schedule. Maybe if you got an SEC team that only lost one game to the eventual SEC Champion and was ranked # 2 in all the polls they may consider it if they just look a lot better than the other conference winners but I don't see them doing that too often if the teams have the same amount of losses.

I do think this system may help get a 2 loss SEC Champion in over a 1 loss conference champion if they clearly had a harder schedule and their win in the SECCG was over a # 1 or # 2 team in the country at the time.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I would say the following scenarios would apply:

Definitely in: 2 undefeateds in the conf game and its a good game. Both would get in the 4 team playoff.
Probably in: 1 undefeated, 1 one loss in conf game and 1 loss wins the game and its a great game. Winner would definitely make it, loser has a decent shot over a non conf championship game conf winner.

granitegator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
this could work but, i think the committee will bend over backward not to have 2 teams from same conference in playoff

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n34824 said:
I would say the following scenarios would apply:

Definitely in: 2 undefeateds in the conf game and its a good game. Both would get in the 4 team playoff.
Probably in: 1 undefeated, 1 one loss in conf game and 1 loss wins the game and its a great game. Winner would definitely make it, loser has a decent shot over a non conf championship game conf winner.

I am not so sure on that. My thinking would be a 1 loss PAC 12 Or Big 12 champion definitely gets in over a 1 loss SEC non conference champion. The ACC and Big Ten argument could get interesting however in that scenario. I think FSU being defending champ would definitely get in but if was another ACC team or a Big Ten champion it could get interesting.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
granitegator said:
this could work but, i think the committee will bend over backward not to have 2 teams from same conference in playoff
I think so also - that is why they have that emphasis on conference champion in the criteria. They may be almost forced to occasionally however.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's not that hard to imagine 2 SEC teams in the playoffs. It would have happened the last two years if the playoffs were in existence. But those scenerios won't happen every year. It really helps if other conference champions have 1-3 losses.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n34839 said:
It's not that hard to imagine 2 SEC teams in the playoffs. It would have happened the last two years if the playoffs were in existence. But those scenerios won't happen every year. It really helps if other conference champions have 1-3 losses.

We definitely wouldn't have got in imo under this new format in 2012 even though we would have if ND lost to USC under the BCS system due to our SOS. As far as Bama last season due to having only 1 loss instead of 2 losses and losing in that crazy fashion they may have gotten the nod over Stanford.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
LSU and Bama would have both been in when they played each other for the crown a coulple seasons back, and bama and florida would have both been in for sure in 08 and probalby in 09 as well. 2 SEC teams is not hard to imagine. The reality is most people view other conference champs as mehhhh compared to SEC champs and SEC title game losers. Most of the time they pair the conf game loser against either a higher ranked team or a weak big 5 conf (like the big east in 09) winner and the SEC champ game loser is always heavily favored and ususally trounces whoever they play. When most of the discerning football world believes the SEC crown loser will beat up on another conf crown holder, its going to be hard to leave them out of the mix consistently. At the end of the day its voters and they will succumb to pressure based off who is really viewed as better regardless of conference champ standing.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Had to go back and look at those years. In 08 Bama would have probably got left out if Utah was in a big conference like they are now. It does look like in 09 and 11 Florida and Bama may have gotten that 4th spot due to another big conference winner having 2 losses.

They do keep stressing conference championships now so I think it will be very rare for a non conference champion to go over a champion with the same record.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bama and UF would have been in if the playoffs were in 2012.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n34984 said:

We wouldn't have in 2012 imo looking at it. The press was against us too much for looking so bad on offense and they would have took conference champions over us. The BCS would have took us due to our SOS jacking us up so much in the computer rankings if ND had lost to USC.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n34984 said:

Due to the playoff committee standards Florida had a better shot in the BCS, then in the with two 1 loss Major Conference winners. It would be hard to put 1 loss Florida who didn't represent their division over a 1 loss Oregon and a 1 loss Kansas State who both won their conferences.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n34997 said:
Due to the playoff committee standards Florida had a better shot in the BCS, then in the with two 1 loss Major Conference winners. It would be hard to put 1 loss Florida who didn't represent their division over a 1 loss Oregon and a 1 loss Kansas State who both won their conferences.

Agreed - It would have been Bama, ND, Oregon and K State none of which had 2 losses.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n34997 said:

Wrong. We are UF, so we automatically would be in. :lol:

westflgator

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n34935 said:
. At the end of the day its voters and they will succumb to pressure based off who is really viewed as better regardless of conference champ standing.

Not under this new system. It will be determined by a committee not a bunch of voters as a whole. The criteria has changed, and SOS will not carry as much weight as winning your conference (if you are part of a major conference). I still think it is possible, but not as likely as it was under the old system. The only way I see two SEC teams in the final four, would be if two undefeated teams play a really close hard fought game that comes down to a field goal, and the other major conference winners happens to have multiple losses, and there are no other highly ranked undefeated independants or smaller conference champs waiting in the wings, however, I think that scenario is highly unlikely. Once they move to an eight team playoff we will see multiple SEC teams on a yearly basis.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
westflgator said:
Durty South Swamp;n34935 said:
. At the end of the day its voters and they will succumb to pressure based off who is really viewed as better regardless of conference champ standing.

Not under this new system. It will be determined by a committee not a bunch of voters as a whole. The criteria has changed, and SOS will not carry as much weight as winning your conference (if you are part of a major conference). I still think it is possible, but not as likely as it was under the old system. The only way I see two SEC teams in the final four, would be if two undefeated teams play a really close hard fought game that comes down to a field goal, and the other major conference winners happens to have multiple losses, and there are no other highly ranked undefeated independants or smaller conference champs waiting in the wings, however, I think that scenario is highly unlikely. Once they move to an eight team playoff we will see multiple SEC teams on a yearly basis.
a committee is a bunch of voters braniac

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What will it take? Hell to freeze over. There is a reason they made a committee not a formula and the committee will be made up of like 90 percent people with ties to other schools or conferences. They designed this to specifically keep the all Sec thing from happening again. I dont expect that a team that cannot win even its own division will ever be in the playoff.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n35497 said:
What will it take? Hell to freeze over. There is a reason they made a committee not a formula and the committee will be made up of like 90 percent people with ties to other schools or conferences. They designed this to specifically keep the all Sec thing from happening again. I dont expect that a team that cannot win even its own division will ever be in the playoff.
I agree with this. Throw in condaliza freaking rice and we're screwed

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
Law98gator;n35497 said:
I agree with this. Throw in condaliza freaking rice and we're screwed
Condi is pro SEC

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.