Which conference has the best coaches?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The Big Ten and ACC have been going back and forth this week.

Here are two articles that appeared recently...

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...ster-of-coaches-in-america-its-in-the-big-ten

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/99186/whos-got-better-coaches-than-the-acc-nooobody

I'm probably going to go with the ACC - Jimbo, Dabo, Petrino, Richt, Fedora, Fuente...hell Cutcliffe is half way decent at Duke...Paul Johnson.

We have Saban and the 13 dwarves. Maybe Malzahn is an inch taller than the other 12...maybe...

Have at it.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
"What about the SEC, you ask? Saban rules, obviously. But who’s the second-best coach in that league? It might be Florida’s Jim McElwain. Or Mississippi State’s Dan Mullen. Would either school’s fan base trade them for Harbaugh? You betcha."

These people are obviously hungry for clicks in this doldrums period

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Maybe a toss up between the Big 10 and ACC......Remember when we used to ridicule fans of those conferences endlessly....and to think Mullet and Butters are thought of as the 2nd best in our conference :doh:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe a toss up between the Big 10 and ACC......Remember when we used to ridicule fans of those conferences endlessly....and to think Mullet and Butters are thought of as the 2nd best in our conference :doh:

I really think that Saban is keeping the rest of the SEC down at this point. Let's call it the Saban effect. The East is just laughable.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Supposedly the SEC West had almost all the top coaches during the 2014 season.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'd have to go with the acc on this. The entire sec is still trying to hire the next nick saban. The big 10 has only 2 so I don't see how they're even close to the acc.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'd have to go with the acc on this. The entire sec is still trying to hire the next nick saban. The big 10 has only 2 so I don't see how they're even close to the acc.
I don't know I'd take D'Antonio, Franklin or the dude at Wisc. over most of the knuckleheads in the SEC, however looking at those top 5 guys in the ACC is pretty impressive compared to where that conference was a while back.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There are 3 good/great coaches in the Big 10, Meyer is better than any coach in the ACC, Harbaugh is about the same as Dabo. Other than D'Antonio, the ACC has more quality head coaches than the Big 10. The SEC really has become a vaccuum of coaches, it's Saban and.....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The fact that LSU hired Ed Orgeron as their new head coach tells you all you need to know about the current state of coaching in the SEC....

I'm going w/ the ACC from top to bottom. Some very good coaches over there.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
"What about the SEC, you ask? Saban rules, obviously. But who’s the second-best coach in that league? It might be Florida’s Jim McElwain. Or Mississippi State’s Dan Mullen. Would either school’s fan base trade them for Harbaugh? You betcha."

These people are obviously hungry for clicks in this doldrums period

I'd be interested to know...when we were hiring after Muschump is there anyone on here that wouldn't have taken Harbaugh if he wasn't Mich bound? He would absolutely kill it here in FL...hell, he is doing that now and he's in Ann Arbor. It's called moxie...panache...charisma. He reminds me of SOS so much. He pisses people off and doesn't care. You love him when he's yours and you hate him when he isn't.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I'd be interested to know...when we were hiring after Muschump is there anyone on here that wouldn't have taken Harbaugh if he wasn't Mich bound? He would absolutely kill it here in FL...hell, he is doing that now and he's in Ann Arbor. It's called moxie...panache...charisma. He reminds me of SOS so much. He pisses people off and doesn't care. You love him when he's yours and you hate him when he isn't.

I've been saying that for years. Heck, I said we should have reached out to him while he was still at Stanford after Meyer's first meltdown and we most definitely should have contacted him while he was still with the 49'ers and it was obvious that Muschamo wasn't going to work out. Couldn't have hurt, the worst he could've said was no.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I've been saying that for years. Heck, I said we should have reached out to him while he was still at Stanford after Meyer's first meltdown and we most definitely should have contacted him while he was still with the 49'ers and it was obvious that Muschamo wasn't going to work out. Couldn't have hurt, the worst he could've said was no.

GIG, he's a Schembechler guy. He's literally the closest thing to a Spurrier they have. He's there to rescue the program. SOS didn't win a MNC till his sixth year. I bet Harbaugh does it in similar fashion. Again, you think he's a dbag when he's not yours but when he is...you love all that stuff. I bet Spurrier thinks he's a great coach.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The fact that LSU hired Ed Orgeron as their new head coach tells you all you need to know about the current state of coaching in the SEC...
Im pretty sure Oger is a vast improvement over the dunce they had. And I dont think much of Oger.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The SEC really has become a vaccuum of coaches, it's Saban and.....
A bunch of mediocre DCs pretending to be HCs, none of whom could score consistently even if the other defense only played nine players.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
He was never coming to Florida.

Hey Gman...I hit the ignored content link on the bottom. I thought I might reply in kind. In my post, I never said he was coming here...I said if he wasn't a done deal to UM most of us(if not all) would have taken him in a heartbeat. I get he was never coming here but you would have taken him...yes?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Probably would have taken him but I really dont like him. He would probably grow on me if he was winning...

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Probably would have taken him but I really dont like him. He would probably grow on me if he was winning...

Yeah...he's the guy everybody loves to hate. I know it would have never happened but when Meyer was here...everyone hated him. That is awesome.

If they like you they are probably beating you.

-Stephen Orr Spurrier

My FSU buddies LOVE Mac...love Mac. They hope he's here forever. Tells you a lot...no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.