Why go to the shotgun when on the 1 yd line?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
G8RNGA;n101744 said:
I believe it was Meyer who at one time wasn't afraid to bring in DTs to help create a "heavy" set. We have Joyer warming the pine and could have this as an option in the event we need it for either a 3rd and one or a goal line situation.

Yep, amazing how Joyer has become completely irrelevant. I've seen him on ST's occasionally, but nothing on O. Must be frustrating for him...sitting and watching that prolific offense excel without him. Not sure why they're running a 177lb TB up the gut vs. LSU w/ him on the bench. Poor play calling/use of personnel. I blame Muschamp!

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agree that the play calling within the 5 was dreadful. I have no problem using the shotgun, but no play-action? I wonder if it was Roper's bad play-calling or Muschamp told him to pound it in. It seemed as if in the first half, they wanted to throw the ball as little as possible even though the passing game was much more successful than the run game. At least the coaches caught on and let Treon sling it around more in the second half.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The was something on the ESPN science segment, but I forget the exact name of it. They specifically had Tebow's shotgun goal line plays. By the math, the wildcat should produce a shorter amount of time to get to the LOS than handing it off in a traditional set.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
CapitalGator02;n101656 said:
Serious note, it gives the ball carrier the option to bounce it outside.

So why didn't we fake the give up the middle and bounce it out to the outside? We didn't do it on any of the plays preceding fourth down. That kind of fake can be SO effective.

My favorite Gator play of this variety goes waaaaaay back. SEC title game, 1993 (last year in Birmingham). Gators at the goal. Terry Dean does just that, fakes the give to Errictt Rhett up the gut and bootlegs outside. Not a soul gets within 10 feet of him and he scores.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n101837 said:
So why didn't we fake the give up the middle and bounce it out to the outside? We didn't do it on any of the plays preceding fourth down. That kind of fake can be SO effective.

My favorite Gator play of this variety goes waaaaaay back. SEC title game, 1993 (last year in Birmingham). Gators at the goal. Terry Dean does just that, fakes the give to Errictt Rhett up the gut and bootlegs outside. Not a soul gets within 10 feet of him and he scores.

Agree, but consider the HC and OC! They were amazing then! :wink:

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
bootleg at the goal line? Calling anything but off-tackle runs? Now that's just crazy.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n101754 said:
Put an O-linemen who isn't used to taking a snap?
That's my point. Size doesn't necessarily matter. What matters is putting the ball in the hands of the most skilled player in a certain situation, and Driskel is not and never will be that player.

There is no circumstance for Driskel to ever see the field in a Gator uniform again.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
CapitalGator02;n101941 said:
That's my point. Size doesn't necessarily matter. What matters is putting the ball in the hands of the most skilled player in a certain situation, and Driskel is not and never will be that player.

There is no circumstance for Driskel to ever see the field in a Gator uniform again.

And you opinion is noted. But by that opinion you are stating that a linemen would be a more elusive runner than Driskel. Driskel has many flaws as a quarterback, but he is a great athlete. To say he can't help the team in anyway is just hating on a guy who has given everything he has to play for this team, when the coaching staff put him in a bad position to suceed (continuing to play him at qb).

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
TheDouglas78;n101944 said:
And you opinion is noted. But by that opinion you are stating that a linemen would be a more elusive runner than Driskel. Driskel has many flaws as a quarterback, but he is a great athlete. To say he can't help the team in anyway is just hating on a guy who has given everything he has to play for this team, when the coaching staff put him in a bad position to suceed (continuing to play him at qb).

BUT, he is playing scared and has proven he cant take care of the ball..

GatorFin

Jul 24, 2014
Floridagator;n101694 said:
To answer your question. Unless repped enough a pure shotgun team is not wise to take under center snaps. It's really a high fumble scenario for a shotgun QB /C exchange. If you notice even the victory formation will be in shotgun.

I don't recall ever seeing us go victory formation in the shotgun.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n101946 said:
BUT, he is playing scared and has proven he cant take care of the ball..

As a quarterback he makes poor decisions, completely agree. Which is why unless absolutely needed, he shouldn't play qb.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;n101724 said:
I was just happy they didn't send 177lbs Powell right up the middle.

How many goal line stands have we gotten stuffed on this year? Has Roper ever heard of "the bootleg"? TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE play calling down there...
You think Roper is the one who is calling 7 straight up the guts? And before that it was Peas? And Weis before that?

Really?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorFin;n101947 said:
I don't recall ever seeing us go victory formation in the shotgun.

Take a knee at halftime when we are down by 30 on homecoming doesn't count as a victory formation, does it?

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n101948 said:
As a quarterback he makes poor decisions, completely agree. Which is why unless absolutely needed, he shouldn't play qb.
But there is the rub. JD's only a threat in the wildcat if there is the threat to pass, which there isn't. So the coaches are literally wasting a down by playing him. Just put in Matt Jones or KT, who have a much better possibility of scoring than JD.

Trust me, I know how hard JD works and feel terrible for the guy and the position he is currently in, but he does not help our team win on the field. It's not fair to the other players or, JD himself, when he's on the field.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
CapitalGator02;n101964 said:
But there is the rub. JD's only a threat in the wildcat if there is the threat to pass, which there isn't. So the coaches are literally wasting a down by playing him. Just put in Matt Jones or KT, who have a much better possibility of scoring than JD.

Trust me, I know how hard JD works and feel terrible for the guy and the position he is currently in, but he does not help our team win on the field. It's not fair to the other players or, JD himself, when he's on the field.

As bad as JD has been in the passing game, he is more of a passing threat than MJ or KT. Now as I stated earlier, I think Matt Jones would be a better fit. But if you are going to have one quarterback leap over the line to colide with a linebacker I would want Driskel over Harris. It's easier to get a tall guy just to cross the plane then a shorter smaller guy.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n101960 said:
You think Roper is the one who is calling 7 straight up the guts? And before that it was Peas? And Weis before that?

Really?

Pease or Weis I would say yes due to their history, we do not have the evidence to say yes or no on Roper.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n101976 said:
Pease or Weis I would say yes due to their history, we do not have the evidence to say yes or no on Roper.
Hilarious.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n101974 said:
As bad as JD has been in the passing game, he is more of a passing threat than MJ or KT. Now as I stated earlier, I think Matt Jones would be a better fit. But if you are going to have one quarterback leap over the line to colide with a linebacker I would want Driskel over Harris. It's easier to get a tall guy just to cross the plane then a shorter smaller guy.
We are on the same page. I just think we need to axe the run/pass option all together. The coaches don't need to find a position for JD just to find a position for JD.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
TheDouglas78;n101657 said:
6'4" 240 compared to 5'11" 180.. in power situations it makes sense. Especially we want to limit TH injuries.

Agree. He's a great power runner, and it keeps TH from getting hit.

Plus, it's nice to tell the defense that we're not scared to throw a pass into the dirt 2-3 yards in front of the intended receiver from time to time. Don't forget the psychological element of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.