Winning and Recruiting

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We didn't used to play the Vols every year. In 1990, Spurrier's first year, we went up to Knoxville for the first time in a long time. The game was close until just before half. Dale Carter ran back a kick for a TD. That opened the floodgates in the second half and they stomped us good, 45-3. That was shortly after the Gainesville Student Murders and our fans who went to the game in Knoxville came back saying the Tennessee students were chanting about the murders.

We should have won the SEC that year, we had the best record, but we were on probation and Tennessee took the prize that was rightfully ours. They also won the SEC in 1989 so they were back-to-back SEC champs. Our players, coaches, and fans all wanted Tennessee bad.

The next year, 1991, we installed the new North Endzone turning the Swamp from a horseshoe to a bowl. In fact, it was that year that Spurrier named the place the "Swamp".

Tennessee rolled into Gainesville for a night game. They had a great QB, Andy Kelly, and maybe the best WR in the country in Carl Pickens. And they had Dale Carter on defense and special teams. They were looking to threepeat as SEC champions. We were hoping for our first "official" SEC championship.

It was one of the loudest games I've ever attended. Maybe the loudest. It was insane. Because it was at night, we didn't have the heat sucking the energy out of us. We poured it all down on the Vols. They were a good team that year. A damn good team. And it was a close game.

We had a freshman Corner named Larry Kennedy and that was the matchup Tennessee wanted to exploit. They tried to get Pickens on Kennedy all night. He rose to the occasion and played the game of his life. Pickens caught a lot of balls, but we kept him out of the endzone. In the 4th quarter, Kennedy intercepted a pass intended for Pickens and returned it 44 yards for a touchdown. Ballgame. The crowd that had been wild all night went berserk. We tossed anything we could get our hands on into the air, mostly coke cups but really anything. They would come back down and we would throw them back up again, over and over again. It looked like popcorn popping in the student section. Many of these cups ended up pelting the Volunteer section and possibly even their sideline...or so I heard. It was after that game that the SEC made it a rule that you couldn't put your students on top of the opposing teams sideline. But I digress. They actually had to stop the game to restore order and get the student section calmed down enough to continue the game.

It was painfully loud that game. Head throbbing, ear splitting, loud. The relentless energy of the crowd was just incredible. I remember the Tennessee players keeping their helmets on while on the sideline, and covering their earholes with their hands. Just made us scream at them harder.

So why am I telling this story? In the South Endzone there was a small section that was almost calm amidst the pandemonium of that night. Young faces. Wide eyed. These were the recruits coming in to watch the Gators play.

Remember that in 1991, it was FSU and Miami who had been top 5 (and even National Champs) for years while Florida languished on probation and played boring (no offense, Emmitt) football.

Well, those recruits were AWED by what they saw and what they heard that night. We didn't get every one of them, but we got most of them. Those recruits went on to win a bunch of SECs and were the junior and senior leaders of our 1995 and 1996 teams culminating in our first National Championship.

That's why when I was at Ole Miss last week I looked for the recruits in the South Endzone. I was hoping the energy and atmosphere would have the same effect on them that it had on their predecessors that night in 1991.

Here's Zack's article on who was there for the Ole Miss game (and many of them were there for the previous week's game against Tennessee as well): http://recruiting.blogs.gatorsports.com/21110/top-uf-targets-returning-for-ole-miss-game/

It wasn't the same experience as that night in 1991, but it was a damn special night in the Swamp last week. I have a strong suspicion that we will see a lot of those kids on our sidelines in the coming years.

Alex.

Sep 29, 2015
AlexDaGator;n293015 said:
In the South Endzone there was a small section that was almost calm amidst the pandemonium of that night. Young faces. Wide eyed. These were the recruits coming in to watch the Gators play.

Almost calm amidst the pandemonium, wide-eyed. That's how I would describe the recruits I sat close to in the South Endzone for the Ole Miss game. To be honest, I thought they'd be exuberant or raucous (I wouldn't know how they would act, having never been a D 1 football recruit). It almost seemed like they were awed by the whole environment more than anything, which surprised me. Hopefully that bodes well for the future...

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If the excitement surrounding the program and the atmosphere in the Swamp doesn't do it, someone should just tell them the "Tale of Two Recruits: CeCe Jefferson Byron Cowart"

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n293022 said:
I couldn't imagine any recruit going to the last two home games and not wanting to go to UF.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for.

Night games in the Swamp are special. We haven't had many in the past few years. This year the football gods are smiling on us. Big games and big wins. I hope it pays a big recruiting dividend.

Alex.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;293037 said:
That's exactly what I'm hoping for.

Night games in the Swamp are special. We haven't had many in the past few years. This year the football gods are smiling on us. Big games and big wins. I hope it pays a big recruiting dividend.

Alex.
with the way the tv deals work now expect more and more night games for the foreseeable future...actually it will probably be the norm from now on

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Emmitt

Sep 8, 2014
That was well written. I wasn't at the game but it was very obvious from the TV/radio that it was an incredible atmosphere. Thank you for posting.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I couldn't imagine any recruit going to the last two home games and not wanting to go to UF.

Yep. And as I've said before, the offensive game sets everything else up. Several defensive players have either called us their leader, or have named us in their top lists since that first game. As much as they might be drawn to a DC or scheme's success, they also want to be a part of a team that can and will produce wins. There's an energy right now that hasn't been present in years.

The oddest quote was from after the ut game, where a kid basically said we were tied with miami? It just struck me as crazy that someone could witness that game, and be down to that atmosphere, or this...

miami-cheerleader-wants-noise-in-empty-stadium.gif

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Kids that go to Miami just want to wear the U and get paid handsomely by whatever Ponzi scheme is funneling money into the program. And that's about it.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;293073 said:
Yep. And as I've said before, the offensive game sets everything else up. Several defensive players have either called us their leader, or have named us in their top lists since that first game. As much as they might be drawn to a DC or scheme's success, they also want to be a part of a team that can and will produce wins. There's an energy right now that hasn't been present in years.

The oddest quote was from after the ut game, where a kid basically said we were tied with miami? It just struck me as crazy that someone could witness that game, and be down to that atmosphere, or this...

I'm guessing the kid just wants to enjoy some trips to South Beach on UM's dime.

Surely it's not about playing for their dozens of fans.

Alex.

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014

Exactly! And we had quite a few there in the last two weeks. My guess is we get at least 3-4 of those 5 stars we are after late in the thing

Sep 29, 2015
Living in So Fla and having to listen to scUM radio on occasion, the atmosphere around the program is beyond toxic. Former players don't recognize it. Die hard fans I know are completely apathetic. Golden is a dead man walking. Etc. Etc. I don't understand how any recruit could want to attend that dumpster fire over Florida. Indeed, their top recruit, Sam Bruce, is said to be an inevitable gator flip.

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
soflagator;n293073 said:

What are we looking at here, the empty stands or the bouncing girl :hehehe:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator2002;293146 said:
What are we looking at here, the empty stands or the bouncing girl :hehehe:

why can't we look at both?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was at that UT game. We have season tix in the North Endzone. Great game. Thanks for jogging the memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.