Will Grier suspended rest of season for taking PEDs

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n296169 said:
If different college teams get different punishments it would go against the restoration process outlined by the 1 year suspension in the NCAA hand book of drug testing.

Cant read the article but some WSJ article this year claims Florida could give a min 6 game suspension for it while A&M could give as low as 1 game but I cant read it - like I said maybe the NCAA overrides that stuff now but the article was from March I think

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mr2Bits;n296158 said:
Can everyone stop referring to this as a steroid.....its classified as a PED and is one of the 650 stupid things on the NCAA list you can't accidentally take. You know there is too many things banned when cough medicine has to be checked. Could you imagine rolling up to a gas station and wanting to get a monster or 5 hour energy and not being able to swig it until its tested by a staff?

I take Zyrtec for my sinus allergies. I bet it's on the list.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jabberdave;n296170 said:
So...uhh....you guys want to get together a burn a couch or something? :suspect:

Based on the intellectually challenged callers from TN on the F-Bomb show, I think they're already lighting them up in the hills. :lol:

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n296175 said:
Originally posted by Mr2Bits View Post
Can everyone stop referring to this as a steroid.....its classified as a PED and is one of the 650 stupid things on the NCAA list you can't accidentally take. You know there is too many things banned when cough medicine has to be checked. Could you imagine rolling up to a gas station and wanting to get a monster or 5 hour energy and not being able to swig it until its tested by a staff?

I take Zyrtec for my sinus allergies. I bet it's on the list.

Friggin' druggie.....

ockgator

Sep 17, 2014
If UF claims it's NOT Ligandrol but an unknown substance, How can he be suspended for an "unknown" substance? Of course we all know it's "unknown" to us what the substance is... They may as well publish the name.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n296145 said:
If he was taking a supplement simply to try to put on weight, I don't care what it was. I don't think his UF career should end over it. Serve your suspension and then come back and play.

It's a continuity issue at this point. He can't just come back mid-season next year. WTF would that do to the team? Sorry but he screwed the pooch. We can't put football on hold for one kid. Gonna have to move on from the Grier era. Not our fault. You would sacrifice next season too for this kid?

Next man up.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ockgator;n296185 said:
If UF claims it's NOT Ligandrol but an unknown substance, How can he be suspended for an "unknown" substance? Of course we all know it's "unknown" to us what the substance is... They may as well publish the name.

The school knows. The person stating that doesn't.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
TheDouglas78;n296044 said:
No one to blame but himself. The trainers are there to test that kind of stuff for the players. What would it have hurt for him to have it tested?
He would have had to stop taking it. That's why he hid it.
On the other hand I'm under the assumption there are very few athletes at this level that don't use something on the band list so hope he sticks around and competes for the job when eligible again. In the mean time I think we have a pretty decent backup so all is far from lost. If Harris gets injured then it's time to panic.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n296187 said:
It's a continuity issue at this point. He can't just come back mid-season next year. WTF would that do to the team? Sorry but he screwed the pooch. We can't put football on hold for one kid. Gonna have to move on from the Grier era. Not our fault. You would sacrifice next season too for this kid?

Next man up.

He can still practice and if he's our best option when he's eligible again, he'll get another shot. To me, it's no different than Treon's suspension for weed, except the NCAA has a much stiffer penalty for PEDs than UF does for getting high. Kid screwed up and he's paying a stiff price for it.

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
Do they test during the suspension year? Maybe he can keep bulking up for 6 months and have plenty of time to get clean.😊

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
T REX;n296187 said:

Next man up.
How does keeping a kid on the roster sacrifice the season?

I don't think anyone is suggesting he would be given a starting spot when he's reinstated.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
He probably bought something to help him with the flu and it turns out there was some banned chemical in there. Sucks but we must move on.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n296198 said:
How does keeping a kid on the roster sacrifice the season?

I don't think anyone is suggesting he would be given a starting spot when he's reinstated.

I'm not saying kick him out of school but you can't put a season on hold. He cost us this season. And six games next year? Sorry, I'm just not buying that it is a good idea.

It sucks. It was a punch in the gut. And he loses a year of eligibility. I guess I have a hard time putting everything on hold for ANOTHER year and a half. Band-aids all over the place.

Next year was the year I was really hoping to take that next leap. This year is all gravy but next year. Let's get a starter we can rely on.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I am still shaking my head in disbelief. It just seems like other schools get away with so much crap and they play players that are in trouble and with all kinds of issues. I just feel like things should be the same across the board and it doesnt feel that way.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n296174 said:
Cant read the article but some WSJ article this year claims Florida could give a min 6 game suspension for it while A&M could give as low as 1 game but I cant read it - like I said maybe the NCAA overrides that stuff now but the article was from March I think

recreational drugs, the schools get to dictate.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
From FSU's Head Coach...

FSU’s Jimbo Fisher was stunned when he found out about the suspension of Florida quarterback Will Grier.
The coach was asked about Grier’s suspension of at least a year –because of taking performance-enhancing drugs – and what he does to make his players aware of PEDS during his news conference Monday afternoon.
“Wow,” Fisher said as he shook his head. “We have constant drug education. We test our guys every week. Certain guys get tested, the NCAA comes in and does those tests, we know that. Don’t take one thing and put in your body that you haven’t told us [about], shown us. We’ve got all the supplements, we’ve got the things that are legal. Trust us.
“That’s a tragedy and I’m very sorry for them and him. It’s sad to hear.”
Fisher said he may talk to his players today about the incident to remind them of the possible pitfalls of taking supplements.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...1012-post.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.