Who's the 2nd best coach in the SEC?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This answer would be easy if Spurrier didn't retire.

Mullen, Freeze, Malzahn, and Sumlin have all had one really good year, and then a bunch of average years. I guess you can throw Mac into that category also; although, Mac's success has been with an easier schedule. The allegations against Ole Miss has ruined Freeze's reputation. Bielema is a good coach but not a good recruiter, and he hasn't had his one good season yet. Orgeron may be good at LSU, but his time at Ole Miss was disastrous. Kirby Smart could be the second best but it's too early to tell. He very well could be another Muschamp. All of the other East coaches suck.

Wow, the SEC's coaching pool is disappointing when you really look at it. If Saban had stayed in the NFL, things would probably look much different.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The balance of power in the SEC changed on Dec 5, 2009. Florida undefeated and a 5 point favorite had lost only one game (by 1 point) in two seasons, had two NC's in the previous three years and Tim Tebow. But Alabama had an impressive undefeated season behind the running of Heisman trophy winner Mark Ingram. Practice that week focused on stopping the running game. Stop the run 1st, run 2nd, maybe pass 3rd offense of Alabama, win the game. So how did Alabama win that game? They came out throwing. Greg McElroy passed down field for scoring drives on their first two possessions and a 9-0 lead that they never relinquished. And then sealed the game with game with a 17 yard TD pass. Who game planned Urban Meyer into esophageal spasms and changed the college football landscape forever? That's right, Jim McElwain.
:stirpot:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Chris Vannini of CoachingSearch.com fame went with Bielema
There is no other choice....If it weren't for being at the hardest school to recruit at in the entire universe(without cheating like Petrino) Bert is the man. He smashed McNumbnutts last season with more injuries than we had in 2013.....and we were playing for a lock on the East title.....Bert would rule the East with a iron fist for years...

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Butch Jones has produced more champions of life than any other coach.

I also don't think there is a Bristol Cup trophy in Tuscaloosa either.

So I go: Saban and Butchy are 1 & 1a.

Second is anyone but Muschamp-that guy sux on an epic level.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The balance of power in the SEC changed on Dec 5, 2009. Florida undefeated and a 5 point favorite had lost only one game (by 1 point) in two seasons, had two NC's in the previous three years and Tim Tebow. But Alabama had an impressive undefeated season behind the running of Heisman trophy winner Mark Ingram. Practice that week focused on stopping the running game. Stop the run 1st, run 2nd, maybe pass 3rd offense of Alabama, win the game. So how did Alabama win that game? They came out throwing. Greg McElroy passed down field for scoring drives on their first two possessions and a 9-0 lead that they never relinquished. And then sealed the game with game with a 17 yard TD pass. Who game planned Urban Meyer into esophageal spasms and changed the college football landscape forever? That's right, Jim McElwain.
What happened to that guy? Amnesia? Dementia? The clap?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

:mac:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

And Saban hasn't kept that up at all...weird. As soon as Mac left...oops...nevermind.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ole Butterteeth is the modern day Gary Pinkel.

Malzahn says call me when he wins a championship.

Freeze, with one tenth ths talent, has actually beaten Saban, not once but twice.

Hell Bert Bielema has some conference championship rings and mercilously skull fvkked Butterteeth.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
An argument can be made for Malzahn, but his record in rivalry games leaves a lot to be desired. Now that he has the best passer he's had as a head coach I'd like to see how his plan unfolds. Especially now without his right hand man. They lost a lot of talent on their D-line with Adams and Lawson leaving.

klgator

Jul 29, 2014
An argument can be made for Malzahn, but his record in rivalry games leaves a lot to be desired. Now that he has the best passer he's had as a head coach I'd like to see how his plan unfolds. Especially now without his right hand man. They lost a lot of talent on their D-line with Adams and Lawson leaving.
They still have Byron Cowart, don't they? <GRIN>

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
My mind slips into thinking it's Coach White, on his way upward.??:D

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I get a headache just thinking about who might be the second best coach in the SEC. I am not sure there is one.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
1. Malzahn 18-14 SEC games (35-18 overall) (1 Bama win in 4 games) 0-0 against UF
2. Sumlin 21-19 SEC games (44-21 overall) (1 Bama win in 5 games) 0-1 against UF
3. Freeze 19-21 SEC games (39-25 overall) (2 Bama wins in 5 games) 0-1 against UF
4. Mullen 29-35 SEC games (61-42 overall) (No Bama wins in 8 games) 1-0 against UF
5. Bielema 10-22 SEC games (25-26 overall) (No Bama wins in 4 games) 1-1 against UF

Looking at that I would probably give the designation to Malzahn over Sumlin. Malzahn also has the championship game appearance. Freeze has the 2 Bama wins but is well back in SEC win % and overall win %. I guess Miles would have been a clear second if you didn't let talent level affect your view on the numbers too much.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
1. Malzahn 18-14 SEC games (35-18 overall) (1 Bama win in 4 games) 0-0 against UF
2. Sumlin 21-19 SEC games (44-21 overall) (1 Bama win in 5 games) 0-1 against UF
3. Freeze 19-21 SEC games (39-25 overall) (2 Bama wins in 5 games) 0-1 against UF
4. Mullen 29-35 SEC games (61-42 overall) (No Bama wins in 8 games) 1-0 against UF
5. Bielema 10-22 SEC games (25-26 overall) (No Bama wins in 4 games) 1-1 against UF

Looking at that I would probably give the designation to Malzahn over Sumlin. Malzahn also has the championship game appearance. Freeze has the 2 Bama wins but is well back in SEC win % and overall win %. I guess Miles would have been a clear second if you didn't let talent level affect your view on the numbers too much.

Miles was 62-28 in SEC play
Richt was 83-37

The SEC has had a huge talent drain at the head coaching position. Crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator