• Total voters

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n33475 said:
Driskel has missed more football than all the other Gator QBs in the last 20 years.
Based entirely on ONE play in the third game of the season where he was hit standing in the pocket.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jordan Lynch
Taysom Hill
Nick Marshall
Dak Prescott
Johnny Manziel
Brett Hundley

All ran for 750+ last year without getting hurt for more than a game or two (in Dak Prescott's case). I didn't include service academies. There's no reason Jeff can't run for 500-750.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nah, dude he got smashed by Bama in 2011 on run and missed most of the rest of the season (and was gimpy and wearing a splint when he did play), got hit by Lafayette in 2012 on a run and missed game and a half. He also got hit on a run in 2012 in fall camp and missed most of camp.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
GatorInKnox;n33468 said:
Driskel has basically been significantly hurt once from a clean hit (Alabama). Last year was dirty and I think he would've played in 2012 had it not been a cupcake. He definitely "seems" injury prone but I'm not sure that's actually the case.
Driskel has missed more football than all the other Gator QBs in the last 20 years.

He has also missed fall camp twice.

Game Day is on right now. Herbstreit just said Driskel just always seems to get hurt. Finally, my Jedi Mind tricks have converted him also to continue "lying" (according to Sonoma) about Driskel.
Once from an appendectomy which I'm confident won't happen again.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n33485 said:
Nah, dude he got smashed by Bama in 2011 on run and missed most of the rest of the season (and was gimpy when he did play), got hit by Lafayette in 2012 on a run and missed game and a half. He also got hit on a run in 2012 in fall camp and missed most of camp.
He could've still played for much of 2011 but there was no point. It wasn't a season ending injury, there's no arguing that. He would've played the next game in 2012 if it wasn't a cupcake. I'll still argue that he's just as likely if not more likely to get injured on a sack than out in the open field.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet said:
Law98gator;n33291 said:
I wish I believed that. The first he always says is "Don't get your QB hurt" regarding his lesson from last year (should really be the last three years of shiiiitty 100+ ranked offense). He doesn't ever say field a balanced attack, use the forward pass, or even "score points because I just figured out that you don't win by Time of Possession". He also waxes poetic about the prospect of pounding teams with Matt Jones because they will get tired of tackling him in the 4th.

That sounds more like a guy who still believes in his Bulldawgball offense and thinks getting Driskel and Matt Jones back fixes all that was wrong last year.

I pray that you are right about it now being in Roper's hands.

Did it occur to you that Muschamp went with a QB who was a better runner because he knew the offensive line was atrocious from 2010 until now and it may still be suspect ? I used to laugh at the people who said Brissett should have been the starter. Did they not see what happened to Brantley ?
As far as this years back up goes, I think either could get the job done, however if there are still issues with pass protection Harris seems to be good at keeping the chains moving with his short throwing game and legs. Grier is a good runner also but might be a better downfield passer but can be erratic with short throws which could put us in 3rd and long situations. Not where we need to be.
This is based on what I've heard and read only.
Grier is really nothing like Driskel. I see more Grossman. I don't mean that good obviously since we haven't seen him on the field, but the quick release and the gunslinger thing. Driskel has always been a running QB. Even in HS he through for 1500 yards and ran for nearly that many per year.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm also curious, if you're convinced that he absolutely can't throw the football or make competent decisions but agree that he is a pretty good runner, why in God's name wouldn't you want him running the ball all the time? If you're a bigger fan of the backups it's a win-win for you.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n33493 said:
I'm also curious, if you're convinced that he absolutely can't throw the football or make competent decisions but agree that he is a pretty good runner, why in God's name wouldn't you want him running the ball all the time? If you're a bigger fan of the backups it's a win-win for you.

I absolutely think he should run the ball for as long as he lasts. The last thing I want is two more years of trying to make a passer out of this guy.

I'm just not convinced he can run the read option well, because, you know, it involves reading. He's better with pass run options. There is a reason they had Trey run all the read options the last few years.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n33471 said:
Did it ever occur to you that by selecting the guy who is going to go 7-10 for 70 yards, you allow the defense to pin back their ears and blitz freely making the offense even more inept? If it didn't occur to you then just watch the game film.

At every other position, you can cover for weaknesses pretty easily. Have a TE who can catch and one who is stronger at blocking? Rotate them some and use their strengths. Have a power back and scat back? Hit the middle with one and attack the edges with the other.

Need some rushing yards? you can let the TB, RB, slot receivers, heck even the TE can carry the ball.

There is only one guy who can pass the ball, and if you have a running back at QB, you have no offense.

The whole point is you can't pass the ball if you're broken in 2 pieces flat on you're back. To prove your point is incorrect just look at the difference in records between the 2010 and 2011 seasons (mostly Brantley and we threw more often) and 2012 (Driskel all the time and we threw the ball less).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox said:
Law98gator;n33485 said:
Nah, dude he got smashed by Bama in 2011 on run and missed most of the rest of the season (and was gimpy when he did play), got hit by Lafayette in 2012 on a run and missed game and a half. He also got hit on a run in 2012 in fall camp and missed most of camp.
He could've still played for much of 2011 but there was no point. It wasn't a season ending injury, there's no arguing that. He would've played the next game in 2012 if it wasn't a cupcake. I'll still argue that he's just as likely if not more likely to get injured on a sack than out in the open field.
Sorry, don't agree. He wasn't even dressed for several games in 2011. I don't think he dressed in 2012 either.

Whatever. Continue the Driskel and Mushcramp Excusathon.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The record in 2012 has zero to do with Driskell and almost nothing to do with the offense. Driskel did nothing that year outside of the first quarter vs FSU and the one nice pass in his career (to Reed vs. Tinerc).

2012 had to do with five 5 star defensive players, a 1000 rb and a kicker who could nail it from 50 yards. Literally anyone could have handed off to Gilly.

You can pass the ball if your brain doesn't function like a reptile. The ball should come out within 3 seconds on most plays. That's why almost every clip of practice features Roper screaming at Driskel to get rid of the ball, just constanty trying to overcome his fog.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I really have a feeling you'll be pleasantly surprised this year Law.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n33501 said:
I really have a feeling you'll be pleasantly surprised this year Law.

I hope you're right.

I do think the shotgun is the biggest no brainer of all. But Dooley and Ray Goof didn't run the shotgun. The fewer moving parts for Driskel the better and it gives the DEs three more steps to catch him.

SOS was painfully slow to switch to the shotgun too. Nearly got Danny killed because of it.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n33499 said:
The record in 2012 has zero to do with Driskell and almost nothing to do with the offense. Driskel did nothing that year outside of the first quarter vs FSU and the one nice pass in his career (to Reed vs. Tinerc).

2012 had to do with five 5 star defensive players, a 1000 rb and a kicker who could nail it from 50 yards. Literally anyone could have handed off to Gilly.

You can pass the ball if your brain doesn't function like a reptile. The ball should come out within 3 seconds on most plays. That's why almost every clip of practice features Roper screaming at Driskel to get rid of the ball, just constanty trying to overcome his fog.

I can assure you that Driskel and Brantley before him wished they had 3 seconds plenty of times when the defenders almost best the snap to them.

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
Law98gator;n33475 said:
Driskel has missed more football than all the other Gator QBs in the last 20 years. He has also missed fall camp twice. Game Day is on right now. Herbstreit just said Driskel just always seems to get hurt. Finally, my Jedi Mind tricks have converted him also to continue "lying" (according to Sonoma) about Driskel.
First time poster here. No pumper nor am I on the dismiss everyone bandwagon. But quoting Herbstreit for anything remotely involving UF? C'MON MAN!!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I never said the OL was good. They sucked. But lack of audibles and reads by the QB and incredible slow decision-making exacerbated the problem greatly.

There is a reason Driskel is already the Gator career sack leader.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
The playcalling/scheme means more than "who", in my opinion.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
GatorInKnox;n33468 said:
Driskel has basically been significantly hurt once from a clean hit (Alabama). Last year was dirty and I think he would've played in 2012 had it not been a cupcake. He definitely "seems" injury prone but I'm not sure that's actually the case.

He has also missed fall camp twice.

Game Day is on right now. Herbstreit just said Driskel just always seems to get hurt. Finally, my Jedi Mind tricks have converted him also to continue "lying" (according to Sonoma) about Driskel.
Guess that Knox just proved my case Law, just another one of your lies. Just like I proved it when you said that Murphy and Skylar threw for more yds etc in 2013 than Driskel did 2012, just like I proved when you said that Taylor played behind a 5th string Db and a walk on ( Showers and Herndon) he didn't . Do you want me to conyinue catalog the myriad of lies of yours that have been proven by myself and others? By the way you quoting Herbstreit is kind of a joke considering little respect you generally show for his reporting and knowledge. That dog just wont hunt Law.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n33484 said:
All ran for 750+ last year without getting hurt for more than a game or two.
I didn't say season ending, I said they get hurt. When you have a coach who turns off the offense (what little there was) completely when the backup steps on the field, getting hurt is devastating.

I know most of you are just too young to remember when we had a real offense. All you remember is us running Bob Davie's option or Ray Goofball. It's not really your fault.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Albert said:
Law98gator;n33475 said:
Driskel has missed more football than all the other Gator QBs in the last 20 years. He has also missed fall camp twice. Game Day is on right now. Herbstreit just said Driskel just always seems to get hurt. Finally, my Jedi Mind tricks have converted him also to continue "lying" (according to Sonoma) about Driskel.
First time poster here. No pumper nor am I on the dismiss everyone bandwagon. But quoting Herbstreit for anything remotely involving UF? C'MON MAN!!!
I wish I had the espn analysis of Driskel after the Miami game where they spent about 15 mins showing how terrible his basics were (particularly his eye work). Can't find that anywhere.

I know it made the Pumperdom go into convulsions as they tried to blame the receivers for yet another Driskel meltdown stupidfest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator