Why didn't we hire Charlie Strong back in 2010 again?

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
TheDouglas78;n91804 said:
No one is saying that racism doesn't exist, just that it isn't the reason for Strong not getting the job in 2010/11.

So out of KCs comment you decided to only debate the racism part?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Above average but occasionally mediocre DC with a resume that says I beat Will Mushchimp before everyone figured out he sucked and some Conference USA teams masquerading as a BCS conference (but lost to a couple of losing USA teams at home).

Once he gets fired at Texass we can hire him back as recruiting coordinator or position coach.

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n92988 said:
Above average but occasionally mediocre DC with a resume that says I beat Will Mushchimp before everyone figured out he sucked and some Conference USA teams masquerading as a BCS conference (but lost to a couple of losing USA teams at home).

Once he gets fired at Texass we can hire him back as recruiting coordinator or position coach.

I guess you aren't a fan of his I suppose. LOL

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n92306 said:
That was my mistake. I did not see the 2010 part. I just noticed it now. So for that I apologize. But the OP is confusing. Louisville hired him on Dec 2009. How would we be able to hire him in 2010?

What was confusing about it? I was trying to compare Will Muschamp to Charlie Strong in 2010 and allude to the fact that both of them had similiar resumes at that time. Assuming that to be the case, why not go with the candidate that has the most experience within the Florida program? One poster stated that the timing was off a little. I think that had a role in the decision, however I truly believe that we could of convinced Strong to leave Louisville if we truly wanted to. It is sad to say, but Ox was right. This thread went down the path of racism unfortunantly. I wasn't trying to start a race war or anything. I was simply hoping for a good discussion.

Another poster asked what my opinon was on the topic. Well, I know Will Muschamp at the time seemed like it made a lot of sense because he was deemed an up and coming head coach; however Strong was just as qualified as Will at the time in my opinion. Thus, I really don't have an answer and that is one of the reasons why I started the thread in the first place. Did Strong really interview that bad in the past? Did Muschamp make that good of an impression on Foley? Was it the fact that Muschamp was deemed the "head coach in waiting" at another good program? Was it the fact that we got stomped by Alabama in the 2009 SECC game? I can't put my finger on it really because it seemed like it came out of nowhere.

I know hind sight is 20/20 but looking at the current situation, Will Muschamp made 2 critical errors that will be his downfall in my opinion. Number one, he stuck with a QB that is prone to make mental errors at crucial moments (aka Driskeling). Number two, he isn't willing to adjust his system to meet the needs of the current talent. He tried to turn is into Alabama light and that was NOT the fabric of the Florida program. Again, maybe that was one of the reasons Foley wanted to hire Muschamp in the first place. Foley saw what Alabama did to us in the SECC game of 2009 and thought that the only way to beat that team was to transform our program into something similiar. I have no idea but I vivedly remember reading post after post following that game on gatorsports.com message board (sorry to say the name on here Ox). Most of the posts were saying how "soft" our team was and how "strong" Alabama was. People were saying that we got pushed around and we needed to be tough like Alabama. Maybe Foley thought the same thing and wanted us to be like them?

So why did I bring this topic up? ("Here we go again"- Savannah Gator LOL) Well, if we don't learn from our past, then we are doomed to repeat it. Plus, it is a really interesting discussion because post 2009 SECC game fans truly wanted us to be like Alabama. Currently, people are realizing that the Florida program is at its best when it is built utilizing our speedy athletes in space. That is one of the reasons why I believe fans are saying that we need an offensive coach instead of a defensive one (besides the fact that Zook was average and Muschamp was below of course). Personally, I think we could get a defensive coach that understands the culture of Florida's athletes and one that will adjust their system to our talent. Funny how

Again, I was NOT trying to start a race war. I was merely trying to start a healthy discussion about our past and what we can do to help shape our future in a positive way. I know we aren't hiring the next head coach or anything but it is still an interesting topic to discuss.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906;n93185 said:
Was it the fact that we got stomped by Alabama in the 2009 SECC game? I can't put my finger on it really because it seemed like it came out of nowhere.
2006 and 2007. Muschimp beat Creyer one of those years without the offense scoring a TD...little did we know that would become his formula for success.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906;n93053 said:
I guess you aren't a fan of his I suppose. LOL

Nope I like him a lot. Just not as HC and I'm lukewarm about him as DC. He's produced a few pretty marginal defenses.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why do people say the phrase "I truly believe.." on a football message board? Read it like 3 times on the first page alone.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n93193 said:
Why do people say the phrase "I truly believe.." on a football message board? Read it like 3 times on the first page alone.

I truly believe that you get irritated by the little things.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is just another example of the chaos and desperation from the hiring and tenure of Will Muschamp. You're whining about "Why didn't we" issues. Former DC, Charlie Strong has been the author of one of the worst records in Texas Longhorn history while Dan Mullen has been the architect that transformed the weakest football program in the SEC to the #1 team in the nation (until they play Bama in Tuscaloosa) So what? Whether Strong is overrated or Mullen a genius are worthless subjects to debate. They're not going to pull up stakes and ,march into a post Mushcamp Gainesville. The issue is what kind of lucrative contract and support can be offered to a gifted promising assistant coach or a proven winning head coach of another university.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n93435 said:
This is just another example of the chaos and desperation from the hiring and tenure of Will Muschamp. You're whining about "Why didn't we" issues. Former DC, Charlie Strong has been the author of one of the worst records in Texas Longhorn history while Dan Mullen has been the architect that transformed the weakest football program in the SEC to the #1 team in the nation (until they play Bama in Tuscaloosa) So what? Whether Strong is overrated or Mullen a genius are worthless subjects to debate. They're not going to pull up stakes and ,march into a post Mushcamp Gainesville. The issue is what kind of lucrative contract and support can be offered to a gifted promising assistant coach or a proven winning head coach of another university.

The fun part is that Tennessee would never have a shot at hiring either of those coaches while Florida waits for something even better to come along.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
G 2;n93446 said:
The fun part is that Tennessee would never have a shot at hiring either of those coaches while Florida waits for something even better to come along.

Oh, really. You could have posted the same words before your AD, Foley, searched the world and picked Will Muschamp as the next Florida head coach. lol. How did that work out for you after waiting for "something even better to come along"?

Face it, son. You are the new Tennessee. Welcome to mediocrity HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Alvin York;n93454 said:
Oh, really. You could have posted the same words before your AD, Foley, searched the world and picked Will Muschamp as the next Florida head coach. lol. How did that work out for you after waiting for "something even better to come along"?

Face it, son. You are the new Tennessee. Welcome to mediocrity HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are so beat down and butt hurt and injured that your desperation to somehow upset gator fans has completely taken over your life. I just cant imagine being so down and out that I would have to frequent apposing teams sites to somehow try to make them share in your misery. I would recommend seeing a mental health professional and possibly getting a prescription for prozac. We will rise from the ashes and continue to own your miserable program...

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906;n93185 said:
What was confusing about it? I was trying to compare Will Muschamp to Charlie Strong in 2010 and allude to the fact that both of them had similiar resumes at that time. Assuming that to be the case, why not go with the candidate that has the most experience within the Florida program? One poster stated that the timing was off a little. I think that had a role in the decision, however I truly believe that we could of convinced Strong to leave Louisville if we truly wanted to. It is sad to say, but Ox was right. This thread went down the path of racism unfortunantly. I wasn't trying to start a race war or anything. I was simply hoping for a good discussion.

Another poster asked what my opinon was on the topic. Well, I know Will Muschamp at the time seemed like it made a lot of sense because he was deemed an up and coming head coach; however Strong was just as qualified as Will at the time in my opinion. Thus, I really don't have an answer and that is one of the reasons why I started the thread in the first place. Did Strong really interview that bad in the past? Did Muschamp make that good of an impression on Foley? Was it the fact that Muschamp was deemed the "head coach in waiting" at another good program? Was it the fact that we got stomped by Alabama in the 2009 SECC game? I can't put my finger on it really because it seemed like it came out of nowhere.

I know hind sight is 20/20 but looking at the current situation, Will Muschamp made 2 critical errors that will be his downfall in my opinion. Number one, he stuck with a QB that is prone to make mental errors at crucial moments (aka Driskeling). Number two, he isn't willing to adjust his system to meet the needs of the current talent. He tried to turn is into Alabama light and that was NOT the fabric of the Florida program. Again, maybe that was one of the reasons Foley wanted to hire Muschamp in the first place. Foley saw what Alabama did to us in the SECC game of 2009 and thought that the only way to beat that team was to transform our program into something similiar. I have no idea but I vivedly remember reading post after post following that game on gatorsports.com message board (sorry to say the name on here Ox). Most of the posts were saying how "soft" our team was and how "strong" Alabama was. People were saying that we got pushed around and we needed to be tough like Alabama. Maybe Foley thought the same thing and wanted us to be like them?

So why did I bring this topic up? ("Here we go again"- Savannah Gator LOL) Well, if we don't learn from our past, then we are doomed to repeat it. Plus, it is a really interesting discussion because post 2009 SECC game fans truly wanted us to be like Alabama. Currently, people are realizing that the Florida program is at its best when it is built utilizing our speedy athletes in space. That is one of the reasons why I believe fans are saying that we need an offensive coach instead of a defensive one (besides the fact that Zook was average and Muschamp was below of course). Personally, I think we could get a defensive coach that understands the culture of Florida's athletes and one that will adjust their system to our talent. Funny how

Again, I was NOT trying to start a race war. I was merely trying to start a healthy discussion about our past and what we can do to help shape our future in a positive way. I know we aren't hiring the next head coach or anything but it is still an interesting topic to discuss.

I never implied that you were trying to start a "race war." My post was only to make the argument that your question is fundamentally irrelevant, because based on timing factors, we could not have hired him when Urban left. There's really nothing to "learn from the past" or here, because what you were wishing for (or maybe better, trying to understand) could only have happened in some alternate universe. Charlie was not available when Urban left in 2010. He just wasn't going to leave Louisville after only one year.

Getting to Muschamp's mistakes, I don't see Driskel as big a mistake as hiring Charlie Weis. Remember that Driskel was really a non-factor in two seasons under Muschamp. In his first, in 2011, he wasn't the starter, got hurt when substituting for Brantley, and didn't see the position again. He started in 2012, in 2013, but got hurt, and he was done. I never thought Weis was a good fit. I always thought he was "in it for himself." I don't know who (off coord) was out there other than him, but surely there had to be someone who was as good or better that would have stuck with Will at least 2 or 3 years, or maybe even from 2011 to date. The lack of continuity at the OC position has really been our biggest problem.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n93495 said:
The lack of continuity at the OC position has really been our biggest problem.

No, Will Muschamp has been the biggest problem. He's just a bad coach. It just "is" at this point. The blame is ALL his and his alone. The guy should've never been hired.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The right coach and staff could absolutely transform UF into smashmouth style of offense similar to bama. It's not as if Saban is pulling from an entirely different set of recruits, we go after all the same kids. Muschamp's big downfall wasn't trying to "turn florida into something we are not" or failing to "properly understand in-state talent" or "the florida culture" (although he definitely has no understanding of it). His biggest flaw was no different than Foley's; believing Muschamp had the coaching chops to effectively head any major football program. He just doesn't. Is there anyone out there who honestly thinks that if he had come in from day one and said "we are going to be an up-tempo spread team" that our results would be any different? It aint the style of play he employs. It's just him.

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n93495 said:
I never implied that you were trying to start a "race war." My post was only to make the argument that your question is fundamentally irrelevant, because based on timing factors, we could not have hired him when Urban left. There's really nothing to "learn from the past" or here, because what you were wishing for (or maybe better, trying to understand) could only have happened in some alternate universe. Charlie was not available when Urban left in 2010. He just wasn't going to leave Louisville after only one year.

Getting to Muschamp's mistakes, I don't see Driskel as big a mistake as hiring Charlie Weis. Remember that Driskel was really a non-factor in two seasons under Muschamp. In his first, in 2011, he wasn't the starter, got hurt when substituting for Brantley, and didn't see the position again. He started in 2012, in 2013, but got hurt, and he was done. I never thought Weis was a good fit. I always thought he was "in it for himself." I don't know who (off coord) was out there other than him, but surely there had to be someone who was as good or better that would have stuck with Will at least 2 or 3 years, or maybe even from 2011 to date. The lack of continuity at the OC position has really been our biggest problem.

Wasn't talking about any one post in particular. I just like that fact that you stated "HERE WE GO AGAIN." I thought it was funny really. Thus, I used it in my post. Never said that you started a race war (why do I get the feeling that the term "race war" will live on at GatorChatter for some reason..lol) I was just alluding to the direction of the thread as a whole my friend.

Getting back on subject, of course it is technically fundamentally irrelevant if you look at it that way. It never happened right? Thus, it could be considered "fundamentally irrelevant"...lol. So I guess you truly believe that if we wanted Strong and was willing to pay him nicely he wouldn't leave Louisville because he wanted to be....loyal? LOL Not going to buy that one. Once Texas showed him the money, he was gone.

