Will Grier suspended rest of season for taking PEDs

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
NavetG8r;n299167 said:
If Coach Collins doesn't get our boys doing a better job of staying at home, we're going to keep getting our butts whipped on trick plays all year. 2 teams have done it to us successfully. You better bet every coach left on our schedule is paying attention because they know points don't come easy against these Gators.

I agree. I will however point out that Collins is able to make adjustments. I dont like that it takes 1/2 of a game to do it. I dont hate him like law does and I think he is a decent coach...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n300201 said:
I agree. I will however point out that Collins is able to make adjustments. I dont like that it takes 1/2 of a game to do it. I dont hate him like law does and I think he is a decent coach...
I don't hate him. I just hate soft zone/prevent/bend defenses. He is the one who chooses to play it, until Mac straightens his azz out at half time.

I wonder how much patience Mac has for this.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n300219 said:
I don't hate him. I just hate soft zone/prevent/bend defenses. He is the one who chooses to play it, until Mac straightens his azz out at half time.

I wonder how much patience Mac has for this.

Well... I told you we'd play the same bend but don't break defense against LSU and you said if we did, we'd lose. Guess what?...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n300229 said:
Well... I told you we'd play the same bend but don't break defense against LSU and you said if we did, we'd lose. Guess what?...
Yeah, well, there is that.... You win. I just thought we'd be smarter than that. There is no excuse for 28 points in the 2nd quarter. I'm amazed that people are bytching about Treon and Taylor and given Coach Sideways Hat a pass for his shytastic gameplan.

The thing is, people think playing soft zone helps the DBs, but it doesn't. They take their drops then have to basically wait a second for the WRs to get to them, now at full speed, then the deep zones (usually safeties but sometimes CBs in cover 3 or 4) pick which one to cover and how to move (deeper than the deepest). It's hard to have an SEC receiver running at you full speed and have to try to intercept them by accelerating from a stop to try to cover them. So many times they just blow right by the flatfooted safeties, remember they have to peek inside to read runs, as we've seen so often. Moreover the gaps between the safeties (or deep corners) and backers are so much larger that it makes it easy for even poor QBs to hit the intermediate routes. The gaps in front of the LBs are also huge, not that some of our LBs have any ability to cover regardless of the scheme.

It's also really hard for the safeties to be so soft and deep when on running plays too, when they usually C/D gap responsibilities or have to clean up inside when Morrison completely disappears for an entire game again. They are so deep that they tend to try to cheat on the run, so as to not get abused by the TB, and find themselves just like they were in that long TD on the flea flicker, running the wrong damn way (both of them) when they SHOULD have noticed a receiver still running his route.

If you are going to beat us, we should make you work at it. Stuff the box and make you hit the long pass over the top (not in front of) the safeties. Most of these college QBs just can't hit those and many cant hit anything if you don't let them gain confidence by giving them the easy short passes in front of the soft zone repeatedly.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n300232 said:
Yeah, well, there is that.... You win. I just thought we'd be smarter than that. There is no excuse for 28 points in the 2nd quarter. I'm amazed that people are bytching about Treon and Taylor and given Coach Sideways Hat a pass for his shytastic gameplan.

The thing is, people think playing soft zone helps the DBs, but it doesn't. They take their drops then have to basically wait a second for the WRs to get to them, now at full speed, then the deep zones (usually safeties but sometimes CBs in cover 3 or 4) pick which one to cover and how to move (deeper than the deepest). It's hard to have an SEC receiver running at you full speed and have to try to intercept them by accelerating from a stop to try to cover them. So many times they just blow right by the flatfooted safeties as we've seen so often. Moreover the gaps between the safeties (or deep corners) and backers are so much larger that it makes it easy for even poor QBs to hit the intermediate routes. The gaps in front of the LBs are also huge, not that some of our LBs have any ability to cover regardless of the scheme.

It's also really hard for the safeties to be so soft and deep when on running plays too, when they usually C/D gap responsibilities or have to clean up inside when Morrison completely disappears for an entire game again. They are so deep that they tend to try to cheat on the run, so as to not get abused by the TB, and find themselves just like they were in that long TD on the flea flicker, running the wrong damn way (both of them) when they SHOULD have noticed a receiver still running his route.

If you are going to beat us, we should make you work at it. Stuff the box and make you hit the long pass over the top (not in front of) the safeties. Most of these college QBs just can't hit those and many cant hit anything if you don't let them gain confidence by giving them the easy short passes in front of the soft zone repeatedly.

For the record, I'm not looking for an, "I told you so." I'm just not surprised we didn't do much of anything different. I think we let our egos get in the way for that game.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n300235 said:
I think we let our egos get in the way for that game.

I don't think...And the last time they let their egos get in the way, we barely beat ECU. It's time they get over themselves.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n300242 said:
I saw alot of the same problems with chumps D.
I agree. There are schematic problems with our defense, like I just presented in my last rant, but there are also personnel problems. Maye and Neal are really both strong safety types. Better inside against the run. Neither have much cover skills.

The LBs are a hot mess. We desperately needed Anzalone to stay healthy. He was finally looking like that 5 star prospect. Morrison is great blitzing, not real good vs run (often takes the wrong gap), and nonexistent in coverage. Jarrad is playing well but he's a lil small and gets trucked inside. He really should be outside. Our lack of depth means we basically play nickel all the time, forcing Poole to serve as an OLB.

We have no real NTs. There isn't a Sharif Floyd or Omar Hunter to plug the middle on the roster. Almost all of our DL should be DEs.

It's hard to fix problems like being soft up the middle regardless of scheme.

I hope we are out beg borrowing and stealing ever real NTs (calling the next Mt Codys) and inside LBs we can find. We really need some Jucos to fix Chimp's roster issues. Hopefully guys who can enroll in January and be in spring practice.

We have two weeks, hopefully enough to make some changes. I wouldn't mind seeing McCallister and others moved back to Sam. He has been dropping back into coverage some the last few games on zone blitzes. I'd rather have McCallister playing SAM than see Poole trying to play inside.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I think we sign top 5 classes over the next couple years and I am confident this staff is aware of our weaknesses...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.