Why isn't Damien Pierce getting more carries?

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
I never really understand these questions. I just think you're being overly emotional about something that has a very clear answer. Are you trying to imply that you know more than the staff when it comes to personnel decisions? Their human so it's totally plausible that they could just be making a mistake. There's also a chance that it's a personal reason their keeping him out of games.
However, I think it's simpler than that. He's a true freshman. Trust is something that's earned. As fans, we just see the bottom line. We see Pierce making good runs and we don't understand why he's not playing more. But there's more to playing running back. He's the last line of defense in protecting your most prized possession(QB). There's a lot of adjustments that an 18 year old has to make going to college. It's not always just about how good a guy can hit a hole.
Also, I remember Percy on that '06 team. He was more talented than anyone on the team, but he never started. I just think coaches prefer experience. You only go with the FR if there's no viable upperclassmen option.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I'm not okay with this at all. No player should "wait their turn" if they are the best at their position. I'm not a fan of upperclassmen getting starting jobs if it's not deserved. I'm not saying Pierce should be the starter but if he's the best back then that's who should start. There is a reason kids are choosing Bama, UGA Clemson, OSU they will start freshman.
I understand more or less but I think Perine did a good job and we should remember that it's only almost but not even midway through his true FR season. I would disagree that bama does not stagger PT for their RBs. There is not THAT much difference between our RB trio.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Perine and Scarlett are doing fine. Scarlett is really good at pass protection and is the guy you need when running and need those tough yards. Perine is a change of pace guy who has great vision. Davis would have been there too for the pass catching role and change of pace.

Pierce will be a great one but there are probably parts of his game that are not ready yet

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
25 carries in 6 games is too conservative. Thankfully I really like Scarlett and Perine and we are winning.
The difference is between 2 really solid, tough backs.....and a true game changing, once a generation type back. Pierce can take it to the house. I’m tired of talking about it. Coach has a wait your turn....get back in line conservative philosophy on this. I’m good with it because probably sooner rather than later it will be a moot point. Pierce will eventually get 15-20 carries and never look back.
It’s going to be exciting.
Even while there is no reason yet to believe Pierce is any more a threat to turn the ball over I can understand where the staff on this. Pierce probably not a good blocker yet. The season is still somewhat young but I would not be surprised to see Pierce catching some swing passes and being involved in some plays that really get him space. CDM has to be thinking there is more we can do than single back up the middle hand offs.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Perine elevated to our starter FWIW. He was money last Saturday.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I think it’s a lot simpler. DM has a hierarchy that he will stick to until he can’t.

Pierce is stronger, faster, more elusive, has better vision. He can pound, take it to the house, catch and block. But he will go last until he doesn’t. Then he will never go last again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.