As far as Muschamp's mistakes, Charlie Weis was a bad hire and I agree with that. However, I think that goes to critical error number 2. Muschamp tried to turn us into something that we weren't ready to do. Again, he wanted us to become like Alabama.

Also, Muschamp's seat didn't become extremely hot until Driskel started...well....Driskeling. I know he was hurt in 2013 but he already started to show symptoms of it in the Sugar Bowl and in the Miami game. What makes you think he wasn't going to start Driskeling even more the rest of that season as well? Hell, the man got hurt on a pick six last year!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n93543 said:
The right coach and staff could absolutely transform UF into smashmouth style of offense similar to bama. It's not as if Saban is pulling from an entirely different set of recruits, we go after all the same kids. Muschamp's big downfall wasn't trying to "turn florida into something we are not" or failing to "properly understand in-state talent" or "the florida culture" (although he definitely has no understanding of it). His biggest flaw was no different than Foley's; believing Muschamp had the coaching chops to effectively head any major football program. He just doesn't. Is there anyone out there who honestly thinks that if he had come in from day one and said "we are going to be an up-tempo spread team" that our results would be any different? It aint the style of play he employs. It's just him.

THIS X 100000000000000

Will Muschamp's problem is Will Muschamp. He didn't succeed because he wasn't good enough. Rearrange those deckchairs and the Titanic still sinks. Same here.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n93500 said:
No, Will Muschamp has been the biggest problem. He's just a bad coach. It just "is" at this point. The blame is ALL his and his alone. The guy should've never been hired.

Wouldn't Muschamp be the reason for the lack of
T REX;n93500 said:
continuity at the OC position
. So you say no, to and then say that Will Muschamp is the biggest problem. But the problem he pointed out is Muschamp. If we are not sticking with an offensive system, and developing in that system (instead of being in the third distinctly different system in four years) wouldn't that be Muschamp's fault as Head Coach?

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906;n93553 said:
Wasn't talking about any one post in particular. I just like that fact that you stated "HERE WE GO AGAIN." I thought it was funny really. Thus, I used it in my post. Never said that you started a race war (why do I get the feeling that the term "race war" will live on at GatorChatter for some reason..lol) I was just alluding to the direction of the thread as a whole my friend.

Getting back on subject, of course it is technically fundamentally irrelevant if you look at it that way. It never happened right? Thus, it could be considered "fundamentally irrelevant"...lol. So I guess you truly believe that if we wanted Strong and was willing to pay him nicely he wouldn't leave Louisville because he wanted to be....loyal? LOL Not going to buy that one. Once Texas showed him the money, he was gone.

As far as Muschamp's mistakes, Charlie Weis was a bad hire and I agree with that. However, I think that goes to critical error number 2. Muschamp tried to turn us into something that we weren't ready to do. Again, he wanted us to become like Alabama.

Also, Muschamp's seat didn't become extremely hot until Driskel started...well....Driskeling. I know he was hurt in 2013 but he already started to show symptoms of it in the Sugar Bowl and in the Miami game. What makes you think he wasn't going to start Driskeling even more the rest of that season as well? Hell, the man got hurt on a pick six last year!

Yes, I admit that it's hard to tell if Driskel had not gotten hurt, whether we would have been better off in 2013. It is ironic (or perhaps telling) that, as you pointed out, he got hurt on a pick-6. And a hurt Murphy (unknown to us that he was hurt) almost pulled out the UGA game, but he was really too hurt to continue. No telling if we would have won LSU, UGA, Vandy, or SC last year if Murphy was healthy.

Our QB situation in general, even including Urban's last year, 2010, has been one of trying to fit a square QB in a round hole. Urban recruited Brantley (a "Florida guy" - I remember his dad at QB in 78, and he wasn't that good), a drop-back QB, for his spread offense, saying he'd adjust his theory to his personnel, which he didn't. Then Muschamp was stuck with Brantley, who really was a better fit for his offense, but he was also stuck with the Rainey/Demps "smurf" RBs, who weren't a good fit for his offense. The recruiting of Driskel actually started before Muschamp took over, so (irrespective of Driskel's faults) he now had a QB who was meant for the spread, not his pro-style offense. Even irrespective of Muschamp's faults, it's been one contradiction in football theory vs personnel after another.

Forget Charlie Strong - when Foley was trying to replace Urban in December 2010, he should have tried to have found another Urban, at least in offensive style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator