Not open for further replies.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Strategy Against Idaho:
Defense: Be attacking, ball hawking killers. Play like Gods.
Offense: Fast paced and relentless, showing progressive philosophical changes under Kurt Roper… until the first turnover. After that look for the Gators to scratch all plays that could potentially put the defense in a tough spot. Maybe a few punts on third down.
:lol:

I actually mentioned this in the podcast. How will Muschamp react when the newly-fangled offense he doesn't want turns the ball over?

That's a legitimate question, not me being a "hater" or some such thing.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He doesn't want a new offense? Why did he fire Pease then?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n35955 said:
He doesn't want a new offense? Why did he fire Pease then?
Save his job.

Genuine question: Do you really think Muschamp wants an up-tempo spread offense?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Disclaimer: Let's try and discuss this in a civil manner.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n35956 said:
Save his job.

Genuine question: Do you really think Muschamp wants an up-tempo spread offense?

I've never heard him say he wanted an up-tempo spread offense, but I'm pretty sure he wants an offense that can score points more so than we have in the past. And I know he wants a balanced offense, but hell...pretty much every coach wants that.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
oxrageous;n35956 said:
Save his job.

I think he wants a offense that wins games, and he knows now that the crap we tried last year is not the way to do it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n35959 said:
I've never heard him say he wanted an up-tempo spread offense, but I'm pretty sure he wants an offense that can score points more so than we have in the past. And I know he wants a balanced offense, but hell...pretty much every coach wants that.
I think Muschamp wants to score points. I think he wants to win. However, it's been pretty well established he likes to run the ball and control the clock. That's his comfort zone. Personally I think he's probably pretty damn annoyed he was forced to go with an offense like Roper's. He chose a coordinator like Brent Pease for a reason. So, I'm very interested to see how he reacts when UF turns it over. Hell, I'm interested to see if he'll let Roper do his thing without getting involved in general.

I think that's a genuine thing to be concerned with. No hate involved.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I believe Muschamp would love for an offense that takes their time to score but he will gladly take an offense that scores quickly over an offense that takes their time and doesn't score at all.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp wants to play it safe, but the irony is we turn the ball over just the same slamming into the line and throwing on 3rd and 9.

I say he lets his coaches coach and stay out of the offense. It's a role reversal of the legendary coaching staff of Ed "Straight Arrow" Gennaro.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n35956 said:
Save his job.

I believe due to is self professed philosophy he would prefer a pro-style, smash mouth balanced offense. This is a change by realizing the landscape of college football has changed since during his time, or just trying to keep his job. Which is reason, who knows?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty lame attempt at humor. Only thing that was funny was Zook's name below AH's on the successor list.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm hoping he was truly humbled after last year and really commits to this uptempe spread offense. This is hope I don't know what I believe because you can't get a feel for these things during interviews.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you watch his answer to the writer at yesterday's presser at the 9:10 mark you will see he hasn't changed at all..... Give him a 3 possession lead in second half and he will never pass the ball. I can live with that if he has a good defense, which he didn't have last year in spite of stats. .... He has little clue about being a COO, which is basically what a HBC is.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think...
  1. Muschamp is at least as smart and knowledgeable about football as anyone on this board.
  2. most Gator fans were thrilled to transition from a spread attack to a pro-style "Alabama" offense that would not only be able to compete against the elite SEC defenses but also would attract top pro-style offensive recruits. I'm positive that both of those elements were touted as big positives when he came, following Meyer.
  3. Muschamp saw in 2012, through shamefully close wins to subpar opponents, that he needed to open up the offense more and stop relying so heavily on his defense.
  4. the staff was willing to open it up some last year (see Miami game), but lost their starting QB, had their 2nd QB injured, and tried to just hobble out the rest of the season.
  5. Muschamp has learned that his team is going to have to score points - and that his offense and OL need some decent coaching.
I really think that's reasonable. Say what you will about his tendencies and preferences, but we don't have much of a sample of him leading this team after the 2012 season when he's had a QB that the staff had confidence in. I hope I'm right that he has indeed learned that he needs an offense too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator