Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No one here has either. They are either repeating something another blatherer wrote or repeating nonsense like "WG wants to redshirt!"

And for what it's worth, Concrete head, QB is a spot where you don't need to look like a LB and looking like a LB is usually detrimental (throwing mechanics). I do want to see a focus on getting a QB for the future than can actually complete a forward pass. To me it's quite encouraging that the HS and allstar game tapes of both these kids actually included mostly forward passes, so we aren't starting with a guy who couldn't even throw for 2000 yards a year in HS--Driskel obviousl-- and trying to make him into a college QB.

If they plan to run the QB, he will get hurt often, regardless of the weight. Tebow is the only QB in history that could rush the ball 30 times a game and not get torn apart.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox said:
Law98gator;n33268 said:
Most sites are showing HS numbers. Grier is in the 205 range now.
Well if that's true that's a beastly increase since January and would be plenty big.

I don't particularly have a preference on who gets the job but my gut is telling me it's Treon.
I had just heard that when he enrolled he was in the 180 range. Either way if he's 205 now there's no worries from me.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n33187 said:
It's telling that Grier had a huge head start on Harris, but still hasn't been able to be the clear number 2. Don't know if Harris is just that good or if Grier just needs a year under his belt, but I think Harris will be the backup and Grier will redshirt.

That points to consistency issues. Grier will overcome that in due time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think it points more to the fact that WM doesn't understand passing the football and is always inclined to go with the runner.

I like a guy who can run also, so long as he can move the ball throw the air and stress the defense vertically.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n33285 said:
I think it points more to the fact that WM doesn't understand passing the football and is always inclined to go with the runner.

I like a guy who can run also, so long as he can move the ball throw the air and stress the defense vertically.

I think Muschamp knows now that if he doesn't field a balanced attack, he's toast. I frankly think this is in Roper's hands. Grier can run the ball enough for this offense, but he's young.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I wish I believed that. The first he always says is "Don't get your QB hurt" regarding his lesson from last year (should really be the last three years of shiiiitty 100+ ranked offense). He doesn't ever say field a balanced attack, use the forward pass, or even "score points because I just figured out that you don't win by Time of Possession". He also waxes poetic about the prospect of pounding teams with Matt Jones because they will get tired of tackling him in the 4th.

That sounds more like a guy who still believes in his Bulldawgball offense and thinks getting Driskel and Matt Jones back fixes all that was wrong last year.

I pray that you are right about it now being in Roper's hands.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
I wish I believed that. The first he always says is "Don't get your QB hurt" regarding his lesson from last year (should really be the last three years of shiiiitty 100+ ranked offense). He doesn't ever say field a balanced attack, use the forward pass, or even "score points because I just figured out that you don't win by Time of Possession". He also waxes poetic about the prospect of pounding teams with Matt Jones because they will get tired of tackling him in the 4th.

That sounds more like a guy who still believes in his Bulldawgball offense and thinks getting Driskel and Matt Jones back fixes all that was wrong last year.

I think it's different this year. I think he knows he has to change or else. My only concern is it might be too late to make a meaningful difference UNLESS he somehow earns another bogey. Here we go ...

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:

Good point 78 that or he won't be 100 percent committed to the new offense

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox said:
Law98gator;n33268 said:
Most sites are showing HS numbers. Grier is in the 205 range now.
Well if that's true that's a beastly increase since January and would be plenty big.

I don't particularly have a preference on who gets the job but my gut is telling me it's Treon.
That weight came from the summer before his senior year.Most of the sites don't update their #'s during a players SR year. That's why Adam Lane had his 40 time listed at 4.7 , he ran it the day after he got his leg out of a cast for his broken leg and when he ran faster they didn't bother to update. GRier showed up at 190-195 .

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
'78 said:
That points to consistency issues. Grier will overcome that in due time.
I'm sure he will work it out and be more consistent. He's a freshman. I also don't care who wins the job. I just hope that whoever does win the job only has to play in mop-up duty.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n33291 said:

Did it occur to you that Muschamp went with a QB who was a better runner because he knew the offensive line was atrocious from 2010 until now and it may still be suspect ? I used to laugh at the people who said Brissett should have been the starter. Did they not see what happened to Brantley ?
As far as this years back up goes, I think either could get the job done, however if there are still issues with pass protection Harris seems to be good at keeping the chains moving with his short throwing game and legs. Grier is a good runner also but might be a better downfield passer but can be erratic with short throws which could put us in 3rd and long situations. Not where we need to be.
This is based on what I've heard and read only.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n33275 said:
If they plan to run the QB, he will get hurt often, regardless of the weight. Tebow is the only QB in history that could rush the ball 30 times a game and not get torn apart.

I don't know why you're so convinced that running quarterbacks ALWAYS get hurt. There have been plenty of spread-option or dual-threat quarterbacks in recent memory that haven't gotten hurt and have been very successful. I don't have stats to back me up but I would bet money that QBs are more likely to get injured from a blind hit in the pocket than out in open space. And I don't think anyone is expecting Jeff to rush for 1000+ yards and carry the ball 20-30 times a game. If he's somewhere between 500 and 750 yards I think that's pretty productive.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n33451 said:
I don't know why you're so convinced that running quarterbacks ALWAYS get hurt. There have been plenty of spread-option or dual-threat quarterbacks in recent memory that haven't gotten hurt and have been very successful. I don't have stats to back me up but I would bet money that QBs are more likely to get injured from a blind hit in the pocket than out in open space. And I don't think anyone is expecting Jeff to rush for 1000+ yards and carry the ball 20-30 times a game. If he's somewhere between 500 and 750 yards I think that's pretty productive.

The one that sticks out the most to me was Alex Smith the last year Meyer was at Utah. That guy would get pancaked several times a game running and just pop up like nothing happened despite being skinny. The problem with Driskel despite his size is that he appears to be injury prone with ankles etc. Some QB's seem to fall good usually without their feet/knees being planted too much which creates injuries. That isn't the case with Driskel it appears.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet said:
Law98gator;n33291 said:

Did it occur to you that Muschamp went with a QB who was a better runner because he knew the offensive line was atrocious from 2010 until now and it may still be suspect ? I used to laugh at the people who said Brissett should have been the starter. Did they not see what happened to Brantley ?
As far as this years back up goes, I think either could get the job done, however if there are still issues with pass protection Harris seems to be good at keeping the chains moving with his short throwing game and legs. Grier is a good runner also but might be a better downfield passer but can be erratic with short throws which could put us in 3rd and long situations. Not where we need to be.
Murphy played much better prior to his injury actually hitting a lot of 2nd reads when flushed out of the pocket.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n33451 said:
I don't know why you're so convinced that running quarterbacks ALWAYS get hurt.

Because I've been watching football for 35 years and running QBs ALWAYS get hurt.

BTW I'm not talking about guys who scramble 5 times a game, I'm talking about guys who carry 20+.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel has basically been significantly hurt once from a clean hit (Alabama). Last year was dirty and I think he would've played in 2012 had it not been a cupcake. He definitely "seems" injury prone but I'm not sure that's actually the case.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n33467 said:
Because I've been watching football for 35 years and running QBs ALWAYS get hurt.

BTW I'm not talking about guys who scramble 5 times a game, I'm talking about guys who carry 20+.
No one is expecting Driskel to carry it 20+.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Concrete Helmet said:
Law98gator;n33291 said:

True, I see Harris being more like Murphy and Grier being more like Driskel.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n33430 said:
Did it occur to you that Muschamp went with a QB who was a better runner because he knew the offensive line was atrocious from 2010 until now and it may still be suspect ?
Did it ever occur to you that by selecting the guy who is going to go 7-10 for 70 yards, you allow the defense to pin back their ears and blitz freely making the offense even more inept? If it didn't occur to you then just watch the game film.

At every other position, you can cover for weaknesses pretty easily. Have a TE who can catch and one who is stronger at blocking? Rotate them some and use their strengths. Have a power back and scat back? Hit the middle with one and attack the edges with the other.

Need some rushing yards? you can let the TB, RB, slot receivers, heck even the TE can carry the ball.

There is only one guy who can pass the ball, and if you have a running back at QB, you have no offense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n33468 said:
Driskel has basically been significantly hurt once from a clean hit (Alabama). Last year was dirty and I think he would've played in 2012 had it not been a cupcake. He definitely "seems" injury prone but I'm not sure that's actually the case.
Driskel has missed more football than all the other Gator QBs in the last 20 years.

He has also missed fall camp twice.

Game Day is on right now. Herbstreit just said Driskel just always seems to get hurt. Finally, my Jedi Mind tricks have converted him also to continue "lying" (according to Sonoma) about Driskel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.