When you demonize police you suffer the consequences

Discussion in 'Politics' started by divits, Jul 12, 2018.

1. divits

divits A Muffin of the Studly Variety
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $3,721
    Ratings:
    +11,765 / -37
    One of the many travesties of the Obama justice department was their "ready, shoot, aim" approach to reports of police corruption and abuse. They were constantly making announcements and proclamations before any real facts were produced. It was pretty clear that Holder and his liberal cronies held police forces in contempt and it had a marked effect on police moral. The fact that arrests across the country in major liberal cities are way down and the crime rates are going way up is evidence of that.

Yes, there are bad cops and they need to be weeded out. But they are the small minority. What has happened is that there has been a war declared on cops and they have responded in a way that is hardly surprising. Baltimore is one of the most classic examples. The cops there had been painted with a broad brush by their mayor and the Obama justice department and now the rank and file good cops have pretty much said, "F**k it."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...reddie-gray-wave-killings-followed/744741002/

BALTIMORE – Just before a wave of violence turned Baltimore into the nation’s deadliest big city, a curious thing happened to its police force: officers suddenly seemed to stop noticing crime.

Police officers reported seeing fewer drug dealers on street corners. They encountered fewer people who had open arrest warrants.

Police questioned fewer people on the street. They stopped fewer cars.

In the space of just a few days in spring 2015 – as Baltimore faced a wave of rioting after Freddie Gray, a black man, died from injuries he suffered in the back of a police van – officers in nearly every part of the city appeared to turn a blind eye to everyday violations. They still answered calls for help. But the number of potential violations they reported seeing themselves dropped by nearly half. It has largely stayed that way ever since.

“What officers are doing is they’re just driving looking forward. They’ve got horse blinders on,” says Kevin Forrester, a retired Baltimore detective.

The surge of shootings and killings that followed has left Baltimore easily the deadliest large city in the United States. Its murder rate reached an all-time high last year; 342 people were killed. The number of shootings in some neighborhoods has more than tripled. One man was shot to death steps from a police station. Another was killed driving in a funeral procession.

Anthony Barksdale, a retired Baltimore police commander, says the message to officers was unmistakable.

“These guys have family members who tell them 'Don’t go to work and chase people for a city that doesn’t care about you,'” he says. “If I’m riding down the street and I see an incident, I see it, but you know what? It’s not worth it. That’s what these cops are thinking.”

[​IMG]

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Wait til 2025
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $15,507
      Ratings:
      +39,638 / -1,243
      The irony is that the biggest problem in police corruption the the liberal policies that keep police from disqualifying people with criminal or other unacceptable behavior from LEO jobs.

It is funny bc I knew of a case where a white w felony arrest sued bc he was not hired and argued the policy was discriminatory against minorities (despite him being white male, no claims to minority). He got the job.... and was eventually fired for stealing lottery tickets while watching the front desk for a convenience clerk who needed a restroom.

Many times more are still bad cops but not quite that obvious.

There are other issues too, not just criminality, people who arent psychologically capable or just too beta to be competent.

#2 Swamp Donkey, Jul 12, 2018
      Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
      • oxrageous

oxrageous The Fuehrer
        Administrator

Oxbucks:
        $8,817
        Ratings:
        +23,602 / -235
        I’m surprised a ****hole like Baltimore that is run by liberal cop haters has any cops left. Seems like they would find another city to live and work in.

I know a lot of them did indeed just leave the city.

• Okeechobee Joe

Okeechobee Joe Lost Ball in High Grass
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $2,167
          Ratings:
          +6,626 / -17

This song was written 40 years ago. It's been a town of "beat up little seagulls" for a long time. When I was a kid I used to like hearing Dizzy Dean on the Falstaff Game of the Week talk about Oriole first baseman and Floridian Boog Powell. Brooks Robinson was the best third baseman in the game. That's sort of ironic because it was a televised game on Saturday but the "hearing" was as good or better than the "watching".

• gatordad3

gatordad3 You're stewed, buttwad!

Oxbucks:
            $506
            Ratings:
            +1,050 / -8
            Meet Baltimores finest, Mayor Catherine Puke, err, Pugh
            upload_2018-7-12_23-9-1.jpeg

• Gator Fever

Gator Fever Senior Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,447
            Ratings:
            +5,477 / -95
            FL is pretty strict when it comes to officers being hired with criminal convictions if I remember correctly but I am sure some other states allow all kinds of crooks to be hired. I think the FDLE here won't allow anyone to be a certified LEO that has a felony adjudication or served a sentence with a withhold or even a misdemeanor charge that is something that falls under moral turpitude and most agencies wont hire people that even have a felony arrest that has been dropped against them though it wouldnt surprise me if some in Broward or Dade counties do.

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $2,625
            Ratings:
            +9,742 / -41
            That is one fine looking woman.