Whole House Surge Protection

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I heard from a friend about this previously and just found out from a neighbor two days ago that his house was hit by lightning twice within 40 days. I talked to a guy at home depot who acted like they were super simple to install. Basic electrical work like switches and outlets are no problem for me but I typically stay away from anything with 240v.

Has anyone installed these themselves? There are also multiple types, any specific suggestions? They look like pretty cheap insurance to protect against surges so not sure why more homes don't come with them.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I looked at your link, that's the type 1
41-PSCS1s8L._AC_UL115_.jpg
mainly for incoming spikes and surges.

Isnt that the point of this thread?

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
If you have a lightning strike fairly close, it can generate induced currents that can fry pretty much anything whether or not it is connected to a surge protector.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The main reason, for me, for that one from SECO is because of the warranty it provides for everything downstream. $5000 for an individual appliance, $500,000 total. $350 for 15 years of that coverage? No brainer.

And yes, light is still on.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
A lightning strike nearby your house will draw current and induce voltage spikes that can affect your home regardless of a surge protector at the incoming power feed. I had one nearby that induced voltage on my CATV cable that blew the terminal box off the exterior wall and left a 3" diameter hole in the stucco/cinder block. Haters gonna hate, lightning gonna lightning.

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
Damage should be covered by homeowner's policy. I had a business some years back where computer equipment that wasn't even plugged in was fried by a nearby lightning strike. The business insurance covered it.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks everyone for all the info. I looked on the JEA website and didn't see anything about surge protector at the meter. I'll give them a call tomorrow to double check but I think I want protection at the box to cover for in house surges. Next I'll just need to find a good guy to put it in.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A lightning strike nearby your house will draw current and induce voltage spikes that can affect your home regardless of a surge protector at the incoming power feed. I had one nearby that induced voltage on my CATV cable that blew the terminal box off the exterior wall and left a 3" diameter hole in the stucco/cinder block. Haters gonna hate, lightning gonna lightning.
Yep. A few million+ volts are gonna' do what they want to do. Nothing will change that.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Wish I had a surge protector to guard against Florida Power and Light what their surges did to my home. Six months of fear that the place was going to burn down while we were at work. Not to mention teo fried refrigerators, a fried cental air system, a fried washer and a fried dryer.

The Better Business Bureau wouldn't help. The Public Service Commission would not help, and they are supposed to regulate those thieves. Finally complained to a congrees person before they admited to fault and fixed the problem.

Our public utlities are robbing monopolies that will just as soon see you dead than admit fault.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Wish I had a surge protector to guard against Florida Power and Light and what their surges did to my home. Six months of fear that the place was going to burn down while we were at work. Not to mention two fried refrigerators, a fried cental air system, a fried washer and a fried dryer.

The Better Business Bureau wouldn't help. The Public Service Commission would not help, and they are supposed to regulate those thieves. Finally complained to a congrees person before they admited to fault and fixed the problem.

Our public utlities are robbing monopolies that will just as soon see you dead than admit fault.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wish I had a surge protector to guard against Florida Power and Light what their surges did to my home. Six months of fear that the place was going to burn down while we were at work. Not to mention teo fried refrigerators, a fried cental air system, a fried washer and a fried dryer.

Did ever find out what was wrong? Most of it sounds like a floating or open neutral.

Last edited:

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Did ever find out what was wrong? Most of it sounds like a floating or open neutral.
After six months of losing appliances, we had yet another power surge, none of which FPL said was their fault. They sent about the tenth tech to look at our connection to the buried power lines in the back yard one rainy night.

That guy was out there for hours, in the dirt. Afterwards, he took me aside and that he "unofficallly but probably found the problem."

To this day, FPL denies it was their fault.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
After six months of losing appliances, we had yet another power surge, none of which FPL said was their fault. They sent about the tenth tech to look at our connection to the buried power lines in the back yard one rainy night.

That guy was out there for hours, in the dirt. Afterwards, he took me aside and that he "unofficallly but probably found the problem."

To this day, FPL denies it was their fault.
It sounds like the repairman found an open neutral . One side of your panel could go to 200+ volts and the other would approach 0 volts. Light bulb would blow alot and 110v devices could burn out.
The weird thing is you said that your dryer and ac burned out and usually that unbalance doesn't show on 240v loads .

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
It sounds like the repairman found an open neutral . One side of your panel could go to 200+ volts and the other would approach 0 volts. Light bulb would blow alot and 110v devices could burn out.
The weird thing is you said that your dryer and ac burned out and usually that unbalance doesn't show on 240v loads .

Does it matter that the dryer uses both gas and electric? Cause it does. I mean it did. And so does the new one.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Does it matter that the dryer uses both gas and electric? Cause it does. I mean it did. And so does the new one.
Yes, big difference, a gas dryer would have 120v blower motor and controls only while an electric dryer would have 120v motor and controls, the heating element would be 240v . The 240 element tends to balances the load. Usually when a 240v device turns on it balances or comes close to balancing the load for the whole house.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, big difference, a gas dryer would have 120v blower motor and controls only while an electric dryer would have 120v motor and controls, the heating element would be 240v . The 240 element tends to balances the load. Usually when a 240v device turns on it balances or comes close to balancing the load for the whole house.
Okay, so I have a question. Did we not have busting light bulbs because we have the curly tail new bulbs? I married a tree hugger and we only have those eco style of bulbs?

Interesting to finally figure this all out.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Okay, so I have a question. Did we not have busting light bulbs because we have the curly tail new bulbs? I married a tree hugger and we only have those eco style of bulbs?

Interesting to finally figure this all out.
Probably so by nature CFL bulb have transformer and a gas is ignited. She should start going to LED bulbs as replacements they are getting cheaper now.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm about 50% LED now. I watch for deals on Amazon.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm about 50% LED now. I watch for deals on Amazon.
I've been seeing some good prices at my local Lowes. I shop there because they give me a 10% veterans discount year round. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.