Why only 10 runs by our running backs?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think the gameplan was to give Driskel most of the carries, and the reason why is because they thought they could build his confidence up by givin him some success in the ground game. His confidence must have been shot after UT, Driskel was then forced to be the starter, and he plays better when he has 10+ carries. There were just three problems with this gameplan: 1) He was running the ball so much that it became predictable, 2) Other playmakers like Taylor were not given opportunities, and 3) Driskel is still an inconsistant passer even when he has confidence.

Driskel had made big plays in the game (with some bad too), but when the game was on the line the most, he completely blew it. Whatever confidence he had built during the game must be all gone now. There is no way the team could ever trust him with the game on the line ever again. If the coaches want to move on and have a chance to win the East, they must put Driskel on the bench and give the team to Harris. That is the only way to encourage a team and fanbase that is bursting with disappiontment right now.

WillGetIn

Founding Member
Stalker
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Based on the way Muschamp has coached so far over the last few years, maybe the game plan in his mind was "Well, I can't just stick in Harris, cause I would have to go back on my word to Driskel that he is our guy. Keeping my word is important! So maybe if I make Roper run him, he'll get hurt. Then we can get Harris in and it won't look like I went back on my words..."

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not defending the play calling, but the just because the offensive line is not giving up sacks doesn't mean they are playing well. If you believe they are, you are accepting mediocrity.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorphan;n78345 said:
I'm not defending the play calling, but the just because the offensive line is not giving up sacks doesn't mean they are playing well. If you believe they are, you are accepting mediocrity.

:exactly:

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I also heard analysts saying that LSU has been getting burned by QB runs all year. So maybe it really was the plan.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n78383 said:
I also heard analysts saying that LSU has been getting burned by QB runs all year. So maybe it really was the plan.
Auburn and Miss State killed them in back to back weeks, but they both have solid O-lines and look who they have at QB vs JD.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hmm...according to this Lane is on ST.

http://www.alligator.org/sports/foot...e652e225b.html

LSU then proceeded to spike the ball with eight seconds remaining, Delahoussaye made the 50-yard go ahead field goal and LSU won after Adam Lane was tackled on the ensuing kick return.

I've also seen it floated around that maybe he's gained a ton of non muscle weight, and maybe that's a problem but I have no idea if that's true.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n79607 said:

Blaming that on Taylor is like blaming dropped passes on Driskel. Jeff was about to get a face full of corndog breath, Taylor was trying to protect his QB. The QB needs to see that blitz and knowing his protection lined up on the opposite side, needs to take a step back to allow his protection to do his job. In typical fashion, Jeff showed zero awareness of the situation.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
NavetG8r;n79622 said:
Blaming that on Taylor is like blaming dropped passes on Driskel. Jeff was about to get a face full of corndog breath, Taylor was trying to protect his QB. The QB needs to see that blitz and knowing his protection lined up on the opposite side, needs to take a step back to allow his protection to do his job. In typical fashion, Jeff showed zero awareness of the situation.

Or he needs to switch his protection to the blitz side. Basic stuff here. Taylor recognized the blitz and at least tried to block.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah... I don't what they coach him to do in that situation, but I don't know what else Taylor should have done... unless he just let the guy go because he couldn't get through Jeff? That doesn't make sense to me at all...

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n79646 said:
Yeah... I don't what they coach him to do in that situation, but I don't know what else Taylor should have done... unless he just let the guy go because he couldn't get through Jeff? That doesn't make sense to me at all...

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps he should have recognized the blitz as well and alerted JD to it maybe, prior to snap? Not saying he should have to do JD's job though. Otherwise, I wouldn't necessarily blame Taylor for what happened.

WillGetIn

Founding Member
Stalker
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorfin, thanks for the link.

Watching that play, Driskel points out the middle linebacker and that is who Taylor watched. Before the snap, Driskel sees the blitzer to the right and should have pointed that out to Taylor also.

In addition, watch where the receiver runs his pattern. Even if caught, it wouldn't have been a first down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator