What would it take to get you to change your opinion of Mac?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I am very curious on what it would take for people to define Mac as being on a track toward success.

I imagine for many it is continuing to improve in recruiting and show an improvement in the offense, but if we go 9-4 this year and score a ton of points will you be happy?

Is it the blowout losses to FSU and Bama that bother you? If we are playing them close does that give you confidence that he is the right guy or does he have to win one or both of those games?

For me:

The recruiting seems to be coming together. I'd like to see that continue. The key for me is to see his offense perform consistently with a QB. I want to watch an offense that looks competent. It doesn't have to be scoring 50 points a game as long as the offense is doing what it takes to win and making plays when plays are needed. I also want to see the defense continue to be aggressive.

I do think this will be the year we start to see Mac drive towards success. I think the offense will improve and the defense will not be as bad as people think. This may be the year I can say.. yep... Mac is the guy vs. I hope he is the guy.

What say you?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Solid recruiting and an offense that doesnt look like Chimpabammer (which means firing Nusschump). Record isnt really that important. A top say 25 offense is. We are way beyond the point of blaming chimp and lack of talent for the offense of woes.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
9-3 pre-bowl/SECCG with a decent offense finally and a top 8 minimum recruiting class.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Give me a top 20 offense (in the long haul...this year I'd be OK with a top 50) and consistent trips to Atlanta.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Solid recruiting and an offense that doesnt look like Chimpabammer (which means firing Nusschump). Record isnt really that important. A top say 25 offense is. We are way beyond the point of blaming chimp and lack of talent for the offense of woes.

Is the offensive ranking that important or is it more just being competent? If they are a Top 50 offense, but win games and can move the ball when they need to is that OK, or do you need to see the Top 25?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
An offense thats fun to watch, beat fsu and continue this path on the recruiting trail. I'll be the biggest pumper here.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is the offensive ranking that important or is it more just being competent? If they are a Top 50 offense, but win games and can move the ball when they need to is that OK, or do you need to see the Top 25?
The number isnt important but 40-50 isnt competent. That is Kintucky.

A late trend might be important too.

I have no delusions of us competing with clown town or trailer bammer for at least two more great recruiting classes.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The number isnt important but 40-50 isnt competent. That is Kintucky.

A late trend might be important too.

I have no delusions of us competing with clown town or trailer bammer for at least two more great recruiting classes.

I think that is fair and I generally agree... I think to what t-gator said... an offense that is fun to watch, but to me.. I need to see the defense continue a high level... not the same as it was this year, but we can't have a huge drop over time. I need to believe that he is building toward being a contender.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He's started changing my perception with his recruiting this year. But to make me a consistent Mac cheerleader he's going to have to be consistent and win against higher ranked teams and win with authority. He's going to have to do it using a well rounded approach (when's the last time we blocked a punt or field goal?) that consists of high caliber defense and offense. So far he has been embarrassed by upper echelon teams by putting dismal offenses on the filed.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
*A team that gets better as season progresses.
*A running game that breaks a Ds back late.
*My wife can't call predictable plays.
*A QB that can throw ropes, bombs & scoot.
*Special team play that contributes something.
*Beat booger eater, dawgs, corn dogs & 'holes.
*Look competent in the SECCG.
*Recruit like you mean it.

:clap:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Improve the product on the field on a weekly basis which would mean doing one simple thing: Care about and improve the PROCESS which involves the following:

Better game management
Better play calling on both sides of the ball
Development of players meaning less complete busts and knowing assignments.
Etc.

As mentioned previously by some others I also am not into the record or stats etc., b/c if the process is good the results will follow. Heck, we have gotten beaten like a rented mule 2 years in a row in the SECCG, but we got there, so the record was obviously okay. But the product on the field has been below average, which falls directly at the feet of Butters. I have not seen anything in Butters to think that will change, but if he proves me wrong I will be the first to admit it.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think he can win a lot of games without a top 30 offense.

For this year I think he needs a top 30 offense, top 5 recruiting class, win at least 8 games, and no more blow out losses. Defense will take a significant step back this year so losses will happen. I agree with Law that offense and recruiting are bigger signs of improvement than the win/loss column.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator