Winning at Florida was no longer fun

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep Meyer wasn't used to staying anywhere long. My guess is he isn't at OSU much more than 6 years but it probably is a lot less stressful being in the Big 10 now.

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
One thing I've always suspected that he confirmed is that the loss of the Meyer Coaching inner circle took it's toll on Meyer's psyche/"health"

I was left wondering: Was he talking about the grind of building programs in general or heightened expectations at UF that made it not fun? If it's the latter, he's most likely got bile in his throat thinking about the Swamp and we can't strike him from any "UPDATED" coaching list.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Gator Fever;n104849 said:
Yep Meyer wasn't used to staying anywhere long. My guess is he isn't at OSU much more than 6 years but it probably is a lot less stressful being in the Big 10 now.
They'll be plenty of stress if they slip up at Minnesota, although it's a long shot.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You know what I took from that? Urban looked around and found all of his long time assistants gone and said "**** this...I'm out". He didn't have what it took to "rebuild" again at a program with such lofty expectations (which he was partly responsible for). Hope he's learned from it and wish him nothing but the best...except when he faces the Gators.

BoomTown

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n104859 said:
You know what I took from that? Urban looked around and found all of his long time assistants gone and said "**** this...I'm out". He didn't have what it took to "rebuild" again at a program with such lofty expectations (which he was partly responsible for). Hope he's learned from it and wish him nothing but the best...except when he faces the Gators.

I work for a bucknut. I wish him nothing but defeat every week. That sorry-ask b-ball team of theirs too. No need to hear about B1G anything in the office.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting comments about leadership coming from the players once a program is established. When Tebow and Spikes left, there was a huge vacuum. I think we are finally at a point with Garcia, Fowler, VH3, Davis, Harris, etc. that we have leadership throughout the classes. It's not just one or two guys, and they seem to be on the same page as well. I know a lot of people don't like Muschamp as a coach, but he really has built a locker room culture that is built on mutual respect. We don't have the Pouncey vs. Freshmen issues, or a divided locker room that appears to have been instigated at some level by Elam. I think everyone was shocked with the Orr situation because the culture here has gotten progressively better since Muschamp has arrived. I know some are pointing to Willis/Morningwood, but there is a reason why that blew over so quickly, and I think it's because the me first attitudes have been significantly adjusted.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I am greatful to Urban and crew for bringing us 2 NCs. Alot of their time here was fun. The buzz has never returned since.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
And this is coming from a guy that only experienced through the 2008 season when we were treating every team post-Ole Miss like our own personal pinatas. Imagine if he had been around for our miserable sack of a fan base during the 2009 season. Then again, the fact that he was gone and Addazio was the OC was a huge part of our problem in 2009, but good grief. Was 2008 really that bad for them?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
MJMGator;n104859 said:

I agree. He lost a ton of coaching talent. Mullen is at Miss State, Dan McCarney at North Texas, Holliday at Marshall (and doing great), Strong (to Louisville/Texas), Addazio (Temple/BC)...plus other good assistants who moved on.

He hired an All-Star cast at Ohio State. Amazing the talent he put together for the first coaching staff he had there. I imagine the year off (actually 2 years off if you count his last year at UF) helped him put out a lot of feelers. He lost Everitt Withers to James Madison last off season. Withers brought 2 or 3 OSU employees (non-coaches) who are now assistant coaches there. But other than that has maintained a very stable coaching staff there.

He hired two assistants this past year (to fill the Withers void):

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/01/report_ohio_state_hires_arkans.html

For the last two years, Urban Meyer loved to trot out a line about eight of his nine assistants being from Ohio and the other, Everett Withers, wishing that he was. He can't use that line any longer. But in filling the two holes on his defensive staff, Meyer grabbed two guys with Big Ten pedigrees.
According to a report from Pete Thamel at SI.com, Meyer has chosen Arkansas defensive coordinator Chris Ash as his new co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach, while former Penn State assistant Larry Johnson has agreed to become the new defensive line coach. A source confirmed to the Northeast Ohio Media Group that Ohio State plans to officially announce the hires on Wednesday.

BoomTown

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n104935 said:
Apparently so. I've had to give presentations where I was relieved as soon as if was over. The Gators were beating people's brains in. You would have thought they had some fun along the way.

You would have thought, but this is pretty close to some of the same things SOS said regarding his departure. He really started saying similar things before he left. It's a bit painful to remember that some of his teams were booed the last few years he was here. Pretty sad. I don't think the same fans would boo those teams today.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
2ugib1z.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.