Where do you think Adam Lane falls on the depth chart?

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
sonomagator;n48277 said:
I really don't understand the argument or focus on the depth chart. Both WM and Roper have track records of preferring to utilize and roll different players to help keep the team fresh. As far as the RB's, Taylor and Jones are 1a and 1b.They are different players entirely with different skill sets. I don't agree with the idea that he goes down when you breath on him at all. In 2012( the only season when he was healthy) he repeatedly broke tackles and moved piles, and not just in the 4th Qtr. Roper has repeatedly said that there are situational sets for all of them. To make assumptions based off 1 game, which was vanilla in the extreme is way off base. We barely showed anything in that game, if after a few more games he's not used that is when I'd worry about transfer, but I think like ATX we will roll him later in the game. Lane is a fast , power runner whose basically a one cut and go type of guy. Different than the other backs we have so I think Roper will want to use that skill when it is called for.

I agree Jones brings good blocking and pass catching skills that the others don't have but as far as running I don't remember him doing much unless he had a clear hole or open space to kick out to. I don't remember him doing too much when things were tight at the line of scrimmage like you see with Taylor.
And howmany times do we have to explain that you're dead wrong?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n48507 said:
No way Jones catches 5-7 passes a game

Yeah. That's probably ridiculous, but the only reason I was thinking that is because I read that he's going to get some reps at TE. He seems way too small for that to me, but that's what I've read. So maybe more of a 3-5 catches/targets a game. 3 of them as dumps and maybe 2 at TE. Or whatever that B position is.

klgator

Jul 29, 2014
I watched Adam Lane play in high school at Winter Haven. Yes, he's a battering ram. He'll get 2-3 yards a carry with no blocking, but if he has a crease, he's gone. That's what makes him unique. Hopefully, we will see this today.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
sonomagator;n48277 said:
I really don't understand the argument or focus on the depth chart. Both WM and Roper have track records of preferring to utilize and roll different players to help keep the team fresh. As far as the RB's, Taylor and Jones are 1a and 1b.They are different players entirely with different skill sets. I don't agree with the idea that he goes down when you breath on him at all. In 2012( the only season when he was healthy) he repeatedly broke tackles and moved piles, and not just in the 4th Qtr. Roper has repeatedly said that there are situational sets for all of them. To make assumptions based off 1 game, which was vanilla in the extreme is way off base. We barely showed anything in that game, if after a few more games he's not used that is when I'd worry about transfer, but I think like ATX we will roll him later in the game. Lane is a fast , power runner whose basically a one cut and go type of guy. Different than the other backs we have so I think Roper will want to use that skill when it is called for.

I agree Jones brings good blocking and pass catching skills that the others don't have but as far as running I don't remember him doing much unless he had a clear hole or open space to kick out to. I don't remember him doing too much when things were tight at the line of scrimmage like you see with Taylor.
Jones isn't near the back of Kelvin, come on guys. Jones has no vision and constantly misses holes. I'll take kelvin 7 days a week and it will show over the long run who is the better back.

Jones is a good receiving back tho.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
sonomagator;n48277 said:

Correct

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n48656 said:
Yeah. That's probably ridiculous, but the only reason I was thinking that is because I read that he's going to get some reps at TE. He seems way too small for that to me, but that's what I've read. So maybe more of a 3-5 catches/targets a game. 3 of them as dumps and maybe 2 at TE. Or whatever that B position is.

Matt Jones is not significantly smaller than Trey Burton. And Jones has excellent hands, not just excellent hands for a back but excellent hands for a receiver.

Maybe think of the B position as a wingback if that helps. Not a true TE.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
klgator;n48767 said:
I watched Adam Lane play in high school at Winter Haven. Yes, he's a battering ram. He'll get 2-3 yards a carry with no blocking, but if he has a crease, he's gone. That's what makes him unique. Hopefully, we will see this today.

Hopefully but I doubt he gets more than 2 or 3 carries if he does play. Watching him in the Spring game it wouldn't surprise me if he was our 2nd best runner in reality.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He looked really good in the Orange and Blue game both running and picking up blocks. I am really hoping he gets some carries today.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When he was a junior he was being compared to MJD. Then, if I recollect properly, he was out his entire senior season with an injury.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;48782 said:
GatorJ;n48656 said:
Matt Jones is not significantly smaller than Trey Burton. And Jones has excellent hands, not just excellent hands for a back but excellent hands for a receiver. Maybe think of the B position as a wingback if that helps. Not a true TE.

That's funny because that's what Trey Burton's position kind of reminded me of. A wingback. I assume that they would rarely use this B position for blocking.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That brings up another point. I noticed that Jones and KT (but Jones to a greater extent) were greatly improved at picking up blitzes and blocking.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n48791 said:
That brings up another point. I noticed that Jones and KT (but Jones to a greater extent) were greatly improved at picking up blitzes and blocking.

Jones has usually been a decent blocker (it seems those tall big backs are usually pretty good at blocking). I didn't really pay attention to their blocking this past game but that is good news if Taylor is getting better at it because I remember him getting blown up a few times last season.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I noticed that as well. The one huge change that I noticed with the offensive line was that they tended to shift and move together. In certain directions. To create pockets. I don't remember that last year. It seemed like the offensive line just held their ground in their little area every single play last year. There were times on passing plays last game that I noticed that the line shifted to the left to create a pocket for Driskel.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n48796 said:
Jones has usually been a decent blocker (it seems those tall big backs are usually pretty good at blocking). I didn't really pay attention to their blocking this past game but that is good news if Taylor is getting better at it because I remember him getting blown up a few times last season.
Not just the physical skill of blocking, but reacting to the blitz quickly and being in a position to block the blitzers. Sometimes that would mean abandoning the play fake mesh point and moving quickly across the formation to pickup. They are both drastically improved IMO.

Many of those blitzers came free in past years.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n48798 said:
Not just the physical skill of blocking, but reacting to the blitz quickly and being in a position to block the blitzers. Sometimes that would mean abandoning the play fake mesh point and moving quickly across the formation to pickup. They are both drastically improved IMO.

Many of those blitzers came free in past years.

Lane did this a couple of times during the O & B game. Came all the way across the formation to pick up the blitz on the opposite side. He looks really good and I hope the coaches give him some touches.

O

OnlyGatorz

Founding Member
Founding Member
URGatorBait said:
Right now you have Jones and Taylor at 1a and 1b. If it were up to me, Taylor looks like the better back, but they both have their own positive attributes, so situation matters IMO with these two. You then have Mack Brown as the #2/3, depending on how you consider the depth. Lane seems like a back that could or should be right there with Mack Brown, and pushing to be up with Taylor and Jones. I'd have to assume that for the time being Lane is at least even with Powell, if not ahead of him, with herndon pulling up the tail.

Looking at the list of names, I don't recall a time when UF has been this deep at running back. I'm really not sure how we keep them all over time, but I suppose that's a good problem to have.
Agree - I don't remember having this much RB depth. I do believe that we are looking at transfers after the season, but injuries and situational needs could change that.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
Spot on.
...you're starting to make a habit of this. :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.