Where do you think Adam Lane falls on the depth chart?

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Gator Fever;n48288 said:
I agree Jones brings good blocking and pass catching skills that the others don't have but as far as running I don't remember him doing much unless he had a clear hole or open space to kick out to. I don't remember him doing too much when things were tight at the line of scrimmage like you see with Taylor.
Neither TD by Taylor was impressive on his part, nor were the ones scored by Jones. They both had two simple TDs. To take anything else away from Saturday on where these two are at is not wise.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n48294 said:
Neither TD by Taylor was impressive on his part, nor were the ones scored by Jones. They both had two simple TDs. To take anything else away from Saturday on where these two are at is not wise.

Hopefully we know more about any of our backs growth as a player after the game on Saturday against more of a SEC defense.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
Tampa Gator;n48293 said:
I put him at #5. Not sold on his skill set. Most of the hype is that he's 5'6" and 220#. I prefer rb's in the mode of gurley yieldon etc

How could you be, he has yet to see the field other than spring ball?

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
sonomagator;n48277 said:
I really don't understand the argument or focus on the depth chart. Both WM and Roper have track records of preferring to utilize and roll different players to help keep the team fresh. As far as the RB's, Taylor and Jones are 1a and 1b.They are different players entirely with different skill sets. I don't agree with the idea that he goes down when you breath on him at all. In 2012( the only season when he was healthy) he repeatedly broke tackles and moved piles, and not just in the 4th Qtr. Roper has repeatedly said that there are situational sets for all of them. To make assumptions based off 1 game, which was vanilla in the extreme is way off base. We barely showed anything in that game, if after a few more games he's not used that is when I'd worry about transfer, but I think like ATX we will roll him later in the game. Lane is a fast , power runner whose basically a one cut and go type of guy. Different than the other backs we have so I think Roper will want to use that skill when it is called for.

I agree Jones brings good blocking and pass catching skills that the others don't have but as far as running I don't remember him doing much unless he had a clear hole or open space to kick out to. I don't remember him doing too much when things were tight at the line of scrimmage like you see with Taylor.
Of course you don't, That doesn't make it true or correct. Of course Taylor never runs through holes does he? That's what Rb's do Fever. And yes multiple times in '12 and even last year he moves the pile. Even last week he was hitting the hole quickly and running through tackles, You either don't want to see it or don't want to admit it. Yes Taylor is quicker, so what? Lane and Flowers are quicker than Taylor. Again so what ? They are all different style backs, they have different plusses and minuses. None of them suck what so ever. This is just like all spring and summer when all you did was focus on any negative you could find. And of course any positive was part of some conspiracy on the part of the media , local and national, the AAU and Jeremy Foley to make WM look good. Well, hate to tell you but some of what they said was proven true last Saturday and none disproven.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n48294 said:

I am talking about their entire time here.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
TheDouglas78 said:
Ray Finkle;n48294 said:

Hopefully we know more about any of our backs growth as a player after the game on Saturday against more of a SEC defense.
Yes

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
Ray Finkle;n48294 said:

True as far as last week goes, but last year I saw a lot from Taylor that showed me he could be a top back.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
sonomagator;n48277 said:
I really don't understand the argument or focus on the depth chart. Both WM and Roper have track records of preferring to utilize and roll different players to help keep the team fresh. As far as the RB's, Taylor and Jones are 1a and 1b.They are different players entirely with different skill sets. I don't agree with the idea that he goes down when you breath on him at all. In 2012( the only season when he was healthy) he repeatedly broke tackles and moved piles, and not just in the 4th Qtr. Roper has repeatedly said that there are situational sets for all of them. To make assumptions based off 1 game, which was vanilla in the extreme is way off base. We barely showed anything in that game, if after a few more games he's not used that is when I'd worry about transfer, but I think like ATX we will roll him later in the game. Lane is a fast , power runner whose basically a one cut and go type of guy. Different than the other backs we have so I think Roper will want to use that skill when it is called for.

@ sonomagator, you know, Fever's conversation has made me take the time to go back and look up the stats, and I feel even stronger now than I did before. There is quite literally almost no statistical difference between the two backs. They both bring their own positives to the game, and statistically speaking they both bring positives and they are both pretty even, against comparable opponents. Looking at individual games, and overall stats, they are really even. In fact, in their careers at Florida, Matt Jones is averaging 4.9 yards per carry, with Kelvin Taylor averaging 4.8 yards per carry....I'd say that's pretty damn even, they just have their own quirks that gets the job done. Jones can move the pile, while Taylor is just a bit more shifty than Jones. But the more I look into both players, the more even they become in terms of production, no matter what style they are.

Here are some links to look at the stats:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/535917/year/2014/matt-jones
http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/546318/year/2014/kelvin-taylor

You can change the year in a box next to the word "Season:" near the top left.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Gator Fever;n48308 said:
I am talking about their entire time here.
I just don't see the hate on Jones. When healthy, he has done pretty damn well. He was probably only healthy for one full game last year and he did the best of any back last year. I also think Brown is a second back on a lot of SEC teams, first on a couple. We do not have anything to base Lane off of other than the spring game, where he looked pretty good as well. Wait until after one week is my biggest suggestion for you. My second one would be not to stroke out when you see #24 in the backfield to start most games.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Gator Fever said:
sonomagator;n48277 said:

URG, but if you go by stats KT does not average as much per carry as MJ. Damn... That MJ is just useless.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
sonomagator;n48277 said:

Yeah I know, I've posted the numbers before, he just refuses to believe it. I should know better by now.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think Lane is even with Powell on the depth chart. They are two completely different backs that compliment each other very well. I think of the depth chart as:

Jones/Taylor
Brown
Lane/Powell
Herndon

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Our backs have not faced a defense good enough to sort the Gator RB talents yet. UK should require them to show
their differences and how those matter and contribute. It's wait to see. Fun. If Lane is a tackle-breaker that puts him
at the top to me. We haven't had that in quite awhile.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Tampa Gator;n48293 said:
I put him at #5. Not sold on his skill set. Most of the hype is that he's 5'6" and 220#. I prefer rb's in the mode of gurley yieldon etc
Most of the hype is the defensive players saying he's the toughest back to tackle.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n48377 said:
I think Lane is even with Powell on the depth chart. They are two completely different backs that compliment each other very well. I think of the depth chart as:

Jones/Taylor
Brown
Lane/Powell
Herndon

I'm not sure why Brown is on the depth chart other than he's a senior and we seem to owe him playing time. We've seen him repeatedly. He's a below average back and will continue to be a below average back.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
sonomagator;n48277 said:

How many times do I have to explain that was done with clear holes and defenses that were wore down by the Jumbo package.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Lane is #2. He'll get 4-5 carries a game. MJ and KT are 1A and 1B. KT will get a few more runs and MJ will get a few more catches.

In SEC Comp:

Runs:

KT: 12-14
MJ: 8-10
Lane: 4-5
Powell/Brown: 1-3

Catches:

KT: 2-3
MJ: 5-7
Lane: 0-1
Powell/Brown: 1-2

But of course, this could be close to not even accurate. A couple of our backs will be out for some periods of time because they're either injured or nicked up.

So there will be games where Lane may play more than usual.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I went back and looked up Dukes stats from last year. They basically rolled 6 rb's. The top three ended up 113 carries, 107 , and 101. the bottom three had 66, 64, 62. I would think that with our stable all better athletes than he had our stats would look similar. With Taylor and Jones being the first two, I actually agree somewhat with what Law said previously, I don't think Brown ends up as our third option. I think that either or both Powell and Lane jump him. But no matter what all the backs will get their touches, Roper doesn't just ride one back like we did in '12 with Gilly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator