Who's rooting for LSU tonight?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't Andy Devine the host?

And you, I bet, were a cute lil kid. Andy Devine was host (how could I forget his tumbleweed eyebrows)
Thanks lots for joining in on the nostalgia.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
While I still don't like the shenanigans LSU pulled a few years back; it does help us for the SEC to remain seen as the strongest conference in college football.

With Auburn beating Washington and LSU beating miami; that's two top 10 teams that went down to SEC teams. It's stuff like that that means a 1 loss SEC team goes to the playoff over a 1 loss Pac 10 team; and stuff like that that means 2 SEC teams get selected for the playoff at the end of the year as opposed to just one.

Ultimately, that helps the Gators.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think "SEC Pride" is fully appreciated by anyone except those who actually attended an SEC school, as opposed to just rooting for the team from one. It's about the fact that despite our obvious sports rivalries, there's sort of a brotherhood or mutual relatability among students and alumni of SEC schools that's attributable to the fact that the respective student bodies and the experience of attending one are almost identical.

With only a few exceptions, all SEC schools are "the" flagship public universities of southern states, with similar campus architecture due to being land-grant universities that were built around the same time, located in college towns with comparable atmospheres, and attended primarily by students who were typically in the (barely) second tier of top students in their high schools, second only to the handful of students at the very tippy-top that ended up going to Ivy League or other elite private schools.

I'm not aware of another athletic conference where the campuses, campus environments and student bodies are all so remarkably alike.
Long ago memory, but relavant. Traveling with the Florida basketball team to Oxford for a game.

A few of us walked over to a campus bar the night before. The Ole Miss students sat there all prim and proper looking at us Florida guys as if we were aliens from another planet. It felt like we were in a time machine.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes I'm sure there was a time back in the day when Florida students were more distinguishable from students from Deep South universities than they are today.
Of course. The internet and cable TV have morphed the masses into more of a homogeneous sum.

Jun 2, 2015
Well, IF we had a QB, IF we had a kicker and IF we had a punter, we might have done a bit better. Oh well, this too shall pass and at least it wasn't a conference game and we did hold them pretty good in the 2nd half. We will probably rise up and play FSU like we did ND last year as we are either very hot or very cold. How do you guys think
you will do against LSU? Gotta be worth a few points having them in the Swamp. I really hope LSU can beat Auburn and most particularly Alabama.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Well, IF we had a QB, IF we had a kicker and IF we had a punter, we might have done a bit better. Oh well, this too shall pass and at least it wasn't a conference game and we did hold them pretty good in the 2nd half. We will probably rise up and play FSU like we did ND last year as we are either very hot or very cold. How do you guys think
you will do against LSU? Gotta be worth a few points having them in the Swamp. I really hope LSU can beat Auburn and most particularly Alabama.

Honestly? Im not sure yet. Our oline scares me and Franks while I agree he is improved, I don't know how he will do under strong fire. My guess is we win but it will be closer than we like.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Better than U did, although that's not saying much.

Daytona’s Husband played for Miami back in the day. She is a true Southern Lady; all class. If you didn’t know she was for Miami, you’d swear she was old school SEC.

(nothing at all like their current fan base of thugs, hoodlums, and especially wannabe thugs and hoodlums, ESPN could do a 30 for 30 on her—The Last Classy Miami Fan)

Alex.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Daytona’s Husband played for Miami back in the day. She is a true Southern Lady; all class. If you didn’t know she was for Miami, you’d swear she was old school SEC.

(nothing at all like their current fan base of thugs, hoodlums, and especially wannabe thugs and hoodlums, ESPN could do a 30 for 30 on her—The Last Classy Miami Fan)

Alex.
She's classy and she's shown verve coming on a Gator board wearing a UM av. In most cases, that's probably not gonna work. DC has pulled it off with great dignity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb