Whorechant’s Corey Clark in shambles: Where CFB is heading in the NIL era

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see anything wrong with the article........ In the end, he blames the NCAA for screwing up College Football and I agree.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Its not the NCAA's fault, they certainly have been a catalyst with their ineptitude of slow to respond to anything. They could have gotten ahead of the NIL crap but decided to stick their head in the sand. Still, the most fault lays at the foot of the conferences and the TV contracts. The schools are now ready to whore themselves out and their students all in search of more TV $. I mean c'mon, over $500 million paid out to people not to work or do anything. Millions in guaranteed money because the "market" demands. Good for these kids to get some of the action.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see anything wrong with the article........ In the end, he blames the NCAA for screwing up College Football and I agree.

Me either.

I thought that he applied the Travis Hunter situation as a backdrop to address the broader problem with the current chaos.

If this situation had happened to UF the vast majority of the gator beat writers would have been much whinier and would have solely focused on making sure that the UF coaches and administration were exonerated rather than focus on the reality that this is the tip of the iceberg.

I have read a lot of this guys stuff and I think he’s better than 90+% of the slurpers covering UF.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
NCAA football recruiting has instantly become a sleazy flesh market thanks to the lack of common sense that had long held integrity for NCAA sports. For those of us who have long respected the sanctity of amateur athletics, this is a new nightmare.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NCAA football recruiting has instantly become a sleazy flesh market thanks to the lack of common sense that had long held integrity for NCAA sports. For those of us who have long respected the sanctity of amateur athletics, this is a new nightmare.
You can thank all of the P5 conferences and their member institutions. They chased the money and they got it. This is a byproduct of their greed.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
It's been a sleazy flesh market for a long time with a lot of the slime being in the "better not get caught" category. While I can't be sure when it all started, I suspect it was when bamuh first began offering scholarships.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
It's been a sleazy flesh market for a long time with a lot of the slime being in the "better not get caught" category. While I can't be sure when it all started, I suspect it was when bamuh first began offering scholarships.
"Ringers" have been around since Knute Rockne. One reason for the NCAA at all was the number of big, strong, fast men on the team that didn't seem to go to class or were even enrolled.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
The spectacle of Travis Hunter is only the onset of this new trend in recruiting. "Pimp Daddy"
Deion shows how it is done. Wave a couple million bucks under the kid's nose and watch all semblance of class fly right out the window. So what response can we expect from colleges and universities?
Think universities like UF, FSU, Ga, Alabama will just sit back and watch small schools like JSU and upstart coaches like Saban's buddy "Coach Prime" simply buy the top talent? My guess is no, but by which tactic? Bidding wars? New legislation? The game of college sports has changed, and not for the better.

Last edited:

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Idk, I have a slightly different viewpoint on all this. I see it more as an emergent market in capitalism. People are trying different things, and the market will respond and adjust. Since we are in the early stages of this, we are going to see some of these crazy deals and actions, but as time goes on businesses and donors for that matter are going to get smarter about who they are going to give these deals to, how they are structured, etc. In other words I think these things are going to become an outlier as the market reaches equilibrium.

Now is it good for the sport? One step closer to professional league, but this has been going on way before NIL came to be.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
An essay on Travis Hunter being sniped by Jackson State.

tenor.gif

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
Don't you think he's going to get a big payout and then transfer in a couple of years? Will he still get his NIL money? I'm not sure how that works.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Part of the deal with NIL is the university cannot be part of it, the NIL belongs to the player.

Soooooooooo, when #1 rank player gets tired of getting no publicity playing for podunk U and decides to enter the portal, his NIL money goes with him. Sooooooo, when big money booster footing the NIL money loses #1 rank player to another school and cuts off the funds, I think you have a pretty good case that this was pay for play and not NIL.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Part of the deal with NIL is the university cannot be part of it, the NIL belongs to the player.

Soooooooooo, when #1 rank player gets tired of getting no publicity playing for podunk U and decides to enter the portal, his NIL money goes with him. Sooooooo, when big money booster footing the NIL money loses #1 rank player to another school and cuts off the funds, I think you have a pretty good case that this was pay for play and not NIL.
Well Dave Portnoy is an alum from the Univ of Michigan, so he has no ties to Jackson State in that regard. Portnoy pulled a huge publicity stunt and got away with it. I'm sure the deal is structured so that Hunter gets X amount of money per year, while enrolled at Jackson State. For all we know, it's $400k per year, with a $300k signing bonus on ESD.

As for other situations, who cares if boosters pay NIL money. For instance, if Ward's Supermarket in G'ville wants to pay a player to endorse their store, why would they keep paying him if he transfers? The majority of these deals are going to be regional. And if you're big enough to get a National deal, then it's probably not happening from a booster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.