Who do you think was MVP of the O&B Debut?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree because we haven't been building our offense to run that brand of offense. The blocking schemes are a little different and trying to do too much doesn't seem productive to me. Less to learn for a young developing offensive line. However until we know that Toney isn't a decent passer I'd like to see someone back there with a chance of beating a blitz with either his arm or feet.....I'm not sure anyone else on the roster has that ability. If Toney is basically just a runner "packaging" him will only work with limited success.
I wonder if Toney is typically a better passer on the run than in the pocket. He's looked terrible in practice, but his TD pass on the scramble in the spring game hit the guy right where he needed it.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's funny because I've stood right next to Rex and being 6' 3" myself can tell you he probably wasn't quite 6'...But I'm sure ALL ROSTERS ARE 100% ACCURATE, right??? How tall was Manzel? How tall is Drew Brees? How tall was Doug Flutie? Or hundreds of successful QB's, particularly in CFB? Toney is 5'11' he's not 5'7" or 5' 8" but I think we all know your real problem with him isn't his height.....is it?
He's 71 inches according to the NFL combine. Last time I checked that's 5'11".

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Rex&l=Grossman&i=6555

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Rosters sometimes lie....Treon was about 5'8" and a noodle arm. Toney can throw a football 75 yards off his knees.....Rex Grossman was only about 5'11", maybe 6' at best, Drew Brees maybe 6' and many other great ones...It's more about knowing where and when to throw as well as having the ability to keep your eyes open downfield when sh!t breaksdown than it is to be 6'4"...JD was 6'4' but had terrible field vision.

At the NFL combine scouts were surprised Grossman who was listed at 6' measured 6'1" when expected to be 6' 1/2". So not 5'11". Drew Brees Combine numbers were 6' flat.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I wonder if Toney is typically a better passer on the run than in the pocket. He's looked terrible in practice, but his TD pass on the scramble in the spring game hit the guy right where he needed it.
Could be, Manzel was phenomenal throwing on the run in college. I'm not arguing that he is the next Dan Marino, I just hope we get evidence one way or another before making him a slot receiver or Wildcat only QB. He also has the least amount of time working with the offense so he may not have the timing yet.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Russell Wilson listed at Wisconsin at 5-11 was found at the combine to be 5' 10 3/8"

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He must have left his cleats on.......

Have stood next to Grossman, I was shocked it's 6'1", but they have more of a vested interest to have it right from the combine. I trust there numbers, more than my memory.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You mean other than wasting another year?

I spent some time reviewing watching the spring game again. Pay attention to the first series. We had walkon LB RJ Raymond playing DT and he absolutely owned Fred Johnson, especially on the goaline.

We still have feal problems on the OL.

:lol: Law, that's stretching it only maybe thiiiiiiiiiiiis much. The stiff made one measly play the entire series, and that was lying on his stomach at the goalline because the ballcarrier happened to run into him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: Law, that's stretching it only maybe thiiiiiiiiiiiis much. The stiff made one measly play the entire series, and that was lying on his stomach at the goalline because the ballcarrier happened to run into him.
No, he penetrated four times at least on the first series alone. I know the play youre talking about, maybe the second goaline play, but even that was big penetration even if stumbled over the center's foot after blowing past Fred.

Fred is just SLOW in run blocking. Ive been a big fan of Big Fred. There is no excuse.

A walkon LB forced to play DT versus our first team OL should be thrown around like a ragdoll.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just say no to Read Option Football please... throw Toney the ball in space... run Toney, run!
Yeah, I dont remember which poster said it, but nothing says our offense sucks like installing the wildcat. So true.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The height thing is comical. The NFL makes players stand barefooted w/ their heels touching and toes pointed outward (like a V shape). Most players are AT LEAST an inch shorter than their listed college heights....and their college heights are usually rounded up (so someone 71.5 inches in college will be listed at 6' in college.....and then be 5'10 in the NFL). Charlie Ward was a 6'1 "college QB" then was measured under 6' at the NFL combine.

You mean "Tommy Townsend" as the SEC Network broadcaster repeatedly called him?

As Train pointed out, Tommy is Johnny Townsend's brother....he's also on our team.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's the only place I see 71 inches... multiple other sites have him at 6-1, including NFL.com. Your site also has Chris Leak at 73 inches. Chris Leak is shorter than Rex Grossman. So I would try a different source.
I can't find any other sites that say what his height was measured at the combine. There are some articles from a couple of years ago worrying about manziel's height that say that grossman and Vick were the only QBs less than 6' taken in the first round in the past couple of decades.

Like you and crete, I have also stood next to Grossman in person, most recently a couple of years ago at the airport in DC. There is no way in hell that he is 6 feet tall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator