What's up with Foley after the game last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Until he is gone (and I mean gone) every hiccup, misstep, boner, f v c k up, etc. will be attributed to him. Right or wrong. Yes, our ancillary sports (including Yahtzee and bowling) have had success. But our football team, you know the sport that pays ALL the bills, has been abysmal for several years due to him and his piss poor decisions. There needs to be a clean purge to get the stench away from the program. Yes, I want all of our “teams” to have success and I’ve personally travelled far and near to support the Gators, but football is king forever and always. Nobody teases you about your track team...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What do the goat, Mrs. O'Leary's cow and Foley have in common?

Hint: It's not good.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
What official position? Did he retire or not?

He retired as AD. This article talks about two positions he still has, he attended in his official capacity, or at least I think so. He is to be raising money, sort of how SOS has a job as well.

Now you don't want him to have anything to do with Gator athletics, the powers that be do want him to have something to do with it especially to raise money.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
If Foley still had any say over anything Mac would still be head coach and we would still be planning to build a postage stamp football facility in an alley.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Fooley is still the "PUPPET MASTER", pulling all the strings and will continue to do so until he is banned from said position, like he should have been the day he "retired"!!!!!!!

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
He didn't "attend the game". If he was sitting up in the stands with everyone else there would be no problem. He's in the locker room just like he never retired, a place he has no business being. UF obviously paid for him to travel with the team.

It's obvious his influence is still felt far and wide and until he's given a restraining order to stay off of campus completely we will continue to get passed by crap schools like Missouri in the arms race. Stricklin should have put his foot down on this a long time ago, but it appears he doesn't have the balls.

When Ray Graves retired and received the title of AD emeritus, he was frequently present at the games and active as both a fund raiser and a booster. The difference is that Ray did it with class and restraint. He did not need or seek the attention that Foley apparently craves. Also, to my knowledge, Coach Graves didn't meddle in the daily operations of the FB program by parking himself in an office just down the hallway from the HC - like Foley reportedly did. I know that Foley did some great things at UF and I have given him credit accordingly, but his record as a FOOTBALL AD was nothing short of awful. I have enumerated his failures on several previous occasions and won't bother to do so again. As Ox said, he should have zero effect on ANY decision pertaining to UF athletics. And I for one am sick of seeing his ass on the sidelines at every possible opportunity. It's time to go quietly into that good night - or just get the hell out of Dodge already.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I know he screwed up with Chump and Mac, but he’s still one of the greatest Gators of all time. He spent his entire career working for our athletic department and he bleeds orange and blue. It was time for him to go, but I’d never ask someone to stop being a Gator...and that’s exactly what he is.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I know he screwed up with Chump and Mac, but he’s still one of the greatest Gators of all time. He spent his entire career working for our athletic department and he bleeds orange and blue. It was time for him to go, but I’d never ask someone to stop being a Gator...and that’s exactly what he is.
Who asked him to stop being a Gator? Please show examples.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Who asked him to stop being a Gator? Please show examples.
Sorry if I mistook all of you wishing he just went away, was never seen again and want the athletic department fumigated, as wanting him to disassociate himself from the program. What was I thinking?

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016

Of course he's still a Gator, and in some areas he exerted a tremendous positive influence, I get that. But his time as the leader of this program is over and it's now time to back off and let the new coaches and administration do their jobs without any further interference. At this point, his incessant on-camera presence at every conceivable TV venue is becoming a real nuisance and smacks of just not knowing when to let go. His continued "hovering" over the program also serves to undermine the new AD by confusing the issue of who is actually in charge. He was reputed to be a micro manager, if not an outright meddler, during his tenure - and nothing would seem to have changed. Be a Gator, but for the sake of Gator Nation, don't be albatross around the neck of the new leadership.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Of course he's still a Gator, and in some areas he exerted a tremendous positive influence, I get that. But his time as the leader of this program is over and it's now time to back off and let the new coaches and administration do their jobs without any further interference. At this point, his incessant on-camera presence at every conceivable TV venue is becoming a real nuisance and smacks of just not knowing when to let go. His continued "hovering" over the program also serves to undermine the new AD by confusing the issue of who is actually in charge. He was reputed to be a micro manager, if not an outright meddler, during his tenure - and nothing would seem to have changed. Be a Gator, but for the sake of Gator Nation, don't be albatross around the neck of the new leadership.
You folks that hate him are just assuming he’s still running the show. I’ve been impressed with Stricklin thus far and he doesn’t seem to be a guy that would’ve left his last gig to become Foley’s puppet. Him showing his support is just pissing some of you off. It’s not affecting anything other than your emotions.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry if I mistook all of you wishing he just went away, was never seen again and want the athletic department fumigated, as wanting him to disassociate himself from the program. What was I thinking?
I don't care if he goes to games (by buying a ticket and sitting in the stands) and wears all the Gator gear he wants to. He has no business in the offices or even one shred of influence with anyone currently working in the department.

His massive failures were well documented even before Butters, but the fact is that the hiring and (even more importantly) OVERSEEING of Jim McElwain was so bungled that Foley should have been fired, much less been able to stick around and act like he's still the AD. He KNEW the job Mac was doing and did NOTHING. He oversaw the decline of the football program and just turned a blind eye, because he couldn't bear to think that he made another awful hire.

As far as I'm concerned, he is 100% responsible for the 8-year freefall and the total destruction of the Gator brand.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Fooley's first major decision regarding football during his tenure as AD. We all knew what we had in Fooley regarding football the day he hired this A$$ CLOWN pictured above!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't care if he goes to games (by buying a ticket and sitting in the stands) and wears all the Gator gear he wants to. He has no business in the offices or even one shred of influence with anyone currently working in the department.

His massive failures were well documented even before Butters, but the fact is that the hiring and (even more importantly) OVERSEEING of Jim McElwain was so bungled that Foley should have been fired, much less been able to stick around and act like he's still the AD. He KNEW the job Mac was doing and did NOTHING. He oversaw the decline of the football program and just turned a blind eye, because he couldn't bear to think that he made another awful hire.

As far as I'm concerned, he is 100% responsible for the 8-year freefall and the total destruction of the Gator brand.
Hate him all you want, but him being around the program doesn’t mean he’s running things anymore...nor should he be. SOS has an office and his playcalling days are over, too. They’re Gators and they’re both trying to raise money for the athletic department IMO. They’re not decision makers anymore.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The only thing I will say is that Stricklin should have his vision of the program unobstructed. I'm not sure that is happening with Foley involved in day to day ops. Just MHO...gotta let the new guy spread his wings and fly. He seems to be having trouble letting go. He was a great Gator for many years and will be seen as such. Cut the cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator