Who do you like for the Supremes? Trump likes Kavanaugh

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ancient Reptile, Jul 1, 2018.

1. divits

divits A Muffin of the Studly Variety
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $3,720
    Ratings:
    +11,764 / -37
    I hope this guy doesn't turn out to be another Souter.

• alcoholica

alcoholica Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,875
      Ratings:
      +7,842 / -252
    • Theologator

Theologator Enchanter

Oxbucks:
      $2,189
      Ratings:
      +2,899 / -21
      Don’t you love how the actual Stalinist/fascists call their opponent fascists to shut down actual conversation?

Red Wave in 2018. These shrill tactics are going to play well in NY, California and other deep blue areas but piss off most of middle America. Instead of the norm - losing ground in mid terms - Republicans will pick up seats in the senate and retain the house.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Wait til 2025
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $15,497
        Ratings:
        +39,628 / -1,243
        Or kennedy

Or Brennan

Or Warren

• Theologator

Theologator Enchanter

Oxbucks:
        $2,189
        Ratings:
        +2,899 / -21
        My two reasons were:

Supreme Court.
        Hell no to Hillary. Ever. She’s the most incompetent and unlikeable politician I’ve ever seen.

I do not like Trump’s unfettered narcissism and degradation of the dignity of the office. But I do enjoy his assault on political correctness and watching the hysteria over every inaccuracy or offhand comment. That’s not only entertaining but hammering at the lunacy. On a policy level he’s been extraordinarily effective.

• Okeechobee Joe

Okeechobee Joe Lost Ball in High Grass
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $2,167
          Ratings:
          +6,626 / -17
          When the liberals pick a Supreme Court justice the justice stays true to the liberal cause because the justices they select are more political judicial activists with an agenda. When the conservatives pick a justice he/she can fall anywhere along the spectrum on different cases. This reflects the fact that the conservatives try to lean towards picking a strict constructionist. Thus sometimes he/she will uphold a liberal piece of legislation and other times will uphold a conservative law. They at least try to set politics aside. In other words they call them as they see them. This would be the totally apolitical justice (if there is really such a being).

Every justice brings his/her own personal beliefs/biases to the table but exceptional justices try to be aware of this and try to negate it to some degree. My personal favorite on the Court is the conservative Clarence Thomas, but I suspect that the best justices might be those justices in the middle of the liberal-conservative spectrum. Whereas being on the extreme in politics is one thing, being on the extreme on the Supreme Court is another. We have several examples of great justices who betrayed their politics once they got appointed to the high court. Politics took a second seat to doing the job of being an impartial justice. So we conservatives might not get a ruling to our liking from Kavanaugh on every case, but he won't be Kagan or Sotomayor either. Thank God.

• Ancient Reptile

Ancient Reptile Senior Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,403
            Ratings:
            +2,051 / -108
            Kavanaugh looks a lot like the man he is replacing, likely to be a bit of an originalist, but more liberal on some issues than conservatives would like. I n fact, I don't see that the court has changed much: Gorsuch for Scalia and Kavanaugh for Kennedy are even up trades. That's not bad, and the Never Trump Republicans should really shut up as Trump continues to keep promises. Kavanaugh should be confirmed and should be a relatively easy vote for Heidtkamp, Manchin, and Donnelly, so they probably get re-elected and the GOP will still have but a narrow margin in the Senate.
            The real issue arises if a liberal justice has to be replaced.

• g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
              $2,089
              Ratings:
              +4,935 / -17
              Laughable.

• gatordad3

gatordad3 You're stewed, buttwad!

Oxbucks:
              $506
              Ratings:
              +1,050 / -8
              The liberals gift that just keeps on giving. Good going Tom Perez.
              https://downtrend.com/donn-marten/incompetent-boob-tom-perezs-dnc-tweets-out-pic-of-wrong-judge/
              Does this look like Kavanaugh?

[​IMG]

#129 gatordad3, Jul 11, 2018
              Last edited: Jul 11, 2018