Why didn't we hire Charlie Strong back in 2010 again?

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hate to bring up the past but why didn't we hire Strong? Don't give me that crap about Strong not having any head coaching experience either. Hindsight is 20-20 but both coaches were really good defensive coaches and neither of them had head coaching experiences. However, Strong was a long time assistant for us and he knew the lay of the land when it comes to recruiting. Finally and most importantly, he truly wanted to make Florida his dream job (Ok, he never told me this but actions speak louder than words and I truly believe he wanted to be our coach for the rest of his career).

It is obvious Muschamp was in over his head. What were you thinking Foley? Both candidates were even, why not go with the guy who was more familiar with the program? Yea, I can here some of the responses on GC......."Why are you crying over spilled milk" or "Should have, would have, could have" or "blah...blah..blah" BUT this is a discussion board....hopefully there will be some good conversation for what went wrong with the hire back in 2010.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Strong said no to the job because he wanted to stay loyal to Louisville due to them giving him his first HC job.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I truly believe strong will end up being a poor hire at a major program (he hasnt told me he will but i truly believe it). He did well at louisville by in large b/c he out recruited every team in his conference. Around half the players on his team were kids from Florida or SEC school transfers who were good enough to get the big scholly offer but had off field issues that he (ironically enough) ignored when bringing them to the ville. Time will tell, but so far Texas is a disaster. I get he's kicked a bunch of kids off, but it's very possible that him no longer having the big time recruiting advantage he had before, it becomes evident he is not a top tier program type coach.

He also insinuated that the reason he didnt get the UF job was b/c of racism... to me that's pretty classless. He got to coach us in a bowl one year as the HC and we got blown out by a sh*tty ACC team. Maybe that could be the reason? I dunno... its just my HO.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Here we go again. This topic keeps coming up, both here and on other boards. It has NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING to do with Charlie "not being ready" for a HC job, Charlie being African-American, or any other reason, other than timing.

Let's go back a short while in Gator history to Saturday, December 5, 2009. We had just been clobbered by Bama in the SECCG. Evidently, known only to Urban, his wife Shelley, and (I think) AD Foley, Urban had his chest spasms in the stadium after the game, and especially, when he got home. He must have just let it pass, and within days, Charlie was contacted by, and days after that, hired as Louisville's HC. Later in that December, days before our Sugar Bowl match with Cincinnati, Urban decided to "retire." Then he "unretired." So he was still going to coach us into 2010, and Charlie was GONE.

Fast-forward to early December, 2010. Urban decides to leave, for REAL. Charlie has been a HC, but for just one year at Louisville, the team that gave him a chance at HC. He wasn't going to leave them after just one year, and I believe he made that clear. So he was "off the board."

So Charlie had just completed his first year at Louisville when we hired Will. That's it. There's no "conspiracy theory," no "crap about Strong not haveing any head coaching experience," NONE of that. It was all a matter of timing.

I still contend that if Urban KNEW he was quitting on December 6, 2009, and was committed to that, he could have told Foley he was quitting after the Sugar Bowl and to appoint Charlie the HC. But Urban didn't do that.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n91732 said:
He also insinuated that the reason he didnt get the UF job was b/c of racism... to me that's pretty classless. He got to coach us in a bowl one year as the HC and we got blown out by a sh*tty ACC team. Maybe that could be the reason? I dunno... its just my HO.

The only sh*tty team in the Georgia Dome that night was wearing O&B.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I was at that Peach Bowl, and I concur with the Captain's opinion. Now, as to the timing back THEN (now we're going a real ways back, TEN years), Urban had already been hired, he was the hot-shot offensive mind and Foley not only had him targeted from the start, he had to fight off ND to get him. Again, no racism involved, Foley wanted Urban, he got him, and he got two crystal balls and SEC titles out of him.

Anyone want to give those 2 NCs and 2 SEC titles back just to have had Charlie as the HC in 2005? No, I didn't think so.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n91749 said:
Here we go again. This topic keeps coming up, both here and on other boards. It has NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING to do with Charlie "not being ready" for a HC job, Charlie being African-American, or any other reason, other than timing.

Let's go back a short while in Gator history to Saturday, December 5, 2009. We had just been clobbered by Bama in the SECCG. Evidently, known only to Urban, his wife Shelley, and (I think) AD Foley, Urban had his chest spasms in the stadium after the game, and especially, when he got home. He must have just let it pass, and within days, Charlie was contacted by, and days after that, hired as Louisville's HC. Later in that December, days before our Sugar Bowl match with Cincinnati, Urban decided to "retire." Then he "unretired." So he was still going to coach us into 2010, and Charlie was GONE.

Fast-forward to early December, 2010. Urban decides to leave, for REAL. Charlie has been a HC, but for just one year at Louisville, the team that gave him a chance at HC. He wasn't going to leave them after just one year, and I believe he made that clear. So he was "off the board."

So Charlie had just completed his first year at Louisville when we hired Will. That's it. There's no "conspiracy theory," no "crap about Strong not haveing any head coaching experience," NONE of that. It was all a matter of timing.

I still contend that if Urban KNEW he was quitting on December 6, 2009, and was committed to that, he could have told Foley he was quitting after the Sugar Bowl and to appoint Charlie the HC. But Urban didn't do that.

^This

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n91760 said:
The only sh*tty team in the Georgia Dome that night was wearing O&B.

lol sometimes i really think you just want to pick fights... I said we got blown out by a sh*tty team. Meaning we were an Extremely sh*tty team. Are we now insinuating that Miami in 04 was not sh*tty? B/c they were pretty blehh all year... which is why getting hammered by them was even worse. I agree we were the only sh*tty team that night. Are you happy now?

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n91728 said:
I'll get this out of the way early:

:racist:

Ox, I know this is your website and you can say whatever you want but no where in my post did I give the slightest indication that I was referring to race. In fact, that is the furthest from the truth and I hope this thread doesn't go that route. I just wanted to know what other people on here were thinking now that it seems more than likely that Muschamp will be fired soon. That is all...lol

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n91749 said:

So you think it was bad timing. Nothing wrong with that answer. No need to type it in bold letters with red and black colors though...lol.

Oh and it keeps coming up because it seems like we made the wrong choice in hind sight. I know it is easier to see that now vs then but I believe we could have got Strong to come back if we truly wanted to. Foley likes defense minded coaches. Why not get one that was part of the program recently.

I think Muschamp wasn't a good fit ( I know...well...Duhh) He tried to turn us into Alabama and that is not the talent Florida produces. We are about speed and more speed. I think Strong knew this....Muschamp obviously didnt until it was to late. Thanks for your reply.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906;n91794 said:
Ox, I know this is your website and you can say whatever you want but no where in my post did I give the slightest indication that I was referring to race. In fact, that is the furthest from the truth and I hope this thread doesn't go that route. I just wanted to know what other people on here were thinking now that it seems more than likely that Muschamp will be fired soon. That is all...lol

Pretty sure Ox was just kidding around.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator;n91801 said:
Racism doesn't exist. The Holocaust didn't happen. White men have small dicks.

No one is saying that racism doesn't exist, just that it isn't the reason for Strong not getting the job in 2010/11.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n91777 said:
lol sometimes i really think you just want to pick fights... I said we got blown out by a sh*tty team. Meaning we were an Extremely sh*tty team. Are we now insinuating that Miami in 04 was not sh*tty? B/c they were pretty blehh all year... which is why getting hammered by them was even worse. I agree we were the only sh*tty team that night. Are you happy now?

Not really picking a fight, that was a pretty damn good team we faced that night. They finished ranked 11th in the country and were favored to beat us pretty handily anyway. Besides, two of their touchdowns were on a blocked FG and a punt return, so it's not like their offense was rolling up and down the field on us. Offense couldn't do sh*t and Chris Leak kept sliding short of the 1st down marker on 3rd down.

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n91803 said:
Pretty sure Ox was just kidding around.

You are right but Ox is a really smart poster my friend. Sure he was joking but he knows that this topic may get heated as well. He was kind of making fun of what may potentially overtake an otherwise good discussion.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n91810 said:
Not really picking a fight, that was a pretty damn good team we faced that night. They finished ranked 11th in the country and were favored to beat us pretty handily anyway. Besides, two of their touchdowns were on a blocked FG and a punt return, so it's not like their offense was rolling up and down the field on us. Offense couldn't do sh*t and Chris Leak kept sliding short of the 1st down marker on 3rd down.

I agree their ranking and record reflected better than sh*tty... they were 9-3 after the bowl W. You gotta admit though that as bad as the ACC is, it was twice as bad back then. Even FSU sucked a fatty during that period. But anyway, thanks for the fairly cordial response for a change.

Are we bro's now??? :highfive:

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n91822 said:
I agree their ranking and record reflected better than sh*tty... they were 9-3 after the bowl W. You gotta admit though that as bad as the ACC is, it was twice as bad back then. Even FSU sucked a fatty during that period. But anyway, thanks for the fairly cordial response for a change.

Are we bro's now??? :highfive:

Bro's don't high five, they fist bump. :fistbump:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator