Whatever happened to Thursday night football?

Ninjax

Nov 21, 2017
I recall not so long ago when Thursday nights were the appetizer for the upcoming college football weekend and Monday nights, as has been the case for decades, were for the NFL. Now it seems the NFL has taken over the Thursday night slot and has done so with games so unappealing that I'd rather watch baseball. Just curious if others feel the same way.

Tonight's slate for the NFL btw...Jets at Browns. :suicide:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Definitely had better Thursday night games in the past. The old Big East used to provide some decent matchups before all those teams left.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It was eating up the NFL's ratings. Sucks. 2 years ago it seemed like every Thursday there was a good college game on.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I remember in the early 90's, we played Miss St. on a thursday night in Starkville and got our asses beat. Don't think we've played on thursday's night since.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I remember in the early 90's, we played Miss St. on a thursday night in Starkville and got our asses beat. Don't think we've played on thursday's night since.

It's exactly why we stopped playing on Thursday night, Spurrier hated it, felt he didn't get a full week of prep in. So it was stopped for us. It's good for schools like USF, UCF, etc.. to get the national spot light, because on Saturdays it's about the P5.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
They get better later in the season.
UNC v Miami
TTech at TCU
Stanford at Arizona St

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
And I remember as a student being at our first Thursday night game in 1990 when we demolished #4 Auburn at home 48-7... held them to like 20 rushing yards.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
IMO, 80% of NFL games are unwatchable. A lot of it is due to parity. It's hard to predict who's gonna be a good team in any given year. Personally, I'm not that much of an NFL fan. I have no interest in most teams. My friends say that I'm weird because I actually prefer to watch the preseason over the regular season.
Most importantly, the Thursday Night NFL product is crap. It's too taxing, physically, and it's too quick of a turnaround to get maximum engagement. Which usually leads to a watered down product.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I bet we all remember the Thursday when Louisville beat the Noles around 2000. I remember that game b/c it was the unofficial start to the Noles “forgotten decade”.

This wasn’t when Louisville was relevant either.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I bet we all remember the Thursday when Louisville beat the Noles around 2000. I remember that game b/c it was the unofficial start to the Noles “forgotten decade”.

This wasn’t when Louisville was relevant either.

For me it was FSU's first ACC loss, it was a Thursday night vs Virginia Nov 2nd 1995.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I recall not so long ago when Thursday nights were the appetizer for the upcoming college football weekend and Monday nights, as has been the case for decades, were for the NFL. Now it seems the NFL has taken over the Thursday night slot and has done so with games so unappealing that I'd rather watch baseball. Just curious if others feel the same way.

Tonight's slate for the NFL btw...Jets at Browns. :suicide:

What happened is FSU decided it can lose games just as easy on Saturdays as it could on Thursday nights. Therefore a national stage for their embarrassment was no longer required.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Definitely had better Thursday night games in the past. The old Big East used to provide some decent matchups before all those teams left.
yeah that was my first thought, the Big East dissolved.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Side hat plays Tulsa on bspn tonight at 7:30

Callaway should be featured tonight vs Jets at 8:20

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Awesome game, but it was a Saturday night contest.

Awesome atmosphere that night in The Swamp, the first indication that we weren't going to be ****ed with by the SEC anymore under SOS. The Barber punt return made the crowd go nuts....funny thing is, #24 for Auburn missed the original chance at a tackle and ended up making the tackle downfield....

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
It's exactly why we stopped playing on Thursday night, Spurrier hated it, felt he didn't get a full week of prep in. So it was stopped for us. It's good for schools like USF, UCF, etc.. to get the national spot light, because on Saturdays it's about the P5.

For some reason I had it in my head we gave a whooping to the cocks and a Thursday in the 90s. Went back and looked and sure enough they were all Saturday games.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know how much you'd have to pay me to watch a Temple football game. Or a Temple anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.