Which Gator surprised you this year?

leogator

May 5, 2018
Pleasant surprise and unpleasant surprise.

My pleasant surprise is Krull and Kyle Pitts. My unpleasant is Clayton.

Last edited:

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
The year ain’t over yet, but I’ll bite.

I’ve been surprised that it took until week 9 to see Franks benched, so he’s been a surprise, a very pleasant one at that.

Stewart has been the lone bright spot amongst the safeties, IMO.

Rayshad Jackson has been a surprise as well.

Disappointed in Clayton(hasn’t even played, I don’t think) and CeCe, who seems to just disappear for games on end. Tyrie Cleveland is another head scratcher, save for his special teams play.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Franks. He’s even schittier than I thought.

Sad, but true. I thought IF Mullen were wedded to Franks he would show some improvement, alas not. I guess I would say given the depth UF had, I did not expect a true Frosh RB to contribute as much as Pierce has.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Franks. He’s even schittier than I thought.
Cmon.....he’s been better than he was, by far.

I know that isn’t saying much, but I seriously figured that by the Cowbell or LSU games we’d have seen him replaced.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Cmon.....he’s been better than he was, by far.

You and other hopeful fans here might be confusing random variation in play and improvement. Improvement is something you can sustain. Random variation happens due to ability of opponents, how a player feels on a given day, etc.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
You and other hopeful fans here might be confusing random variation in play and improvement. Improvement is something you can sustain. Random variation happens due to ability of opponents, how a player feels on a given day, etc.

Oh come on!

IMG_9076.JPG

leogator

May 5, 2018
Big Fred surprised me last game by playing like a man possessed. Shuler surprised me by running down a play 20 yds downfield last game.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Shuler has been a big surprise, taking over a starting spot.

Slaton and Conliffe have both been disappointing - both losing their starting spots.

Pleasant surprise and unpleasant surprise.

My pleasant surprise is Krull and Kyle Pitts. My Unpleasant is Clayton.

Clayton is taking a redshirt....and lots of speculation he's transferring. He's obviously not as good as his rating coming out of HS. But if he sticks around and takes to the coaching, works in the S&C program, he likely plays a lot next year. I hope he sticks it out.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Shuler has been a big surprise, taking over a starting spot.

Slaton and Conliffe have both been disappointing - both losing their starting spots.

Clayton is taking a redshirt....and lots of speculation he's transferring. He's obviously not as good as his rating coming out of HS. But if he sticks around and takes to the coaching, works in the S&C program, he likely plays a lot next year. I hope he sticks it out.
I believe that both Polite and Zuniga opt for the draft so he will get a chance if he stays.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I believe that both Polite and Zuniga opt for the draft so he will get a chance if he stays.

Agree. If he leaves we're actually a little thin there (or will need true freshman). We've offered two JUCO DE's recently.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
McPherson has been a pleasant surprise, expected some drop off from Eddy.
Slaton has been a huge disappointment to me.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Oh come on!

It is always important to compare oranges to oranges. Last year because Foley was so sure he was a brilliant picker of coaches and a hurricane, Franks only played one game against a non-power 5 team. This year Franks has already played two such games. If you remove that fluff from his stats his 2017 QB rating against power 5 opponents is 113.1 and his 2018 QB rating against power 5 opponents is 124.7. Again this could be slight improvement or it could be random variation.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
MULLEN

At first I did not want him

Now I'm glad he's here

Pleasant surprise

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My first thought was Swain. As @gingerlover said he's had a better season as a WR and has been good as a returner. With the talent at WR, I didn't expect him to contribute like he has. Also Chauncey has been the year-over-year most improved. I always thought he could and it seemed to begin to click for him at the end of last year, but he's been amazing.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Also Chauncey has been the year-over-year most improved. I always thought he could and it seemed to begin to click for him at the end of last year, but he's been amazing.

I agree with this. His tackling is vastly better this year than last and tackling as I remember was the big complaint with him last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.