Will Grier suspended rest of season for taking PEDs

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
g8trs99;n296195 said:
Do they test during the suspension year? Maybe he can keep bulking up for 6 months and have plenty of time to get clean.😊

According to the guide book the NCAA starts testing on the 11th month of the suspension.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n296209 said:
I'm not saying kick him out of school but you can't put a season on hold. He cost us this season. And six games next year? Sorry, I'm just not buying that it is a good idea.

It sucks. It was a punch in the gut. And he loses a year of eligibility. I guess I have a hard time putting everything on hold for ANOTHER year and a half. Band-aids all over the place.

Next year was the year I was really hoping to take that next leap. This year is all gravy but next year. Let's get a starter we can rely on.

Cist us this season? Get a grip! It's one player, we're 6-0 and pretty healthy with the whole week to prepare. We've already played some of our toughest games and I can promise you the rest of the team will be ready to play the remainder of the games. Let's not throw in the towel just yet.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I have no doubt the suspension is going to be reduced on appeal. He'll be ready to go week 1 next season.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n296224 said:
I have no doubt the suspension is going to be reduced on appeal. He'll be ready to go week 1 next season.

I'm sure that is , hoping to be, UF's worst case scenario.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n296224 said:

Yeah I'm counting on this, as well, but we should remember that this IS the NCAA we're dealing with here.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n296224 said:

I sure a **** hope so. Apparently (according to Goldkamp) he's suspended for a year AND loses a year of eligibility on top of that. So if it's not reduced he'll be a redshirt junior when he comes back next year. I'm sorry but that's extremely wrong to take away two years of a kids collegiate career.

http://www.ncaa.org/compliance/reins...nce-ncaa-bylaw

Edit: Although this is from the NCAA website, the source is "staff interpretation". Surely this has to be wrong? Any thoughts Law?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
With Treon, we may still have a shot at LSU. UGA w/o Chubb is doable. Vandy and USCe are very doable. FSU just became difficult.

Also, never underestimate the power of an appeal. Likely won't win, but lawyers can be tricky bastards.

As for the flu theory, has anyone noticed how often steroids are prescribed nowadays? Prednisone is prescribed for any little cough. Who knows what he was prescribed. Keep in mind, just because something is over the counter doesn't mean there wasn't prescription strength that he took.

In all likelihood, he took something knowingly and made a mistake. He's a teenager who F'd up. Let's move on to Treon and let Grier own his accountability.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just watched Mac's presser. A couple of thoughts: we are in excellent shape with Mac at the helm. He will fill our trophy case and the right way, with the right kids. Of this I have NO doubt. He knows his Xs & Os and seems to have high character and a genuine fondness for his kids. Kids will play hard for him and he will recruit the best student-athletes. We are primed for some glory.

Secondly, Grier looked absolutely heartbroken. My heart goes out to him. I wanted to be angry with him, and now I just feel sympathy. He is just a kid and he accidentally just let his teammates, coaches, university and untold numbers of fans down. Consider all that for just a moment before you criticize him. He will be back. He is extremely talented and he demonstrated character standing up and addressing the media. He should pay his penance then be welcomed back without conditions.

As for Saturday: I still think we have a real shot. Our defense is at least directly unaffected by this - it's our 11 studs against Fournette. While I think we are a better team with Grier taking snaps, Treon can still make plays, runs better (might actually be an advantage against LSUs defense) and has won for us in the past in hostile environments.

Steady, people. We're going to be fine.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n296235 said:
I sure a **** hope so. Apparently he's suspended for a year AND loses a year of eligibility on top of that. So if it's not reduced he'll be a redshirt junior when he comes back next year. I'm sorry but that's extremely wrong to take away two years of a kids collegiate career.

http://www.ncaa.org/compliance/reins...nce-ncaa-bylaw

Edit: Although this is from the NCAA website, the source is "staff interpretation". Surely this has to be wrong? Any thoughts Law?

Pretty sure that's not how it works. He'll be a RS sophomore when he comes back next year. You just can't use a redshirt to cover for the suspension (if you have a redshirt available).

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n296247 said:
Pretty sure that's not how it works. He'll be a RS sophomore when he comes back next year. You just can't use a redshirt to cover for the suspension (if you have a redshirt available).

That's what I've said from the get-go (I've been arguing with Goldkamp at 247) but that link suggests otherwise. My logic was if someone was a true sophomore and tested positive in July they can't just come back as a redshirt sophomore next year.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n296250 said:
That's what I've said from the get-go (I've been arguing with Goldcamp at 247) but that link suggests otherwise. My logic was if someone was a true sophomore and tested positive in July they can't just come back as a redshirt sophomore next year.

Yeah Goldkamp is wrong. There's no way that's the actual penalty.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n296237 said:
With Treon, we may still have a shot at LSU. UGA w/o Chubb is doable. Vandy and USCe are very doable. FSU just became difficult.

Also, never underestimate the power of an appeal. Likely won't win, but lawyers can be tricky bastards.

As for the flu theory, has anyone noticed how often steroids are prescribed nowadays? Prednisone is prescribed for any little cough. Who knows what he was prescribed. Keep in mind, just because something is over the counter doesn't mean there wasn't prescription strength that he took.

In all likelihood, he took something knowingly and made a mistake. He's a teenager who F'd up. Let's move on to Treon and let Grier own his accountability.

in what world is fsu more difficult than lsu?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Our receivers should still be able to break clear, but can a short QB spot them through tall Ds upraised arms ?

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
I haven't read or heard anything from any of the talking heads that makes it sound like a reduction of the penalty is likely at all. Unless he has tape of somebody holding him down and forcing it down his throat, or telling him its Skittles when in fact its whatever it is, I think he's sunk.

If its truly the case that he loses a year of eligibility along with a 365 day suspension, then the Grier era is over at UF, just no way we don't move on.

DeltaGlamma

Born a Gator
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Treon just needs to stay out of trouble, something he has already proven to be not very good at.

The loss of Grier is devastating to me, I wish we had more facts about when/what he took.

I was so excited about the possibilities for this year, but I definitely feel we are well coached and will be okay. TG chimp is gone, it would have been the great excuse to lose all our remaining games!

I hate MONDAYS!

TG for wine :)

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We will be ok, maybe not great but ok.

Go Gators!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users