When Franks sucks next game - play EJ or Trask?

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Looks like we all believe Franks is not the best starting QB past this season (hopefully includes Mullen).
Franks should start next week but Mullen needs to be prepared to replace Franks THIS SEASON.
I say play Trask. Let EJ play vs Idaho and keep his redshirt.
What say you?
Name and town if you wish to opine.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
First of all, it isn't going to happen. Second, the loss isn't on Franks as much as it was how we made Fromm look like first-team SEC through horrific coverage. That hurt more.

This is no time to change direction IMO. We're headed in the right direction. Continuity is important from multiple vantage points. Just keep on working on improvement.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
First of all, it isn't going to happen. Second, the loss isn't on Franks as much as it was how we made Fromm look like first-team SEC through horrific coverage. That hurt more.

This is no time to change direction IMO. We're headed in the right direction. Continuity is important from multiple vantage points. Just keep on working on improvement.
Franks fumbled the ball on our 1 yard line, threw a dud without any pressure directly to a DB, over threw a wide open sure thing touchdown with zero pressure, only for Scarlett to fumble a few plays later. He had a massive part in losing. Georgia picked apart McWilliams which is what good teams do: Target the weak point. We can’t help that so many dbs were out but Franks play was a huge part of the loss.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Franks fumbled the ball on our 1 yard line, threw a dud without any pressure directly to a DB, over threw a wide open sure thing touchdown with zero pressure, only for Scarlett to fumble a few plays later. He had a massive part in losing. Georgia picked apart McWilliams which is what good teams do: Target the weak point. We can’t help that so many dbs were out but Franks play was a huge part of the loss.
He was not without fault, but would you feel better with Trask behind center? I don't think I would. I also think Franks has exhibited certain leadership qualities that have helped endear him to his offensive mates. It might not resonate well in the lockerroom to sit him now.

I see more downside than upside with changing horses.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
He was not without fault, but would you feel better with Trask behind center? I don't think I would. I also think Franks has exhibited certain leadership qualities that have helped endear him to his offensive mates. It might not resonate well in the lockerroom to sit him now.

I’m not arguing about who’s behind center, the fact remains Franks was atrocious yesterday and handicapped the team entirely with his mistakes.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Franks was an absolute disaster yesterday. It’s discouraging as for every good thing he does, it seems like there are a couple of bad things to negate it. I am starting to think we have seen his ceiling , and it’s way to inconsistent. I really hope EJ takes major strides over the off season, and can win the job next year.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

Agreed. Mullen did not spend all season working on Franks to bench him now for Trask or Jones.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Let Jones play against FSU and the bowl game to save his redshirt, otherwise, use of Franks should get us by Mizzou, SC, and Idaho. Heading into spring though, make it clear to Franks that the QB competition is wide open, if he doesn't like it, he can leave.

Bottom line....we can't trust Franks to go out and win a game, the m.o. is to put him in position to not lose us games. It has worked all but two times so far. Letting Jones get valuable time against FSU and the bowl makes those games winnable. If we don't Franks will be exposed like yesterday and lose both, a Big Ten D like Wisconsin, Pedo State, or Michigan State will eat him alive, even with a month of prep.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

He had a really bad game, but so did virtually everyone. Aside from the brief moment we led in the second half, we were constantly trying to counter them. And when they needed a drive, the drove it down our throats, once throwing it to the same TE four plays in a row, for which we had no answer. So while I'm not denying he played poorly, I don't think we win even if he plays better because we couldn't stop them in the critical situations. Just a bad game all around.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
once throwing it to the same TE four plays in a row, for which we had no answer
How does it happen that we don't cover their pass catching TEs? This is a sincere question because I expected them to pass to TEs. There's that saying "do it until they stop it" and that's what georgia did. As a spectator I felt helpless watching them throw with ease to their F----ING TEs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How does it happen that we don't cover their pass catching TEs? This is a sincere question because I expected them to pass to TEs. There's that saying "do it until they stop it" and that's what georgia did. As a spectator I felt helpless watching them throw with ease to their F----ING TEs.
We didn't fail to cover the TE, we have SLOW linebackers.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Scarlett FUMBLED. EJ FUMBLED. Dropped passes. Mullen calling that QB run. No pass rush. No forced turnovers. CJ MCWILLIAMS, defense not covering nauta 4 STRAIGHT plays. There's plenty of blame.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Scarlett FUMBLED. EJ FUMBLED. Dropped passes. Mullen calling that QB run. No pass rush. No forced turnovers. CJ MCWILLIAMS, defense not covering nauta 4 STRAIGHT plays. There's plenty of blame.
Scarlett fumbled after Franks over threw a wide open receiver for a touchdown right? EJ recovered his fumble right? Yeah there were plenty of mistakes. Stewart and Hendo were both out so nothing we can really do about McWilliams. Franks throwing an interception to a wide open receiver with no pressure is inexcusable. Fumbling the ball on the 1 by being careless is inexcusable. Over throwing sure thing touchdowns with no pressure is inexcusable

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
I’m not arguing about who’s behind center, the fact remains Franks was atrocious yesterday and handicapped the team entirely with his mistakes.
Scarlett FUMBLe led to UGAs first TD. MCWILLIAMS/stoner gave up 2 TDs. EJs FUMBLE killed momentum.

Franks turnovers we're responsible for 3 points. He missed van on the pass but the entire team shyt the bed. Franks brought the team within striking distance multiple times only for the defense to let UGAs offense go right down the field

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Scarlett fumbled after Franks over threw a wide open receiver for a touchdown right? EJ recovered his fumble right? Yeah there were plenty of mistakes. Stewart and Hendo were both out so nothing we can really do about McWilliams. Franks throwing an interception to a wide open receiver with no pressure is inexcusable. Fumbling the ball on the 1 by being careless is inexcusable. Over throwing sure thing touchdowns with no pressure is inexcusable
CALLING A QB POWER WITH A PRO STYLE QB IS RETARDED. FRANKS DIDN'T FORCE SCARLETT TO FUMBLE. FRANKS SHARES THE BLAME. HE IS NOT THE REASON MAIN WE LOST

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Agreed. Mullen did not spend all season working on Franks to bench him now for Trask or Jones.
At some point Mullen will cut his losses with Franks. First Franks is a poor fit for Dan's offense, he will never be a prolific runner which is what you need at QB to make this offense click.
Coaching careers have been sunk for Coaches hanging their hat on the wrong QB, Mullen will not be one of those.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Would you believe me if I told you Franks has the same number of TD passes as Lock and a better yards per completion average?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator