Win out

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Funny people keep calling it a "depth" problem. It isn't a "depth" problem any more than LB or DE is. It is a talent problem.
You're parsing words. It's a depth problem when you have to contemplate whether your second- and third-stringers could make the roster at Vanderbilt.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You're parsing words. It's a depth problem when you have to contemplate whether your second- and third-stringers could make the roster at Vanderbilt.
I get paid for parsing words.

Let's put it another way. No team does well losing two starters to injuries and two others to suspensions or whatever is wrong with Stewart and Edwards.

However, a team with depth puts Shawn Davis and Trey Dean on the field, they struggle a bit for a few games. However, eventually they are at least competent SEC players bc they are at least SEC level talent. A team with no talent puts Stiner, McWilliams and Taylor on the field.

I would also note we have Burney, Reese the younger, Jaylin Jackson, Quency Lenton, Iverson Clement, Dre Massey, Daquon Green, and Rick Wells, on the sideline, all of whom have SEC speed and talent. (Lenton might be a stretch on the talent thing.)

Do our DBs look a lot like this?

It shouldnt be surprising considering we hired the Voles DB coach, should it?

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Missouri is 0-4 in the SEC. Frankly the FSU game scares me more than the Missouri game.

I agree that FSU ,may be our biggest challenge. Lock had a bad game against UK with a QBR OF 38 and 165 yards on 15 completions. We will need to pressure him but that leaves the DB's man on man. If Henderson can't go then the the next boys up need to be coached up or it may be a long day. One game at a time.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I get paid for parsing words.

Let's put it another way. No team does well losing two starters to injuries and two others to suspensions or whatever is wrong with Stewart and Edwards.

However, a team with depth puts Shawn Davis and Trey Dean on the field, they struggle a bit for a few games. However, eventually they are at least competent SEC players bc they are at least SEC level talent. A team with no talent puts Stiner, McWilliams and Taylor on the field.

I would also note we have Burney, Reese the younger, Jaylin Jackson, Quency Lenton, Iverson Clement, Dre Massey, Daquon Green, and Rick Wells, on the sideline, all of whom have SEC speed and talent. (Lenton might be a stretch on the talent thing.)

Do our DBs look a lot like this?

It shouldnt be surprising considering we hired the Voles DB coach, should it?
McWilliams looked continually lost yesterday. You'd have thought he was trying to cover Jerry Rice. Wilson and Henderson are key losses for this team.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
McWilliams likely wouldn't be playing at FIU or FAU.

Awe shucks.... that's cool aint it?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

It'll take 2.5 recruiting classes to clean out the stench. Even then we may have holes to fill.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm also more worried about South Carolina than Missouri. Missouri flat out sucks and Lock has always been overrated. Hell, he's a senior now and he's worse than ever.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Yep. McWilliams should have never been signed. There's so many good high 3-star CB's in this state....and they go after him? On another note: you better STFU w/ your stupid "just move over a failed WR". I know we don't play a lot of good passing teams....but we play enough. With our scheme we need stud CB's, not McWilliams's.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yep. McWilliams should have never been signed. There's so many good high 3-star CB's in this state....and they go after him?

Go after him? We took his commitment and then held on for dear life as he made a signing day decision between us and Temple. Every single person on that staff should've been fired the moment that happened.

As for the "just move a WR over" idea, I think the point is we don't have much to lose at this stage. Someone in that group should at least be getting looks in practice. Reggie Lewis was never going to be a permanent piece of our defense, but he had ample speed and wanted to play. I'm not saying we put a 4th string WR out there just to do it, and I know it's being a bit oversimplified here. But I do think it's worth exploring. As was said in another thread, all OC's are going to go after CJM and Stiner/Taylor every time they see them on the field. We can't always bank on Zuniga or Polite to get pressure and force an errant throw.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
We can't always bank on Zuniga or Polite to get pressure and force an errant throw.
Lately we haven't been able to bank on those guys at all. I think I saw Polite on the side of a milk carton.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Lately we haven't been able to bank on those guys at all. I think I saw Polite on the side of a milk carton.

Teams are going to gameplan to take him out of the picture as much as possible. He also needs to develop a different move, because he's not been able to just blow by OT's with his speed in recent weeks.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We must beat FSU, absolutely must.

The Franks "don't let him lose us the game" approach will work against Mizzou, SC, and Idaho. It won't work in a hostile rival game in Tallacrappy or against any Big Ten D in a bowl game, that is where EJ needs to be given quality snaps while saving his redshirt.

Glad the Mizzou game is a 4 instead of noon. If FSU keeps reeling, since it is in Tallacrappy and ABC/ESPN gets the choice, that game might get buried at noon on ESPNU.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We must beat FSU, absolutely must.

The Franks "don't let him lose us the game" approach will work against Mizzou, SC, and Idaho. It won't work in a hostile rival game in Tallacrappy or against any Big Ten D in a bowl game, that is where EJ needs to be given quality snaps while saving his redshirt.

Glad the Mizzou game is a 4 instead of noon. If FSU keeps reeling, since it is in Tallacrappy and ABC/ESPN gets the choice, that game might get buried at noon on ESPNU.

Without some serious uptick in performance, that Tally game may be the tamest atmosphere Franks has seen all year. I still think FF may be fine. He had a really bad game, but I don't think it's completely over for him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. McWilliams should have never been signed. There's so many good high 3-star CB's in this state....and they go after him? On another note: you better STFU w/ your stupid "just move over a failed WR". I know we don't play a lot of good passing teams....but we play enough. With our scheme we need stud CB's, not McWilliams's.
Most of the stud WRs played CB in HS and were studs at it too. The ones who couldn't catch stayed at CB in college.

Have you ever watched a college football game? Unless you are talking about IMG or Moeller, many kids play 2 ways.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I like our chances against FSU....Although it might not be pretty I think we can run the sideways passing game(WR screens), pound Perine, Scarlett, and Pierce and along with blitzing the bejesus out of their QB, probably grind out a 34-14 or something like that win.....yeah, I know it doesn't sound pretty but we MUST beat them this year.

The Mizzou and USCe games will probably be very close until the 4th quarter.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm also more worried about South Carolina than Missouri. Missouri flat out sucks and Lock has always been overrated. Hell, he's a senior now and he's worse than ever.
The margin is tight for every team, no doubt.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

Maybe but it seems that these "lousy" QBs look like world beaters when we play them.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Read their board...the majority think they can win here, and they are ALL bitching en masse about their schedule next year, building up the excuse train for Duncechump:

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Quency Lenton

Out for the season since pre-season, but the point stands. Just want to parse words with you.:fistbump:

Anyways, Edwards should've come in after it was clear McWilliams was gonna blow it. As I've said in other posts, Chauncey should've been moved out and we figure something out. The good news is think of next year with Lenton back, Stewart, Wilson, Chauncey, Henderson (not great, but way better than McWilliams), Dean and possibly some 4 and 5 stars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.