Where do you think Adam Lane falls on the depth chart?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just a reminder that Lane is an unplayed redshirt freshman … 'til tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing him run.
Extra excitement. Gonna see how McGee is replaced in play use. Goolsby ?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n48177 said:
Based on what? Look, we all know how you feel about Taylor. He's a good back, and I agree he should be the starter...but who "technically" starts the game is really irrelevant. Taylor and Jones, IMO, are ahead of Brown, but that doesn't mean Brown is incapable of production, he just doesn't have the speed to be a big producer like a speed back would.

The OP said nothing in regards to how these guys compare to other schools in the conference, simply where does Adam Lane stack up right now. I gave my opinion, and you commented on it. I really don't understand the point you are trying to make, outside of simply restating what everyone already knows you think..."Taylor is the man, and everyone else sucks"
We get it.

I made my point in the comment like everyone else does - what don't you understand about the point I made in the comment ?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n48188 said:
I made my point in the comment like everyone else does - what don't you understand about the point I made in the comment ?

You commented to me, not the original poster. In fact, you've yet to comment on the OP. You apparently felt the need to call out my opinion, and I'm responding to it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n48195 said:
You commented to me, not the original poster. In fact, you've yet to comment on the OP. You apparently felt the need to call out my opinion, and I'm responding to it.

Well that happens here hundreds of times a day - that is why they are opinions.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n48198 said:
Well that happens here hundreds of times a day - that is why they are opinions.

:facepalm:

Have a nice day Fever.

GatorJersey

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Based on player quotes, I see him coming in on third and short and running for those tough yards.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
For whatever reason, Muschamp has fallen in love with a 230-235 pound power back that goes down when you breathe on him. So Jones is going to continue to get the ball. Taylor is obviously up there as well on the depth chart. I think Powell will be the 3rd guy for a change of pace. He is the only speed guy on the roster. After that I'm not sure. Brown is just a guy. Herndon is serviceable as a scholarship walk-on but shouldn't be playing if we can help it. My hope is that Lane takes Jones spot but I highly doubt that will happen. I think he is number 5 on the depth chart behind Brown and at best 4 behind Powell.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I actually think we are going to see Lane more than most people think. I think he is right up there with Brown, and maybe even ahead of Brown. I think when Lane will really come in and do the most damage is late in the game. In the fourth quarter when the defense is a bit tired and you bring a fresh Adam Lane who is like a bowling ball off the bench and just hammer the D into submission.

Powell will be used as a change of pace back, but I don't think he is ahead of Lane. It may depend on what personnel grouping Roper wants for specific plays vs. who is really higher on the depth chart.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
maheo30 said:
For whatever reason, Muschamp has fallen in love with a 230-235 pound power back that goes down when you breathe on him. So Jones is going to continue to get the ball. Taylor is obviously up there as well on the depth chart. I think Powell will be the 3rd guy for a change of pace. He is the only speed guy on the roster. After that I'm not sure. Brown is just a guy. Herndon is serviceable as a scholarship walk-on but shouldn't be playing if we can help it. My hope is that Lane takes Jones spot but I highly doubt that will happen. I think he is number 5 on the depth chart behind Brown and at best 4 behind Powell.
I think Brown is CLEARLY the #3 back.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
maheo30 said:
There are only so many snaps. With Taylor and Jones getting the bulk of the touches what is left? They clearly like Powell's low 4.4 speed and intend to use him a lot as a change of pace. I just don't think that leaves room for Brown.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
ATXGator said:
I actually think we are going to see Lane more than most people think. I think he is right up there with Brown, and maybe even ahead of Brown. I think when Lane will really come in and do the most damage is late in the game. In the fourth quarter when the defense is a bit tired and you bring a fresh Adam Lane who is like a bowling ball off the bench and just hammer the D into submission.

Powell will be used as a change of pace back, but I don't think he is ahead of Lane. It may depend on what personnel grouping Roper wants for specific plays vs. who is really higher on the depth chart.
I hope you are right. I really do. But Muschamp has stated repeatedly that is what Jones is for. He is supposed to be the 4th quarter battering ram.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r said:
I think it'll be Taylor/Jones 1a/1b, and Brown/Lane 2a/2b, with Powell as a change of pace guy and Herndan as a breather mop-up guy.
You make too much sense to be part of this board.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I really don't understand the argument or focus on the depth chart. Both WM and Roper have track records of preferring to utilize and roll different players to help keep the team fresh. As far as the RB's, Taylor and Jones are 1a and 1b.They are different players entirely with different skill sets. I don't agree with the idea that he goes down when you breath on him at all. In 2012( the only season when he was healthy) he repeatedly broke tackles and moved piles, and not just in the 4th Qtr. Roper has repeatedly said that there are situational sets for all of them. To make assumptions based off 1 game, which was vanilla in the extreme is way off base. We barely showed anything in that game, if after a few more games he's not used that is when I'd worry about transfer, but I think like ATX we will roll him later in the game. Lane is a fast , power runner whose basically a one cut and go type of guy. Different than the other backs we have so I think Roper will want to use that skill when it is called for.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
I see Lane anywhere from 3rd to 5th RB on the team. I hope Matt Jones can show a little improvement from what we saw so far of him, can't write him off yet I don't think. His freshman year he did some thing that was ok, last year is hard to judge with him being sick and then getting hurt soon after, and last week he didn't carry the ball a lot really. He seems easy to tackle and not very shifty. If he can't improve in those areas then I hope to see less of him and more of the other backs like Lane and BP.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n48174 said:
I think it'll be Taylor/Jones 1a/1b, and Brown/Lane 2a/2b, with Powell as a change of pace guy and Herndan as a breather mop-up guy.
These are my thoughts exactly.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator;n48277 said:
I really don't understand the argument or focus on the depth chart. Both WM and Roper have track records of preferring to utilize and roll different players to help keep the team fresh. As far as the RB's, Taylor and Jones are 1a and 1b.They are different players entirely with different skill sets. I don't agree with the idea that he goes down when you breath on him at all. In 2012( the only season when he was healthy) he repeatedly broke tackles and moved piles, and not just in the 4th Qtr. Roper has repeatedly said that there are situational sets for all of them. To make assumptions based off 1 game, which was vanilla in the extreme is way off base. We barely showed anything in that game, if after a few more games he's not used that is when I'd worry about transfer, but I think like ATX we will roll him later in the game. Lane is a fast , power runner whose basically a one cut and go type of guy. Different than the other backs we have so I think Roper will want to use that skill when it is called for.

I agree Jones brings good blocking and pass catching skills that the others don't have but as far as running I don't remember him doing much unless he had a clear hole or open space to kick out to. I don't remember him doing too much when things were tight at the line of scrimmage like you see with Taylor.

Tampa Gator

Banned
Banned
Sep 5, 2014
I put him at #5. Not sold on his skill set. Most of the hype is that he's 5'6" and 220#. I prefer rb's in the mode of gurley yieldon etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.